Creating game server

Thread: Creating game server

Creating game server

I posted this previously in Gaming, but I think this would be a better forum for the question.

I'm trying to set up a game server for Battlefield 1942. The server is working fine and can connect to the Internet, so I'm sure this isn't a hardware issue.

The server has a static IP address of 192.168.1.98, which I've been told is fine as long as when people log onto the server to play, they use the WAN IP address of my router (a Linksys NWR04B). This does not appear to be the case, as no one is able to see the game server on the Internet.

I've got port forwarding set to open port 14567 which is the one used by the server software for Battlefield.

The only time I can see the server myself is when I manually add the servers local IP address (192.168.1.98) to the Add Server option in the game. Doing so I've been able to run through a half dozen test games and the hardware seems to be working just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched the Battlefield forums about this and haven't seen any resolutions there. Thanks much for any assistance.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy
    I posted this previously in Gaming, but I think this would be a better forum for the question.

I'm trying to set up a game server for Battlefield 1942. The server is working fine and can connect to the Internet, so I'm sure this isn't a hardware issue.

The server has a static IP address of 192.168.1.98, which I've been told is fine as long as when people log onto the server to play, they use the WAN IP address of my router (a Linksys NWR04B). This does not appear to be the case, as no one is able to see the game server on the Internet.

I've got port forwarding set to open port 14567 which is the one used by the server software for Battlefield.

The only time I can see the server myself is when I manually add the servers local IP address (192.168.1.98) to the Add Server option in the game. Doing so I've been able to run through a half dozen test games and the hardware seems to be working just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched the Battlefield forums about this and haven't seen any resolutions there. Thanks much for any assistance.
    I would try putting the computer into a DMZ configuration, that will forward all port, if your able to get people on the outside to then join, use netstat (if your on 2k/xp) to see what ports are really being used
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Cool, that might work. But, if I put the system into the DMZ, doesn't that mean it's not protected by the router anymore? If that's the case, you're saying I should get the correct IP address asap, then take it out of the DMZ? And yeah, I'm using Win2k, though if they want this server to be up for a while I'll probably switch to either Linux or 2K Advanced Server. Thanks for the help, Matridom.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy
    Cool, that might work. But, if I put the system into the DMZ, doesn't that mean it's not protected by the router anymore? If that's the case, you're saying I should get the correct IP address asap, then take it out of the DMZ? And yeah, I'm using Win2k, though if they want this server to be up for a while I'll probably switch to either Linux or 2K Advanced Server. Thanks for the help, Matridom.
    For your usage, win2k advanced server is too expensive and a waste of additional resource. Your not running an enteripse here, just a small home network, stick to what you can afford and what will run properly. Now, for the DMZ, yes, it will "unprotect" that one computer, but if your patched and up to date, it's that big of a "risk". The idea here is to test your router and the game server and see if they are compatible with the internet in your current configuration. If the dmz does not work, your going to have to get more "extreme" to try and make things work, like connect the game server directly to your broadband connection. Do make sure your forwarding UDP and not TCP

additionaly, read here

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

and here

http://www.xtremeoz.com/gameplay/server_commands.cfm
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

In the past I've had problems with game servers with private IPs (natted) running on the internet. When the game detected players connecting from both a private IP and a public IP someone would get booted. I know this isn't your issue but it's worth mentioning..
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I've actually got a copy of Win2k Advanced Server from a previous job, so it won't cost me anything. I'll try changing to DMZ tonight and if that doesn't work hook the server directly to the cable modem. I'm already forwarding the correct UDP port (14567) so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the tips guys.

Try these ports:

allow udp port 14567
    allow udp 22000 (THIS IS ONLY FOR LAN GAMES. If you don't want that accessible from the net, don't open it)
    allow udp range 23000 23009
    # Gamespy Master Server UDP Heartbeat allow udp port 27900
    # Gamespy Master Server List Request allow tcp port 28900

On my server I have ports 14567, 23000-23003, 27900 and 28900 open and it shows up just fine.
    Last edited by peon; April 26th, 2004 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    In the past I've had problems with game servers with private IPs (natted) running on the internet. When the game detected players connecting from both a private IP and a public IP someone would get booted. I know this isn't your issue but it's worth mentioning..
    I had the same problem. The server had a problem having both private and public IPs playing at the same time. It was like it could only handle one network at a time. I did not explore it because it was not important for me. Thanks!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Although I believe I played and finished the game last year, I have never established a game server for Battlefield 1942.

That said, it has been my experience hosting several other full time, long term gaming servers that your hosting options are to host local or public games - the differentiation being made results in whether or not your server publishes its existence on one or more "master" servers. In order for this publishing process to be successful, the server must be residing on a routable public IP address.

And don't try what I did several years ago - One can't just begin using any "apparently unused" public IP behind your firewall unless your router and upstream routers are configured properly (or RIP is in use) - still, not recommended.

As a final test, if a friend residing on a different ISP network (different subnet) can't Tracert to your IP, you're still invisible to the public...

If you've just GOT to have this running, I'd activate and configure the built-in firewall on the server to pass the necessary traffic as noted in previous messages, replace your router with your server, optionally add a second network card to your server and use Window's routing services to tie in your internal network. You'll take a substantial performance hit on your internal network (especially if the game server application is a CPU hog), and you'll likely loose an amount of configuration flexibility using Window's firewall - all depends what you're used to using for a firewall and what your expectations are... but your server should now be publicly visible.

G'luck!
    Last edited by Synapse_Overdrive; April 26th, 2004 at 07:12 PM.

I am assuming you have the proper server software running? I know there is some dedicated server software for running a true dedicated server. If you are going to play the machine that you want to use as a server, then dont bother. Your machine specs are strained at best.

If you think your machine will run then you really need your IP addy. Your router will sometimes tell you what it is, as well as your modem if you can access it via IE. Then of course have your ports fowarded to your server.

http://www.wisconsindeathtrip.org/ follow the link to the forum and post something in the tech section. I am sure someone there can help ya, its my clan forum and they are pretty decent guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dddwarp
    I had the same problem. The server had a problem having both private and public IPs playing at the same time. It was like it could only handle one network at a time. I did not explore it because it was not important for me. Thanks!
    I think it was SOF II that I was running at the time. The closest thing I dug up for an answer was that it was by design. They didn't want public and private IPs (or gamers) on the same server. ??
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Other posters have pointed out that you may have trouble hosting the game server behind a NAT'ing firewall. Some applications just can't handle NAT, or NAT can't handle some applications, lol, take your pick.

One word of extreme caution: The "DMZ" on most home router/gateways like the LinkSys and Netgear's out there is NOT a DMZ. It is a giant hole into your LAN. Paint a mental picture of yourself nekkid, bent over, grabbing your ankles, with a bright neon sign broadcasting to every retarded baboon script kiddie out there: "Enter Here! Free Beer!". A DMZ should be on an entirely different subnet from your protected LAN, and your local LAN should be firewalled off from the DMZ (rather, the DMZ should have no access to local LAN, but the local LAN can have full access to the DMZ). The LinkSys (et. al) "DMZ's" are not on a different subnet, they are on the same subnet as the rest of your local LAN (i.e. the LinkSys "DMZ" could be something like 191.168.1.99/24, and the rest of your LAN is somewhere in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, this is bad bad bad). This is a HUGE security risk. If the game server in the bogus DMZ get's compromised, your entire LAN is compromized. I regard that as unacceptable, but I am paid to be paranoid

Just beware the "DMZ"!

Good Luck!
    Denying reality is a very bad plan.

IP addressing

Not sure if anyone pointed this out yet however 192.168.1.98 is lan address not a wan address. Im not sure how you find servers in that game however if your friends are typing in that address it will not work. You need to advertise the IP address on the wan port for your router as assigned by your isp. Then you need to forward all ports you need to the correct computer in your case i assume 192.168.1.98. Your friends would type in the wan address, and they would then send it to your router using a specific port. When the router sees the target port it should then forward the request to your computer. Your computer in effect will be talking to your router and never the person on the end directly. Take note that most games use more than 1 port for differing things. Its possible you need another port forwarded, might want to call the game company about that.

Final note: The cheapo routers dont always work. Ive tried about 7 or 8 different brands and although I do not recall which didnt function properly I do know some dont work as their programs are faulty. You may want to try upgrading the bios on the router.

Okay, sorry I was out of it for a few days with an abcessed tooth. Yay. I've subsequently found out that the reason that I can't use the WAN IP of my router as the IP address to send to my friends for connection (setting aside issues of port forwarding which I'd already figured out) is that my ISP (Adelphia) blocks specific ports commonly used by game servers.

So, my choices are to use IP redirect software or just use the server as a LAN game server. I'll probably go with option 2, as it specifically says in my Terms of Service that setting up a gaming server is naughty. Ah well, thanks much to all the folks that offered advice and pointers on this, if nothing else, it's been a learning experience.