Stopping Pop ups

Thread: Stopping Pop ups

Stopping Pop ups

I know that we have posted about this at length but I must have not been reading and paying attention. What in your all’s opinions is good to stop pop ups. My wife is running Win2K and when ever she gets on the Internet she is hit so hard with Popups that her computer is rendered useless. I have done the usual things (run Adaware, Spybot, full computer scan and I have shut off the Messenger service.). All this started when my Nanny’s daughter were at my house during spring break and were surfing the web for a week now all my wife gets is pop ups. Thanks in advance.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by mongo69
    I know that we have posted about this at length but I must have not been reading and paying attention. What in your all’s opinions is good to stop pop ups. My wife is running Win2K and when ever she gets on the Internet she is hit so hard with Popups that her computer is rendered useless. I have done the usual things (run Adaware, Spybot, full computer scan and I have shut off the Messenger service.). All this started when my Nanny’s daughter were at my house during spring break and were surfing the web for a week now all my wife gets is pop ups. Thanks in advance.
    Be sure to run CWShredder and Hijack This as well.
    www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

I used the Google Toolbar on my IE Browser and I'm also using FireFox 0.8 which cuts down considerably on the popups.

http://toolbar.google.com/

It's what I use exclusively. I believe it stops about 95% of all popups.

I know there are a few people who don't like "bloatware" running in the background sucking up system resources but all of those popups suck up even more system resources and slows down your IP connection...plus it sucks up your own personal resources by having to physically close all of those popups.

I highly recommend it.

if u want 100% blocking of pop ups and ads and all that is annoying zone alarm is the way to go, never looked back once i started using it and it hasnt failed me yet

Zone Alarm Pro is worth the money.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

another satisfied customer

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    Zone Alarm Pro is worth the money.
    Maybe the Pro version is good but I have not been impressed with the free downloaded version. Man, talk about bloatware.

And again, the Google Toolbar is completely free. Hard to beat that!
    "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAGH!!!" --Howard Dean, Chief of the Democratic Party

The more I have been checking into this I have found that these pop ups come from programs checking back with the Mother ship. I installed the google tool bar but that was only catching a few of the pop ups. I have run spybot and Adware and these have caught quite a few of the drown programs but I am still left with like 4 that I can not get rid of.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by mongo69
    The more I have been checking into this I have found that these pop ups come from programs checking back with the Mother ship. I installed the google tool bar but that was only catching a few of the pop ups. I have run spybot and Adware and these have caught quite a few of the drown programs but I am still left with like 4 that I can not get rid of.
    so have you installed za like suggested?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

one thing, i use my notebook on the universty network, i'm sure that they have a firewall so i dont want to unnecessarily double up, i need a stand alone high quality pop up blocker, i wish zone alarm could take out their pop up blocker and sell it seperately..