XP SP1 Update - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XP SP1 Update

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    "ERROR: No Software Build Number Available"
    That certainly seems like your problem. If it doesn't what OS your running the service pack won't install. Maybe MS can tell you where in the registry that is and you can fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by -Z-
    I downlaoded the SP1 Recovery Fix from the hp site and am downloading the SP2 preview now. When I attempt to run the HP recover fix, I get an message saying:
    "ERROR: No Software Build Number Available"
    I will set a recovery point and give the SP2 preview a shot.
    Is there a way to wipe and reinstall XP Home Edition without purchasing the software? (I recently learned the hard way about spyware and I think I may have some "scars" on my system).
    Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks for the help so far!!
    OK, I think you have the key to this right there... Do you have the recovery cds for your machine? If not, is it because they were not supplied? If there were not supplied then get on to them and get a set. You are entitled to them.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I knew we'd end uptalking about COA's (that's Certificates of Authenticity for anyone who is a little confus-ed) .. As I say above COA's ARE NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP - you can buy them on their own & its not to say either that -Z-'s key is the problem, its perfectly feasable that not having Java machine enabled or one of the other 'gazzillions' of reasons why it can be 'broke' aren't applying, they've changed the scripts at WU to stop them getting loads of calls ..

If this is a OEM pre-install he must take it up with his supplier not M$ .. unless there's someone out there who works for a big OEM supplier who can 'slip us' the checklist ?

Quote Originally Posted by -Z-
    I tried contacting Microsoft, and my PID is not a known pirated number. They seem to be giving me the run around on actually getting some useful help.
    Microsoft tells me to contact Compaq since it was put on the computer under an OEM license agreement. Compaq tells me "if there is a problem installing the update, don't install it". My understanding is that SP1 was a pretty significant update for XP, so I did some more research to try and get it to install.
    I ended up doing a manual download (bypassing the web-based Windows Update) of SP1a and attempted to install it, once again, the same message: "Windows XP SP1 is incompatible with this version of Windows".
    Microsoft thought it was wierd and told me to call Compaq again. Any other thoughts before Compaq gives me some more "helpful" advice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BTW your clock set proper

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Not to go too far off topic, but have you (or anyone here, or RGHarper, anyone at your group) installed this rc yet? If so, what is the general impression?...
    I have been running the SP2 - Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rc1.040311-2315 (Service Pack 2, v.1096) - on my office laptop (P4 1.7 Toshiba) and my home machine (XP2100+ custom) without any major problems for the last 3-4 weeks.

My home PC even crashed during the install (previously existing problem) - twice - and the SP2 still continued to install once the PC had rebooted.

By default, all the added security features get turned on, firewall, outlook preview pane, etc. - so take that into consideration after loading it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Hello again,
    I managed to get SP2 to download correctly from the link provided. So it looks like I was able tyo get the SP1 stuff with it.
    Thank you all for taking the time to help me through this, your suggestions and willingness to help are greatly appreciated!!

But has sp2 installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I was able to install SP2 and verified it through the "My Computer" properties. It now reads "Service Pack 2, v. 2096".
    Hopefully they have a good amount of the bugs worked out for it, or you may be hearing from me again real soon .

Thanks again for the help

Banned
    now , i d/loaded and installed sp2 ,,,,and try as i might i could not get updates to work ?

so i took it off

oh well such is life.

have u tried going windows updates yet , coz i believe there are about 6 after sp2 beta?

freddy

Hey,
    Ive been running SP2 since the day it was posted on the MS site,, General impressions are,At least to me,GREAT~!
    The new MS update interface is a little less informative,But,Its Been Very stable,And So far,Ive not had a single glitch.
    After 1 month of use,I installed it into 3 of our other PCs,All of which installed smoothly.
    Patches/updates have been downloading fine,To me,, It seems better than downloading the other 9,091,203 patches seperately

Thanks people. Downloading RC 2 as I type. I had the XP preview and it was great every step of the way: especially as an upgrade to ME eeekkk.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    ..have u tried going windows updates yet , coz i believe there are about 6 after sp2 beta?..
    This particular lines quite important folks..-There's more !

The beta copies of sp2 floating about may not register the updates such that WU can work out they are there (I've got a machine that will & one that won't !), because that's designed to be looking for what sp1 has done & as they haven't completely decided what should be in sp2 it can't check on that (depends on order of install apparently) - you may find yourself neither here nor there if you add the BETA patch - I'd suggest if your are really concerned about having every patch as 'its supposed to be' you do it all the long winded way until they make it RTM (release to market) or 'official' (its actually at windows update to download) & not 'a release candidate' ..

& btw .. like the big 'R' Richard .. but that makes you 'single R' not TripleR

Edited due to emr 'quite rightly' pulling me up !
    Last edited by confus-ed; May 6th, 2004 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    This particular lines quite important folks..-There's more !

The beta copies of sp2 floating about may not register the updates such that WU can work out they are there (I've got a machine that will & one that won't !), because that's designed to be looking for what sp1 has done & as they haven't completely decided what should be in sp2 it can't check on that (depends on order of install apparently) - you may find yourself neither here nor there if you add the BETA patch - I'd suggest if your are really concerned about having every patch as 'its supposed to be' you do it all the long winded way until they make it alpha & not 'a release candidate' ..

I thought an RC was way after an alpha release? Alpha, beta, RC then RTM is the ways I understood it.

Confused?

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    I thought an RC was way after an alpha release? Alpha, beta, RC then RTM is the ways I understood it.

Confused?

emr
    Oooooo ! - alright then wait until its 'official' ! RTM (release to market)to you

Programmers use the terms one way, testers another & systems analysts differently too & the rest of the world yet another still .. (I've been doing paid testing lately & that's back to front - so yeah bloomin' confus-edly confus-ed ! ..)

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    276 mb's in 13 minutes. Gotta love broadband.

-ed:
    The big R (too big btw) is for "Rutgers,The State University of New Jersey".