USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1

USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1

I've had an iPod for about a year now, worked fine (once recognized), but I noticed a couple weeks ago that when connecting, it said the now-cringe inducing "HI-SPEED device connected to NON-HI-SPEED hub" rig. I didn't think much of it because normally it flashes a quick 'device not recognized' type message which goes away and everything works fine. I was only sync-ing a few songs here and there so I never noticed the speed dropoff, but this afternoon I went to resync a lot more and the speed drop off was quite noticible.

Specs:
    I'm running an IBM t40 laptop with two USB 2.0 ports. Have the XP SP1 update. Intel 855PM Chipset.

As for the USB particulars, under device manager I have
    1 Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD (What the iPod should be attaching to)
    3 different 82801 DB/DBM Universal Host Controllers -24C2, C4 (which it always connects to), C7
    Then four USB Root Hubs.

I know the iPod works; my neighbor has the _exact_ same computer (educational purchase) and it connects to the Enhanced Host Controller on his computer. I've updated the BIOS, I've tried using both USB ports, I've uninstalled/reinstalled iPod software, I've uninstalled the USB Controllers, I've re-installed the specific Service Pack drivers, I've run the Chipset Software Installation Utility from Intel, I've even copied the drivers from the working t40 and stuck them in my t40: all to no avail.

I dont want to reinstall XP because rather than give me a disc IBM has the preinstalled software thing; i can't control if it will format or not and I dont want to lose my music (nor do I want to backup 16GB onto CDR). Similarly I have a special program for my upcoming exams (in graduate school) that I can no longer download and I dont want to be forced to write out my exams

Any advice?

Well, you've done most of what I would recommend. Other than the obvious (is usb 2 enabled in bios?), the only other thing I would try is to boot into safe mode, go into device manager, select "show hidden devices", then delete all the usb controllers and root hubs. Reboot and let windows retedect the devices. Cross your fingers.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Well, you've done most of what I would recommend. Other than the obvious (is usb 2 enabled in bios?), the only other thing I would try is to boot into safe mode, go into device manager, select "show hidden devices", then delete all the usb controllers and root hubs. Reboot and let windows retedect the devices. Cross your fingers.
    I tried that, no avail. Found the XP SP1 network installation (since Windows Update says I dont need it), downloaded all 120MB of that in hopes of resetting some things. Still no dice. Shut the laptop off and gave up. Next morning though, it started working. Then it would stop. Its hit and miss now. It will connect, say it connected at 1.1, I'll unplug it, plug it back in, says it connects at 2.0, then 30 min later switch down to 1.1 without me touching it. For a while I just disabled the C4 root hub, but it was still the same problem - it would occassionally connect at 2.0, then simply say it wasn't connected, then re-connect at 2.0. I'm almost positive that it isn't an issue with the iPod, but i'm still between a rock and a hard place vis-a-vis not being able to re-install XP.

Think this is a motherboard issue?

Tried a different usb cable?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm getting the exact same problem with my MPAvio A/V player.

I haven't checked my BIOS settings yet, but I'll do that right after I'm done posting.

If the cable is to blame, can I use any USB cable that has the same port shape on the other end? or will that possibly damage my player/cable?

USB 2.0 cables have identically shaped connectors, but are better shielded for the higher data transfer speeds...better to use a 2.0 cable
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by Massif
    I'm getting the exact same problem with my MPAvio A/V player.

I haven't checked my BIOS settings yet, but I'll do that right after I'm done posting.

If the cable is to blame, can I use any USB cable that has the same port shape on the other end? or will that possibly damage my player/cable?
    the cables are pretty much the same, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 the only difference I believe is that the USB 2.0 cables are shielded better . . . . I haven't seen a USB 1.1 cable not work with USB 2.0 devices (at the USB 2.0 speed) yet though.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I checked my BIOS and the only option relating to USB is "USB Legacy Support" which is currently set to Auto.

Could that be what's causing the problem? If I do disable it (or enable it) fully, will it cause problems with other USB devices?

checked at ibm for bios updates for the laptop?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i updated my BIOS, found another setting which enables USB 2.0, but it was already set to enabled. Still getting the same problem. I tried disabling the USB 1.1 Controllers but that also disabled my USB ports entirely.

I got that windows update for usb, still not fixed.

It can't be the cable because we used the same cable with the device on a different computer and it worked.

I've got the same problem with my IBM laptop too.
    It's a T40p.
    If you already found a solution could you tell me.
    I don't know if wethever it's a hardward problem or not

Up !

Nobody knows ?

I've given up...I think I might just buy another USB card...

I was hoping for an easy software fix but I doubt that I'll find one...

It use to work perfectly

It's a pitty I don't know if it's an hardware problem or not.
    I think testing it on linux may answer that question

holy crap! good idea!

does usb work on linux? I guess I'll try and find out