PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have an issue that has been going on for over a month. I "upgraded" from Windows XP to Windows 7. My sound application shows that I have Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM). After paying someone numerous times to get my studio program to work right, today I looked at pics of sound card displays under recording devices and THOSE showed the mulitple USEABLE recording devices SIMULTANEOUSLY having a volume meter next to it. In my sound card, I currently use the speakers (of course), the line in, and the microphone jacks. The difference in the image I saw online and mine, however, is when my LINE IN shows as my set default device it is the ONLY device with a volume meter next to it, while my microphone suddenly shows as "currently unavailable". When I make the mic volume the default device, the LINE IN suddenly becomes "currently unavailable". That's a problem which shows when I try to use my home recording studio. Say I want to first record something from my keyboard and it is recorded with no problem (line in= default device). Then I want to record myself on the microphone, so I switch the set default to "mic volume". EVEN though the volume meter shows activity when I speak ON THE SOUND APPLICATION, absolutely nothing is recorded on the home studio program. In fact, my comuter is still stuck in LINE IN mode, because if I cut the keyboard back on, despite my "mic volume" being my current set default, my studio program still picks up on the LINE IN, as if I never left it. Please help!!!