is my mobo agp dead?

Thread: is my mobo agp dead?

is my mobo agp dead?

system: P4 2gig 1gig ram 333 intel 845 pebt2 mobo, nvidia fx5200 vid card w/256mg ram and a secondary nvidia pci card with 64meg, 120gigs of drives in 1 maxtor and one seagate plexwriter cd burner and aopen dvd player. hercules game theater sound.

now for the problem:some time ago my puter started going to a black screen on boot. if i set my bios to pci graphics it will boot up just fine but no matter what ive tried (even a known good agp card) i can hear windows boot up and i know my desktop is there but theres no cursor and the screen is dead black. it will boot to safe mode just fine and the post screen is fine and the windows xp pro loading screen shows up just fine but after that it goes black and thats all she wrote. i just want to know if theres some thing i might have missed before i trash an otherwise functional board. thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can provide
    what you dont know wont give you nearly as many problems as what you think you know...... THAT AINT RIGHT!..... TO PARAPHRASE WILL ROGERS

by the way it does boot in safe mode. i have the latest drivers from nvidia and have all the latest bios updates from intel for the mobo.
    what you dont know wont give you nearly as many problems as what you think you know...... THAT AINT RIGHT!..... TO PARAPHRASE WILL ROGERS

If it boots in safe mode with the agp card, then its not the agp slot. It may be the card, but more likely the drivers.

Have you overclocked the card or the board? Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults?

Tried setting the agp slot to 2x?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i restored the mobo to default mode . and rebooted. puter did a scandisk to 100% then aparently booted to my desktop, however i could not see this because the scandisk screen never went away. i reset the puter and tried again and cancelled the scandisk. puter aparently booted to desktop again because i can hear the windows sound however the cancel scandisk screen never went away. did this exercise several times always with the same results. have run msconfig already and dont have anything starting except my mcafee antivirus and zonealarm happening on startup.

oh by the way i did try some overclocking with my previous card but restored it to defaults and it was working fine. the new card has never been clocked and does work on another intel board. have never clocked the board itself, im not even sure you can do that with an intel.

thanxs noo you got me on the right track. i ran detonator destroyer and reinstalled the drivers and cha ching up it came. i cant believe i didnt think of that before. aparently it was one of nvidias notoriously bad driver issues. these 5200's are the first cards of theirs that ive ever had any problems with, in fact ive been a big nvidia fan for years because theyve been consistently trouble free in the past. ive been so used to plugging them in and firing them up and having them work that that i guess my trouble shooting skill have gotten rusty. your the best noo thanks again

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."