Firewire Issues with Host Controller

Thread: Firewire Issues with Host Controller

Question Firewire Issues with Host Controller

I've gone thru 2 firewire cards and basically the same problem still occurred. I have a DLink and a Belkin card that were causing the issue. The DLink card, unlike the Belkin, would basically lose connection at any time causing write failures to the external HD and the only way to correct it was to reboot. This would periodically and eventually became too common so I bought a Belkin. I'll admit the Belkin card was much more stable than the Dlink, however about 30-40% of the time, I would look in Devices and see that the Host Controller could not start up forcing me to reboot with it as well, but at least it was not happening in the middle of the PC being up, it was more of a if its available, you won't lose the connection, if not, you have to reboot. Since XP doesn't allow the user to manually configure an IRQ, I was basically stuck with this and there was no useful information what might be causing conflicts during the bootup. I recently got an Adaptec Combo USB2.0/Firewire card and have had no problems with it, but I'd like to see if others have had issues like I have mentioned with their cards or ones like mine.

Thanks,
    Zip

Welcome to Windrivers zipdrive30

This sounds like acpi and slot shuffle issues. What windows are you talking about>
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers zipdrive30

This sounds like acpi and slot shuffle issues. What windows are you talking about>

It's XP Pro... and I have only swapped the cards in 2 different PCI slots. It's really becoming old news now because I am using a Combo Card from Adaptec and using 2.0 for the HDs'. i was just curious as to why the Firewire cards gave me so many issues, I mean in just the case of the Belkin card, the damn host controller would not start up sometimes.

Thanks,
    Zip

It depends on so many variables, I would not like to give a particular answer.

Usually these sorts of problems are due to bios settings and acpi issues.... and there are so many possible combinations troubleshooting these things become very longwinded.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It depends on so many variables, I would not like to give a particular answer.

Usually these sorts of problems are due to bios settings and acpi issues.... and there are so many possible combinations troubleshooting these things become very longwinded.

Well it's no biggie anymore unless the Adaptec starts giving me problems. I have a Gigabyte (GA-8IRX) mb. I have their lastest update which was late 2002 or early 2003 and I know there are not going to be anymore updates for that board and I am not in the spirit to be buying another board along with new memory. But so far so good on the adaptec, I pray it stays that way and fuk it if it don't.

Thanks for your input.

Zip

Unhappy IEEE 1394 Code 10 Problem

I had this problem and found a solution.

ohci1394.sys was missing from Windows\System32.

Just find it on your hard drive, I found it in many places. Copy to Windows\System32 and reboot. The problem then went away for me.

Tony Miles, Welcome to Windrivers.

That sounds like a plan! Hope it works for people who have this problem.

Tony Miles, Welcome to Windrivers.

That sounds like a plan! Hope it works for people who have this problem.
    [B]I'll take that into consideration next time I run into the issue and thank you for the suggestion, I never thought the driver was not present in system32 folder and to tell you the truth I still haven't checked, but I'll know what to look for next time..

Thanks again,
    Zip