Can I have two modems installed on my comp?

Thread: Can I have two modems installed on my comp?

Question Can I have two modems installed on my comp?

I use a dial-up connection for internet access and I would like to use my computer as my fax machine also. I can't receive a fax when I'm connected to the internet and so I am wondering if I can put 2 modems with 2 separate phone connections (one for the fax, one for my dial-up) in my computer. Anybody ever done this or know how to do it? Thanks.

It can work as long as you put one modem on com port 1/3 and the other on 2/4 and ensure there are free irqs for both modems.

However, from a cost standpoint it may be better to get a DSL or cable and keep one phone line for fax/phone calls, etc unless you don't have access to those broadband services. In my area, you'd actually pay more money to maintain 2 phone lines with dial-up internet access than if you had one phone line and broadband internet.

Just my 2 cents.
    Retro-Computing: Not for the faint-of-heart.

Cool

Yes previous reply is basically correct EXCEPT that you only need one ISP enabled account. The line that the modem for faxing would use needs to be setup as 'line 1' for the modem.

I use an external 56k for Internet & an Internal 33.6 voice as answering machine; don't really notice any conflicts with this setup.