former MUD addicts

Thread: former MUD addicts

former MUD addicts

I'm sure many people here have played MUDs in their life, maybe wrote areas for some, were Gods in some, led a clan, met someone from there in person...etc.......I know that for me, Muds provided a way of acceptance, and a way for many of my friends in high school and I, to do something that was self-competitive, and did not rely on superficial looks, popularity, etc...all things we were never good at. But at a price, obviously......we all became addicted to it...I personally spent 12 hours a day at one point, skipping high school to go Mud in the library.....etc...does anyone else remember having a similiar experience........and feeling something akin to withdrawal when you're unable to get to a computer to 'Check who'se on'....... I know I did, on family trips, social gatherings.....etc....I wanted to be at home playing.....anyone else have something akin to 'an addiction', with withdrawal symptoms to boot.
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

wow muds are still going? wow... I played them for 1 week non stop about 6-7 years ago

I play AO (Anarchy-Online) guess thats what im addicted to...started back last year, jan 2003

I played a MUD called Apocalypse IV (www.apocmud.org) back in the mid 90s. It was text based, but it was fun to use your imagination.

My social life went to hell, and the only thing I would talk about when I did go out was the game. I'd use almost all my free time playing and I wouldn't get much sleep some nights, which led to me getting physically sick after playing for 24 hours straight. After that, I decided to put it down (which was incredibly hard). I would get on just to surf the web and end up there, still playing 7 hours later
    I still visit there occasionally, not to play, but to check up on a few friends.

Right now, I'm sort of addicted to a 2D game, Tibia (www.tibia.org). Still a cheesy game, but quite fun to play against others from around the world.
    I don't play even a fraction of as much as I used to play Apocalypse IV. I think I have "mastered" my addiction by having to grow up (kids, wife, mortgage) and realize in RL, you have much more at stake than a few pixels of equipment and gold.
    I am Scuzzlebutt, Lord of the Mountains, behold my Patrick Duffy leg!

Right after high school I was playing on one called Transformers 2005. I got bored after a few months though. The graphics were lame.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    > kill thief
    You swing at a thief and miss
    >kill thief
    You swing at a thief and smash his head
    A thief swings at you and misses
    >kill thief
    You swing at a thief and smash his head

That was my entire MUD career.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Got dial up internet access about 94, aol was the first to offer anything of the sort in this area. But, Gemstone was still free then, and got me hooked. When they made people start paying more, I found MUDs. Circle, diku, smaug, I played anything, and dragged many friends into them. Dispite not getting the goal of the new batch of 3d muds, everquest/ao/uo, the people are still there. Got totally drunk and smoked up with a group of them a few years back cause of a random road trip. Best trip ever.

MUDs, the party for socially inept. If they can teach me a nerd how to deal with people, they can teach anyone. I play everquest still, and i have to call friends up 'is there anyone on I'd talk to' in the middle of a borring project. Withdrawl worse then cigerettes.