[RESOLVED] MaxTech Modem requires MMX CPU ?

Thread: [RESOLVED] MaxTech Modem requires MMX CPU ?

ScottS

Question MaxTech Modem requires MMX CPU ?

I purchased a MaxTech XPVS56P/RS PCI Winmodem not knowing it had a minumum 166 MHz MMX CPU requirement. I have a Gateway P5-90. Does anyone know of a work-around that would allow me to install this modem. It currently gives me an error that it cannot find the MMX CPU and fails to install correctly.

a lot of new modems have pretty high min. requirements and there is no work around as far as I know, even if there was it wouldn't be right.
    Get a diff modem or better yet upgrade your system. New sytems are so cheap now.
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

Mustang

You could always try to overclock the processor but i wouldnt recommend going that high with it
    i had to upgrade a customers 486 cause the guy he bought a modem from told him it would work in his system
    well after changing the mb processor and about half the other things in the system so it all would work he was finally happy
    by the way he ended up paying more for the upgrade than if he had gone and bought a better quality modem
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news

DiamondTech2

There is no possible way of getting around it. The drivers specifically look for MMX cpu and if it has none then it is disabled and cannot be re-enabled or used. Period. If you managed to get it to work somehow then you would most likely get poor preformance, disconnects, etc, etc..
    Get a hardware based modem...You can usually get ones that will work all the way down to a 386.