USB Network Adaptor issue with Windows 98SE

Thread: USB Network Adaptor issue with Windows 98SE

USB Network Adaptor issue with Windows 98SE

Hi all, several months ago I bought a Linksys USB adaptor for my wireless network. At the time, my PC was running Windows 98, and it installed without a problem and was working fine. A couple of months ago, I had to upgrade my OS to Windows 98SE. The USB adaptor was still working fine. A few days ago we started having troubles with our network. Even though it turned out to be a problem with the router, I tried to reinstall the adaptor on my computer. Bad idea, now it won't work. It installs the WLAN Monitor software OK, and when I reboot the machine as prompted it does detect the new hardware. However, after a few files get installed it says it cannot find the locproxy.exe and locprxy2.exe files, but I was able to locate them here and get them installed.

But still, in the device manager, there is an exclamation mark next to the device. I installed it using the latest driver off of Linksys's website, and their tech support was not much help, so i'm pretty much at a loss here. Greatly appreciate all help. Thanks!

Welcome to windrivers Mateo.

First of all have you done ALL your windows updates?
    Have you instaled the motherboard drivers?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try this unplug the device, go to control panel then look for Add/Removed and uninstall Linksys USB adaptor then the computer should reboot if not, reboot it.
    After rebooting then follow the manufacture set up for installing of the device as you did the first time when you installed on Windows 98.

Please note if Windows 98SE recognizes the device without installing the software, then need to restore your Windows registry to an earlier restore points.

Windows 98SE back up your Windows registry from time to time so there’s a good chance you have a good back up.