USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 Device (iPod) only onnecting at 1.1

IPOD!! problem solved!!!!!!!!!!

Well, i'm proud to say that i've solved my ipod problem.

My friend (also an ipod owner) was over one day, so i deceded to try out his pod cord. I didn't ever think of trying this before, becasue windows knew somthing was plugged in, just didn't recognize it. Anyways, i plug my pod in using his power/usb cord, and bang!, the damn thing worked instatntly. I'm going to the apple store to get a (hopfully free) replacement cord.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, i retried my cord, and it was a no go. This is weird becasue it dosen't seem like a cord problem at all. If you are having slowdown problems, and windows shows a malfunctioned usb device, i would suggest trying a new cord.

I hope this works for everyone else having problems.

good luck!

P.S. The stupid apple support hotline didn't help at all, they didn't even suggest this.
    Last edited by glassman_04; September 29th, 2004 at 10:55 AM.

Unhappy

Hello,

please, has anybody fix up a problem with IBM ThinkPad notebook (T40p + XP SP2 by me) and "HI-SPEED device connected to NON-HI-SPEED hub" message??????
    I have after system recovery the same problem.

Thank a lot

doc

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have any of the posters here updated to xp SP2 that's now available? If so what effect did it have?
    installing XP SP 2 is actually what caused my problems in the first place. I have a 2737 QU1 T40 and a 160G LaCie drive. The combo worked fine for about two months before installing SP2, and now it won't work for two hours in a row. On boot, things are generally okay, but after some time it will drop the USB connection entirely, then redetect the drive and pop up the "Hi-Speed in a low-speed" message. Since I run VMWare from the drive, this causes major, major problems.

I have applied all relevant IBM updates, I have applied a LaCie firmware update, I have deleted and redetected all USB devices, I have disabled Windows power management of the USB ports, and none of it has done any good. I'm going to have to rebuild from scratch and hope that works.

Lightbulb Fixed it!!!!!!!!(or at least, I think so)

Guys,

I have had exactly the same problems on my IBM T40, and seem to have solved them now. Here is what I did

1. Disable automatic power management for both PCI and processor from within windows.

2. reboot the pc, and go into bios setup. make sure that the processor power mgmt for speedstep is set to enabled, but set battery and power to a definite state (ie, max performance, max optimised rather than automatic)

3. reboot pc, and insert usb item, it will probably come up as 1.1 still.

4. delete the controller

5. reboot the pc with the usb device plugged in

6. it seems to now be running at usb2, and if i remove and reinsert it, keeps coming up as usb2.

This seems to have worked. I have tried it on a usb2 mp3 player, a pendrive, and 2 different usb hard drives, all with success.

The only problem I have found is that the pc STILL shuts down the power to the usb devices every so often.

I dont seem to be able to see why this happens, or to get round it, but will keep trying. There seems no pattern, hence its difficult to tell why it happens.

Hope you have luck with this

Perry!!

Quote Originally Posted by waldp
    Guys,

I have had exactly the same problems on my IBM T40, and seem to have solved them now. Here is what I did
    The only problem I have found is that the pc STILL shuts down the power to the usb devices every so often.
    Perry!!
    Hey, thanks for the post! Unfortunately, the power shutdown is a show-stopper for me... I'm going to rebuild this machine with a new OS today.

USB Ipod - USB device NOT recognized

I beat my head against the wall for 3 days,With this used gen three Ipod , Basically Ignore that "Does not recognize USB device". as long a you have usb 2.0 enhanced, it will work

With a USB cable & Ipod base, load the Ipod CD & load Itunes , I have Toshiba 2.4 ghz 60 g 512 ram laptop and figured it was fast - new enough to work. If you see the ipod on my computer as a hard drive in 32 Fat ,it will be in USB mass storage device as well, your good for windows ,if not reformat ,if it was used on an apple machine before.

I was just ripping Cd's to load on the ipod , about 5 -20 seconds a song to load on the laptop about 12 x Drive speed ,,to mp3 . The first few times I booted up with everything conected .
    Later it was fine to connect while on,

After the CD is loaded "imported " top right corner , attach the Ipod to the cord or base ,wait a while to start, it will up date Ipod ( a CD in 2 -5 seconds on my machines hard drive to the ipod ) Itunes has a data base to list songs in your file ,even copys will list song names & album names.

The other program "music match" try's to start up a well , There is a setting to stop it , I just X it off ,as it slows Ripping speed by use of ram space .

I hope this helps , some poor bastard like me. from 3 days of BS

figured it out...

Turns out it was a hardware failure... I went back to corporate IT and we realized that the USB ports were kind of loose, so we swapped hard drives into another T40 shell and the problem went away. The ports probably need to be resoldered

I think the problem was caused by plugging in those USB keys with the rounded plastic cases while something else is already plugged in, causing the ports to spread away from each other. I'm using a extender cable now with USB keys.

UPDATE: well, here it is four months later and the new T40 shell has failed in the same way, only worse -- now the port replicator USB port is also slowed. Just to be sure, I borrowed a laptop hard drive from another machine and installed a fresh WinXPSP2 slipstream disk, still got slow USB. Very frustrating, as in all other ways this has been the best laptop I've ever carried.
    Last edited by stinkingpig; March 19th, 2005 at 02:12 AM. Reason: update

Cable!!??

Have had my T40 one and a half year now, and used the 40GB USB2.0 IBM Hard Disk for backup since the beginning with no problem at all, almost daily backups ( total system backup when needed, and diff backup every day). Today, I got this bubble saying what you all have described above. I tried most of what you also have decribed, trying to update drivers etc.

I have upgraded to Win XP SP2 a few days ago (after careful updates of everything IBM suggest from its support site)

With the comments on cables i saw, I inspected my USB cable, and found it to be twisted, due to the fact that I roll it up around my hand after each backup and put it back in the black IBM bag together with the HD. I have now stretched the cable and untwisted it as best as I could.

And, believe it or not, when I connect the HD and flip the power switch, everyting works ok, and I get the normal USB 2.0 connection! No bubble massage, and the USB icon that appears in the system tray says, when I click on it, that I am connected to the USB 2.0 controller and its associated USB root hub.

I have tested this several times now, and it seems to be stable.

I hope that this now proves to be the problem and the solution, hope that others try the same and report back here.

Jan

This luck did not last long...

Now, when I am back at the computer and triy again , I am back to a USB device connected to a low speed USB port....

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by janflodin
    Have had my T40 one and a half year now, and used the 40GB USB2.0 IBM Hard Disk for backup since the beginning with no problem at all, almost daily backups ( total system backup when needed, and diff backup every day). Today, I got this bubble saying what you all have described above. I tried most of what you also have decribed, trying to update drivers etc.

I have upgraded to Win XP SP2 a few days ago (after careful updates of everything IBM suggest from its support site)

With the comments on cables i saw, I inspected my USB cable, and found it to be twisted, due to the fact that I roll it up around my hand after each backup and put it back in the black IBM bag together with the HD. I have now stretched the cable and untwisted it as best as I could.

And, believe it or not, when I connect the HD and flip the power switch, everyting works ok, and I get the normal USB 2.0 connection! No bubble massage, and the USB icon that appears in the system tray says, when I click on it, that I am connected to the USB 2.0 controller and its associated USB root hub.

I have tested this several times now, and it seems to be stable.

I hope that this now proves to be the problem and the solution, hope that others try the same and report back here.

Jan

glad to see its not just me

Also have a T40, which has this problem. I have another T40 for work, which does NOT have this problem. Copied files from my work computer to my personal T40 and it didn't fix it, message still comes up. My power connector is loose again so I'll have them replace the usb ports and power connector at the same time. Turn-around time shouldn't be too long, maybe two weeks tops?

I have reported this problem to IBM here in Sweden now, and hope they return with a solution. The T40 is "Intel Centrino Mobile Technology" certified, so I went to the Intel web site and found this, among other things:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21

Does anyone know if it might be safe and worthwhile to download and execute the following?
    2. INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE]

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by myk
    glad to see its not just me

Also have a T40, which has this problem. I have another T40 for work, which does NOT have this problem. Copied files from my work computer to my personal T40 and it didn't fix it, message still comes up. My power connector is loose again so I'll have them replace the usb ports and power connector at the same time. Turn-around time shouldn't be too long, maybe two weeks tops?

Quote Originally Posted by janflodin
    I have reported this problem to IBM here in Sweden now, and hope they return with a solution. The T40 is "Intel Centrino Mobile Technology" certified, so I went to the Intel web site and found this, among other things:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21

Does anyone know if it might be safe and worthwhile to download and execute the following?
    2. INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE]

Jan

Jan, it is safe, but not worthwhile. Didin't help me at all

same issue on a toshiba laptop

yeah i've been having the same issue on a toshiba satellite m35x laptop. when i bought it i upgraded from winxp home to pro. later i realized that of the 3 usb2 ports on the laptop (one on the side and 2 on the back) the side usb port would either not recognize my ipod mini or would say high speed usb device plugged into non highspeed usb port. I tested the port with my ipod 20gig and a usb2 wireless adapter. all had similar problems.
    i exchanged the laptop at the store only to find the new laptop had the same problems except it was one the of the back ports. i tried winxp home and pro, same problem with both.
    i had the replacement sent in for repairs at toshiba but they only restored the original hd settings and probably didnt test the device. i had the replacement sent again for repairs this time they replaced the motherboard. all ports worked the first time but soon all of the ports were acting up randomly. sometimes the ipod wouldnt be recognized or the connection would be made then dropped, made then dropped, made then dropped an indeterminate number of times and sometimes it would recognize the ipod but only at usb1 speed. i had the motherboard replaced again after convincing the tech that the problem still existed (it randomly worked for all of 10 min while trying to explain my problem to a toshiba tech)
    i had similar problems connecting my ipod 20gig to my friend's shuttle xpc p4. the connection would be limited to usb1 even though it was an usb 2 port. luckily enough my amd 64 shuttle xpc has had no such problems.
    my original guess was that toshiba's mobos are faulty, then i thought it was the ipod usb2 cord (i tested 2 different ones with no luck), now i'm begining to think its a winxp problem. but the random nature of the problem is very frustrating. i've tried both software (reinstalling winxp, itunes/ipod software, uninstalling/reinstalling usb2 drivers) and hardware fixes (cord change and mobo change).

Has anyone find out the reasons?

I have the same IBM t40, and I am seeing exactly the same problem-my USB 2.0 devices cannot connect to 2.0 HuB. If anyone above know why, PLEASE share !! THANKS!!!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Massif
    holy crap! good idea!

does usb work on linux? I guess I'll try and find out

IMB T40 USB2.0 issue running at 1.1 fixed?

Ive had the same issue as the users in the forum with WInXP SP2 and a USB 2.0 HI-SPEED device (Archos Gmini400). I didnt realise it was running at 1.1 speed until the message popped up telling me to connect to a faster hub (frustrating thing!).
    After a week of probing and testing (broke the Gmini in the process cos i pulled the cable out mid write and crashed the HDD on it) I went through all the 'solutions' and none of them worked.

In the end im up to this..
    Change detected drivers :
    Intel 8xxxx DB/DBM USB2.0 Enhanced USB driver to the ms 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller'
    and
    Intel 8xxxx DB/DBM USB driver to the MS 'Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller'

from control panel, system, usb ports,right click on usb, update driver, choose from list, select above driver and NOT the intel drivers as they dont appear to work.

I copied a 119mb file to a flashdisk in 15 seconds but I dont have my Gmini400 to transer a 700mb file over , or to see if that sh** popup comes back. - ill update this post when i test
    Update 11-02-05 : just tested, didnt work.
    Update 12-02-05 :found a fresh built T40 that does work, it uses
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
    on XP 2002 SP1
    driver info in c:\windows\system32\drivers\
    usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1152(xpsp2.021217-1051)
    usbhub.sys 5.1.2600.1129 (xpsp2.020921-0842)
    usbport 5.1.2600.1158 (xpsp2.021217-1051)
    c:\windows\system32\
    hccoin.dll 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    usbui.dll 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)
    all signed by Microsoft Windows XP Publisher
    which appears to be a hybrid install on a SP1 machine preloaded factory t40. hope others can take this further to investigate..
    Update 14-02-05 : Built two identical T40's, one works, other did not use USB2.0.
    I even downgraded the BIOS and Embedded Controller BIOS so they matched.
    At this point I am giving up and putting down to hardware issue, probably the loosened ports i read about in another post.
    Last edited by SatmanUK; February 14th, 2005 at 12:23 PM.