64bit CPU requires 64bit OS?

Thread: 64bit CPU requires 64bit OS?

64bit CPU requires 64bit OS?

Do you need a 64bit os with a 64bit cpu? If not are there any benefits to having a 64bit cpu on a 32 bit os? OR would it actually be slower? I remember one of my old pocket pcs had a 64bit CPU on 32bit windows and it was slow as HELL (1-2 minutes to display a 60k jpeg @ 131mhz).

Im about to get a new mobo and maybe cpu and was wondering if I should get an amd 64bit (that things over 900pins!).

Thanks

The AMD Athlon64 is backward-compatible with 32-bit operating systems and faster than practically everything else available to home users.

If you'd like to help beta-test Longhorn, the 64-bit native compatibility is there also.

Several system builders now offer AMD64 systems running Win XP Pro and Home, so you should be able to put one together at home. Check with Tom's Hardware or Anandtech for specific performance reports.

Good Luck.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

Cool

I have built three athlon 64 systems and they are quite fast and reliable. I haven't built one for myself yet but maybe this summer. I would love to try the win xp 64 beta but not on a customer's machine only experiment on myself
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

What mobo would you recommend for a 64bit amd that also supports:
    -Serial ATA RAID 0 onboard
    -DDR RAM
    -Minimum 6 USB ports included with mobo
    -Onboard lan

Thanks

I just noticed they seem to be 1.6ghz max, how does that compare to an intel/athlon (IE equiv. of 1.6 intel or 2 or 3ghz or what)?

Nevermind a found a place with the "amd rating" and they had a 2ghz 3000+, and the price isnt that bad on ebay, around $200 US or less.

Now I need to find a motherboard and if they arent too expensive both togheter I might get it.

If the CPU's bus is 1600mhz and I ram is 266DDR will that slow the system bus to 266 or what?

Thanks

I used a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro nForce3 mobo with 3000+ cpu and 1 gig of ddr400 from ZipZoomFly. Board seems to have everything including raid and sata support, and I always had pretty good luck with gigabyte. I have used slower memory in boards with a faster bus speed and didn't notice any problems but I never tried faster memory to see if it speeded it up. Anybody out there experimented with this?
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

I installed the 32bit Windows XP Home Edition O.S. in my 64bit pc and I had problems installing Windows XP Home Edition. But when I installed 64bit Windows XP Pro x64 Edition it just needed a audio fix patch download from Intel to be installed before the audio driver and all other installations when perfectly good. I think because the nature and design of 64bit computers is for 64bit operating systems then 64bit operating system is the O.S. specificly designed for 64bit O.S. and should always be used in 64bit computers.

Actually, there are some software compatiibility issues with XP64, mostly with the usual suspects; older programs, AV software, and even some recent stuff that wasn't written in compliance with Microsoft's programming guidelines for XP32. And, while some disagree, I think there just aren't enough 64-bit drivers, and some of the ones available suck. Hmm, kinda like 32-bit drivers.

32-bit software doesn't run faster on a 64-bit OS, and I haven't really been able to tell much difference in observable performance in the OS itself. I'd just say, if you want to run it, check out the XP Pro 64 home page for info on compatible hardware and software. Otherwise it can get frustrating. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

The 32-bit version of XP runs just fine on a 64-bit processor. My main office machine has a dual core Athlon 64 3800+. Very pleased with it. I've run XP64 on a couple of test machines, but didn't see a reason to make a major switch.

edit

Actually, I'm surprised that software vendors have been so slow to move to 64-bit versions of their apps. The Athlon 64's ability to execute both 32 and 64 bit code simultaneously means that, let's say, Adobe Photoshop, could be recompliled in 64-bit code, while all the pug-ins written by other developers could stay 32-bit. At least for a bit. When I think of software that could really benefit from a 64-bit version, Photoshop, Premiere, and InDesign would be at the head of the list. So much for an industry that embraces innovation.
    Last edited by slgrieb; September 25th, 2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Afterthought

I am on my second time of running 64bit full time.
    Indeed Antivirus and some other software has some issues with 64 bit OS
    Some software just says requires Windows XP Please install LOL
    Drivers have become pretty decent at this point
    Very little cannot be made to work in it with the exceptiuon of modems and webcams.
    I have found Intel 64 bit drivers for my modem which are just fine, so there are some.
    Webcams is another matter. Thats just a dead end street.
    As to whether it runs faster or not I am not sure but I think it is more stable.
    Possibly because not so many devices can be installed
    Software with some low end devices has allways been a bad thing for XP>
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ive tried XP64 afew times now on different pcs and i got constant problems with drivers not being compatible or software compatability problems, i would stick to 32 bit. Although once vista comes out im sure there will be a better range of drivers etc for 64 bit