XXX pop ups
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XXX pop ups

XXX pop ups

Hi

I keep getting a load of pop ups and most of them seem to be XXX ones even on sites i know that doesn't have pop ups.

I have Ad-Aware installed and run it daily so something must be installed on my comp that Ad-Aware doesn't recognise, any advice of anything else i can do?

Thnx

Stop browsing warez sites and install the Google toolbar to block popups.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by houllier*
    Hi

I keep getting a load of pop ups and most of them seem to be XXX ones even on sites i know that doesn't have pop ups.

I have Ad-Aware installed and run it daily so something must be installed on my comp that Ad-Aware doesn't recognise, any advice of anything else i can do?

Thnx
    Download and run HijackThis and let us have a look> but not too much of a look.
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

Hi

Thnx
    Do you have Spybot Search and Destroy? Have you updated Ad-Aware? Delete cookies?

Adept-Why add a toolbar? Personally I hate all those toolbars, I have a 19 inch monitor and want to look at all of it.

I have had a lot of customers with this same problem. I run Ad-aware, Spybot, CWShredder, virus scan. Then I run Msconfig and do a search on anything I don't recognize. Usually end up having to boot in DOS to delete the files named in Msconfig. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by asm481
    ...Adept-Why add a toolbar? Personally I hate all those toolbars, I have a 19 inch monitor and want to look at all of it.
    It's the only thing that has successfully worked for me so far (over 1200 popups blocked since I installed it).

You can read what other techs here have said about it here: Google Toolbar.

It doesn't take up anymore space on my IE toolbar as I've moved it to a better position suiting my needs. I hate clutter too.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    There was a new build of ad-aware that came out a while back, and all the updates are for that new build. I think its build 181. If you've been getting 'no updated components available' for a long time, you need to uninstall what you have and download the latest version of it.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Quote Originally Posted by FatalException0E
    There was a new build of ad-aware that came out a while back, and all the updates are for that new build. I think its build 181. If you've been getting 'no updated components available' for a long time, you need to uninstall what you have and download the latest version of it.
    It's the newest version.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to coming from something called 'NCase' and 'CommonName' that is in the registry, i keep deleting them but they keep coming back

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    It's the newest version.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to coming from something called 'NCase' and 'CommonName' that is in the registry, i keep deleting them but they keep coming back
    Wouldn't the XXXToolbar do this, too?

Cheers,

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Valet
    Wouldn't the XXXToolbar do this, too?

Cheers,

m
    What's that?

Parasite CommonName
    CommonName is marketed as a 'keywords' service, allowing one to enter simple names insatead of URLs.

After its original release, the software has become a complicated (and sometimes buggy) search-hijacker and adware, aggressively bundled with many third-party apps.

Manual removal

Each successive variant of CommonName gets harder to remove by hand. Variants with an LSP (Mib, Zenet, Winnet) are particularly tricky: do not try to delete them by just deleting the files. If you manage to delete the LSP you will lose network connectivity.

CommonName/Comwiz

This variant cannot be manually uninstalled from the normal desktop. You have to boot Windows without letting the two self-restoring processes start up.

On Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, you can do this by pressing F8 just before Windows XP starts loading and choosing "Safe Mode". Open the 'Program Files' folder and delete the 'CommonName' folder inside it.
    On Windows 95/98/Me, you will have to boot to DOS to do it, and enter the commands:

cd "\Program Files"

deltree /Y CommonName
    This is a 'dirty' way of uninstalling the software, leaving behind a bit of a mess. If you like you can clear up by deleting the registry keys mentioned in the instructions fro CommonName/Agent.

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CommonName.html

You can also try CoolWebShredder 1.46.3 http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html
    Last edited by Archer; January 24th, 2004 at 01:20 PM.

Just an observation, but if you had downloaded and run HiJack this as asked in an earlier post, we could have had this all sorted by now. Now we have XXX and ncase...so what else is likely to be there? HiJack will help us sort this ALL out rather then going one slooooowwwww step at a time, don't ya think?
    BTW, Adaware (new with latest) should have caught this stuff. As I think has been noted, download and run SpyBot as well.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Ahh, the delightful XXXToolbar. One part of the equally delightful ISTBar. You can find out more if you like:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ISTbar.html
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

If this computer is shared, it may be your older brother? Since YOU don't recognize the sites? And why would you be accepting thoes active X installers from unknown sites?
    -================================-
    -={[ Prince Abaddon of the United Angels Federation ]}=-
    ================================-

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Just an observation, but if you had downloaded and run HiJack this as asked in an earlier post, we could have had this all sorted by now. Now we have XXX and ncase...so what else is likely to be there? HiJack will help us sort this ALL out rather then going one slooooowwwww step at a time, don't ya think?..
    Well you said it twice, & no-one was listening ...

Comes top of My list for getting 'malware' anyway

''Immunising' with spybot (another of my 'faves') is also a top tip for those active X 'nasties'

As for flipping pop-up stoppers ... I want my pop-ups thank you very much, I just don't want lots of stupid adds in 'em, & I certainly don't want another 'useless' app floating about - use your Hosts file to convince your comp that the add is on your own machine, quicker & 'better' than a pop up stopper as it doesn't munch bandwidth to get an advert to then block it !!!