XP SP1 Update
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: XP SP1 Update

XP SP1 Update

Hello all,
    I am attempting to update Windows XP with SP1. I am getting the following error message during the install:

"Windows XP SP1 is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact Microsoft."

Any idea what this might indicate?

Yes, it indicates you have a copy of windows with a known pirated number. Contact Microsoft in order to get a new cd key.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I tried contacting Microsoft, and my PID is not a known pirated number. They seem to be giving me the run around on actually getting some useful help.
    Microsoft tells me to contact Compaq since it was put on the computer under an OEM license agreement. Compaq tells me "if there is a problem installing the update, don't install it". My understanding is that SP1 was a pretty significant update for XP, so I did some more research to try and get it to install.
    I ended up doing a manual download (bypassing the web-based Windows Update) of SP1a and attempted to install it, once again, the same message: "Windows XP SP1 is incompatible with this version of Windows".
    Microsoft thought it was wierd and told me to call Compaq again. Any other thoughts before Compaq gives me some more "helpful" advice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Keep complaining to both

Quote Originally Posted by -Z-
    I tried contacting Microsoft, and my PID is not a known pirated number. They seem to be giving me the run around on actually getting some useful help.
    Microsoft tells me to contact Compaq since it was put on the computer under an OEM license agreement. Compaq tells me "if there is a problem installing the update, don't install it". My understanding is that SP1 was a pretty significant update for XP, so I did some more research to try and get it to install.
    I ended up doing a manual download (bypassing the web-based Windows Update) of SP1a and attempted to install it, once again, the same message: "Windows XP SP1 is incompatible with this version of Windows".
    Microsoft thought it was wierd and told me to call Compaq again. Any other thoughts before Compaq gives me some more "helpful" advice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    I would complain to both parties (especially Compaq). That does not sound right. Ask to speak to a manager.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Just wondering what it says when you go to System Properties. Does it say Version 2002? Also, what does it say in Safe mode as the number? 5.1 etc?

On the properties menu for "My Computer", it says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002".
    I am not quite sure about the Safe Mode information you are asking for. In Safe Mode it says "Build 2600"-not sure if that will help or not. If you can walk me through where I need to go once in Safe Mode, I will be glad to get the info for you.
    Thanks again for the assistance...

Quote Originally Posted by -Z-
    starting with the basics

do you get the same error from within windows update? some advice from google mentions this...

Make sure you have the 32-bit version of SP1 and not the 64-bit version.

Top two results here look promising.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I do get the same error running the update through Windows Update and installing manually. I downloaded SP1a again to double cehck that I had the 32 bit version and tried again.
    I also ran the purgecache and scannow functions as recommended in the linked threads. They didn't seem to do anything, but didn't give me an error message(not sure if that is normal or not).
    I also tried doing the update in Safe Mode just for the heck of it. Still the same problem.
    One of the threads did mention that there were complications installing this update on HP and Compaq machines, so that could be part of my problem.
    Is this Service Pack worth the trouble? I'm not sure what it contains but I certainly hope it helps

Yes, several hundred bug fixes and a ton of major security problems are fixed. USB2 being the most well known.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yes, several hundred bug fixes and a ton of major security problems are fixed. USB2 being the most well known.
    There is the public release canditate of SP2 available which will include all of SP1 and everything since. You could set a system restore point and try and install this to see if the same error pops up or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...p2preview.mspx

The full version is due to be released sometime in June I believe.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    There is the public release canditate of SP2 available which will include all of SP1 and everything since. You could set a system restore point and try and install this to see if the same error pops up or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...p2preview.mspx

The full version is due to be released sometime in June I believe.

emr
    Not to go too far off topic, but have you (or anyone here, or RGHarper, anyone at your group) installed this rc yet? If so, what is the general impression?
    To -Z-. Perhaps try a repair install and then an immediate install of the SP. Yes, the SP is vital. But geesh, you would think MS would help here.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    On HP machines there is a sp1 patch that is to fix system recovery. It can be run before or after sp1 is installed. It is available on the HP site. I can't find the link to download it but the file name is SP1RcvryFix.exe. I don't know if this will help but if your machine needs it I would try installing it then running the update. Also, Have you tried making a new user with Administrative privileges, turning off all running programs using Msconfig and trying it again?

I downlaoded the SP1 Recovery Fix from the hp site and am downloading the SP2 preview now. When I attempt to run the HP recover fix, I get an message saying:
    "ERROR: No Software Build Number Available"
    I will set a recovery point and give the SP2 preview a shot.
    Is there a way to wipe and reinstall XP Home Edition without purchasing the software? (I recently learned the hard way about spyware and I think I may have some "scars" on my system).
    Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks for the help so far!!

There's like a gazillion reasons why the service pack won't install, MS haven't helped matters by actually reducing the number of errors it reports about specifically, & grouping them all up in this one .. once agian Billy Boy thanks a bunch - this apparently is an OEM support issue now !

(M$ have actually figured out that they can't track who actually owns their own products & who doesn't, due to the practice of various folks selling COA's & windows disks seperate from each other, & have cottoned onto the fact that a receipt from an approved re-seller is the only 'real' proof of ownership & obviously only these OEM's can check that, from their own records)

Now whilst not a fan of automated scripts (that's what they'll use to help) or comcrap, they really should have one that steps you through all of the 'possibles' on this & they should be able to help you out ..

SP1 is 'vital' !

Get back onto Compaq & don't be swallowing any 'feeble' excuses , they've had your money already so get some value out of them !..

Banned
    not having used xp home , and only using corp version , i thought that the "blacklist" was for the bent copies of pro version.

in this case if u have a valid COA No , will microsoft not give you an alternate No?

on one of the installations i attend , comeone had loaded the "blacklisted" copy of xp pro ,,and sp1 would not load. as this was a corporate settup , i had a proggy that let me change ser no , which i did , to the correct no. then installed sp1.

like i say ,,,,i,m bemused with xp retail (home) ,,????

but as it is the retail version , and has come thru compac ,,,,the assistance/warrenty/whatever is down to them.,,,,new disk / coa req please ,,,

alan