Lexar JumpDrive Secure Does not Work on WinXP

Thread: Lexar JumpDrive Secure Does not Work on WinXP

Angry Lexar JumpDrive Secure Does not Work on WinXP

My problem : I have a Jump Drive Secure (portable storage) from Lexar, after plug in the device on my USB port windows xp do not find the driver.

My Machine : Dell Optilpex GX260, Pentium IV, 2.5 Ghz, 512 Mb Ram, i have 4 usb ports, one is used by the mouse. The version of USB Root Hub is 2.0

My Operating System : Windows XP Service Pack 1

I tried to find the driver on lexar web site but it says that windows xp should recognizes the device automatically.

please, anyone could help me ?

Regards,
    Wendel.

Welcome to Windrivers Wendel
    I have one, it works fine...
    Exactly what does happen when you plug in the jumpdrive? Do you get the wizard?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks so far, here is what happens :

- After pluggin in the device windows xp says, "new hardware found JUMPDRIVE"

- The wizard starts and i left the default option "Automatialy install the software" selected.

- Click Next button, and it says, "It was not possible to install the hardware" "The hardware was not installed because the wizard did not find the necessary software".

And it not work.

Regards,
    Wendel

Well, this may not be the problem because your error message doesn't seem to support it but I'll tell you the most common problem I've seen here with the Lexar Media Drives.
    Do you have a 'Virtual' drive (or pretty much ANY non-standard drive)?
    If so, is it labeled as the highest letter (like E or F depending on your configuration)??
    Try renaming your virtual drive, It may be that the USB drive is trying to take that letter. I've seen it here at least 5 times that this was the solution and I know it worked for me!

Good Luck.

PS: I uninstalled the whole drive first though, that might help.
    Last edited by Vergence; April 30th, 2004 at 07:06 AM.

Vergence that sounds like a plan!

Wendel, what are your existing drives and their drive letters and types of drive?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My existing drive letters are : A,C and D.

I also have some devices like eToken and smart card readers that uses the USB port, i tried to uninstall these devices but id still dont work for Lexar.....

Ohter interesting thing :On my machine the winxp is a portuguese version, i teste on 2 different machines with winxp in english and it worked.

have you checked at windows update (portugese site) to ensure there are no driver or other updates?

I haven´t checked yet because i am using this from my company and the firewall does not allow to do windows updates.

Perhaps i will install the english version of windows xp, but i am curious to know what is causing this problem.

Regards,
    Wendel.

Wait a minute... this is a company machine? Then have you checked that company /computer policy allows you to install such a device?

I think so because i install other devices like Aladdin eToken and other softwares. Is there a way to check it looking at the registry ?

No, go ask your system administrator.

I have the same exact problem with my Lexar Secure drive. It works on my desktop pcs @ home, but not on my work laptop. I also thought that maybe the admin @ work had disabled usb drives.. but not. I happened to have a regular Lexar jumpdrive (128 mg) and it works fine on the work laptop. I'm guessing that the way they format the secure drives might have something to do with it not being recognized. Maybe there is some sort of conflict with the usb drivers or the controller, I'm just basically guessing here. I can tell you that my machines @ home are running winxp pro sp2, and so is the laptop I use @ work. Maybe a winxp configuration problem???

At cnet I've read some very bad reviews about the secure drive. Lexar dosen't seem to have any support regarding this issue. I am going to return this drive or exchange it for a different brand. I'd suggest the same thing to you. Good luck.

I have also noted that lexar drives have "wide shoulders" so it could be that the drive is not fully pushed into the usb port.

Quote Originally Posted by wendel
    Ohter interesting thing :On my machine the winxp is a portuguese version, i teste on 2 different machines with winxp in english and it worked.
    My money would be that the 'installer wizard' is looking for specific file names & details then & can't speak portugese ! either that or it wants something contained in sp2, as there's several usb fixes in that (or are the other machines also sp1?)