win 98 IP at shutdown
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: win 98 IP at shutdown

win 98 IPF at shutdown

This is a toughy, I have a windows 98 machine that gets the following error at shutdown. "EXPLORER.EXE has caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0167:bff87f00". I have searched alll over the internet and only found one link that had the same error and it was in german. I translated it and it didnt seem that the person resolved the issue.

This is what I have tried. Renaming "Applog", deleting *.pwl, turning down graphics acceleration.

Here is what I am goingto try once I get on site. Deleting the paging file, replacing explorer.exe and kernel32.dll from a win 98 cd.

I really want to avoid a restore of the unit.
    Last edited by xschmittyx; April 23rd, 2004 at 07:02 PM.
    "The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them." President George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by xschmittyx
    This is a toughy, I have a windows 98 machine that gets the following error at shutdown. "EXPLORER.EXE has caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0167:bff87f00". I have searched alll over the internet and only found one link that had the same error and it was in german. I translated it and it didnt seem that the person resolved the issue.

This is what I have tried. Renaming "Applog", deleting *.pwl, turning down graphics acceleration.

Here is what I am goingto try once I get on site. Deleting the paging file, replacing explorer.exe and kernel32.dll from a win 98 cd.

I really want to avoid a restore of the unit.
    I would disable all startup items w/msconfig, and if need be use the task manager to end all tasks before shutting down. If it shuts down properly, add them back in 1 at a time till you find the culprit.
    Last edited by 3FS; April 23rd, 2004 at 07:31 AM.
    All our lives we sweat and slave, building for a shallow grave.

Is it a compaq pc? Has Internet Explorer recently been updated?

Also make sure the shutdown (exit) sound isn't corrupt. Disable from control panel. I've heard of this causing some wierd ones at shutdown.

Try this link too.
    Last edited by gazzak; April 23rd, 2004 at 07:37 AM.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

it is an HP 500mhz cel. It has IE 6 on it.

havent checked sound... only has AIM and NAV at startup.

Am I wrong to think that the error is with Explorer.exe only? I havent tried IE or anything since the error was involving exolorer and kern32
    "The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them." President George W. Bush

You may want to check the system.ini file and see what "shell=" shows.
    You can try changing it to progman.exe to get by the explorer error.
    Try running a repair of IE6. Also you can always try scanreg /restore to a point before the issue started.
    I think your headed in the right direction deleting the swap file.
    And possibly if the registry is corrupt:
    attrib -s -s -r system.dad
    ren system.dat system.bad
    Windows should use the system.da0 file on reboot.
    Granted some of this is win95 specific but I've had some luck with 98 also

You might want to try pc bug doctor too to check for corrupt or invalid files, I've had some luck with that also

http://www.pcbugdoctor.com/download.html

And theres always system file checker too.
    Last edited by DsLTech; April 23rd, 2004 at 07:58 AM.

hi there try sfc.exe from start run it will check for bad systems files sound to me like is the case you will need the windows 98 cd oh and you can be infected by a variation of the W32/KRIZ virus. do a online scan good luck .
    Last edited by natcom; April 23rd, 2004 at 10:15 AM.

will try sfc, no virus on the PC.

did you resolve it?

Did you ever get this resolved. I'm having the same exact error message--only it doesn't do this on shutdown. It just does it about 10 minutes after I start the computer. Opening or using any program, none specifically. I'm absolutely MADDENED by this. I've also tried the .pwl and reducing graphics accelleration. Nothing has worked.

Welcome to Windrivers sjhanley!

Have you tried the suggestions listed in this thread?

Do you have a usb storage drive? Flash card, anything like that that shows up in my computer as a drive?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t the problem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers sjhanley!

Have you tried the suggestions listed in this thread?

Do you have a usb storage drive? Flash card, anything like that that shows up in my computer as a drive?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...t the problem?

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I've tried most of the suggestions in the thread....arghh!
    I'll try to scanreg/restore and see what happens. Thanks again.

floppy

I have a floppy drive (3.5") CD-RW drive and DVD drive. Is this what you mean?

Not unless its usb - no. Was thinking more like the pen drives or a camera memory stick
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Not unless its usb - no. Was thinking more like the pen drives or a camera memory stick
    Well, so far nothing has worked. I deleted win386.swp and .pwl, tried to do restore but that failed, repaired IExplorer 6 (in case that was it), I have no viruses, lowered graphics acceleration, removed several things from startup using msconfig (my printer, multimedia keyboard), ran AdAware. My god, I'm just at a loss. I get the same error messages and now one that says Explorer has caused an IPF at module <unknown> (on top of the .."at module Kernell32.dll"). The kernel message happens first, then the 'unknown' one happens. Everything in my task bar shuts down eventually and whatever is on my screen shuts down.
    I would replace explorer.exe and kernell32.dll but I don't have the Win98 disk. Is there a way to get these files from the cab files?
    Thanks again, NooNoo

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanley
    Well, so far nothing has worked. I deleted win386.swp and .pwl, tried to do restore but that failed, repaired IExplorer 6 (in case that was it), I have no viruses, lowered graphics acceleration, removed several things from startup using msconfig (my printer, multimedia keyboard), ran AdAware. My god, I'm just at a loss. I get the same error messages and now one that says Explorer has caused an IPF at module <unknown> (on top of the .."at module Kernell32.dll"). The kernel message happens first, then the 'unknown' one happens. Everything in my task bar shuts down eventually and whatever is on my screen shuts down.
    I would replace explorer.exe and kernell32.dll but I don't have the Win98 disk. Is there a way to get these files from the cab files?
    Thanks again, NooNoo
    Just point the dialog box to the cab files and you will be on your way.