XP painfully slooooow
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP painfully slooooow

XP painfully slooooow

Had a customer bring an XP box in (spec below) complaining about crashes, errors, slow running and the usual windows problems. Advised him to put it in a bigger case with more fans to assist cooling as the one he had was barely big enough to house a small family of gerbils.

He goes for the bigger case (and PSU) and a new HDD (for his music). I do the re-build and format the disk to install XP pro. The installation took over 6 hours (i had to leave it running overnight and resume in the morning), to start the thing up takes a good 15 minutes

AMD XP2000
    Generic VIA mobo (not sure on brand as it was one of those all-in deals with the whole world on-board)
    256 DDR 266
    Geforce 4 64Mb 440 (disabled on-board VGA)
    Seagate 80Gb 7200
    48x CD-RW

So the case, HDD, and PSU are new. I've tried different RAM, a different CPU, clearing BIOS, different IDE cables. Now I'm truly stumped ?!?!?! Dodgy mobo?

Are you doing the install to the new HDD and have elimiated his old from the picture?? Is the BIOS seeing the HDD correctly and are the jumpers set properly (just a guess)?

update the bios i had a problem like yours by doing that it fix it

Its not the HDD as i've tried two different ones and its the same.

Will try the BIOS update but its difficult to tell what mobo it is as its a generic all in deal from a local supplier here.

Tried installing win2000 yesterday .... 7 hours later and its still going ...

Could it be that the new drive is DOA? Run a check with the makers diags? If it turns out alright, you've eliminated all other possibilities, right? MB it is then, as long as the "new" parts you tried were all good. Bummer, though. You may as well have sold him a new PC. BTW, go to www.wimsbios.com for mb maker from the ID at the bottom of the boot screen.

Thx for the replies, I did fail to mention that the sloooooow boot was happening on his old Maxtor disk also. Will check out that mobo BIOS site.

sounds to me like it is the mobo. Try slapping the chip, Video & IDE cables onton another board and see. My guess it that the board has had it...

you can always tell him that it is because of the small case that the ambient temp inside the case remained at a consistently high enough level to do long term, irrepubale damage to the board.

If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

well cheers for all the feedback, managed to determine the mobo was an MSI-6390 from that site TripleRLtd posted. downloaded the latest BIOS - W6390VMS.260,
    flashed it without a hitch and rebooted ...........

now is when the expletives start to fly ! just as slow (possibly even slower) to boot into windows (at least 15 minutes). so i guess i can bin that mobo and tell him to get a decent one like ASUS or something.

chip and agp worked fine on another board.

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by buksida
    Had a customer bring an XP box in (spec below) complaining about crashes, errors, slow running and the usual windows problems. Advised him to put it in a bigger case with more fans to assist cooling as the one he had was barely big enough to house a small family of gerbils.

He goes for the bigger case (and PSU) and a new HDD (for his music). I do the re-build and format the disk to install XP pro. The installation took over 6 hours (i had to leave it running overnight and resume in the morning), to start the thing up takes a good 15 minutes

AMD XP2000
    Generic VIA mobo (not sure on brand as it was one of those all-in deals with the whole world on-board)
    256 DDR 266
    Geforce 4 64Mb 440 (disabled on-board VGA)
    Seagate 80Gb 7200
    48x CD-RW

So the case, HDD, and PSU are new. I've tried different RAM, a different CPU, clearing BIOS, different IDE cables. Now I'm truly stumped ?!?!?! Dodgy mobo?
    Are there two hard drives in the system? On the same chain? Could it be that one drive is a different ATA speed than the other, causing them to both step down in speed?

Have you tried the drive manufacturer's software to make sure that the ATA speed and all bells & whistles are turned on?

Kind of a headscratcher, eh?

Hope this helps!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s

Other swear by Microstar but IMO they're junk. We had so many mainboard failures (mostly 6340, the KT3 Ultras couldn't even correctly detect memory speeds causing POST problems) that we stopped carrying them. I agree that the mainboard needs to be checked out.

Joe

Sounds like someone has udma turned off in bios for the ide controllers. The win2k install, was it booted from cdrom?

What ide cable type did you use? Did you change the cables?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Sounds like someone has udma turned off in bios for the ide controllers. The win2k install, was it booted from cdrom?

What ide cable type did you use? Did you change the cables?
    You aren't looking at 15 minutes to boot with 16Mb transfer rate even. 15 minute boot time = something bad wrong...not just udma setting.

Joe

Only one drive in there - the new one and its fine

bios settings for ide are fine - tried different ide cables (66)

w2k and XP were installed from CD - they both took half a day

Toss the board, Sell him a nice Asus p4c800, I had the MSI Neo 2 and had stablity problems, the same goes for MSI Video cards
    I have the p4c800 deluxe and an Asus video card, good solid parts
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Well the install taking so long says its something very fundamental, did we ever try a bios flash ? Oh reading back you did !

If it still does it after any available updates & with minimum kit installed then its maybe just not xp compatible, they put 'designed for xp' on the boxes for a reason you know, not every bios is capable of supporting xp/w2k - it works 'different' than it does in 9x which is less 'picky' ..

Start chucking in 'extra' stuff on top (like our AGP card instead of its onboard) then the 'designed for xp' if present for the board, maybe isn't anymore either !
    Last edited by confus-ed; May 1st, 2004 at 04:08 AM.