802.11G Booster

Thread: 802.11G Booster

Unhappy 802.11G Booster

I have a Linksys WAP54G but signal strength is an issue. I'm using with a WET11 Bridge that only runs 11B but works O.K., however at certain times of day I lose the signal. If I try a 11B card with my wifes laptop, the signal only works within the room with the WAP.

I have a 11G card coming with a new laptop so figure I'll find out if that makes any difference. Could also move the WAP higher up. Some issues with metal in walls.

Had a 11B WAP before that worked much better from third floor and could pick up signal for the most part around the house. However, found booster but only for 11B and not 11G.

Any ideas?

I think your SOL. You might consider using netstumbler to see what kind of snr (signal to noise ratio) you are getting. Lot's of noise means some device is interfering on that channel (microwave, 2.4ghz cordless phone, etc). Try jumping channels and see if that improves your signal. Try one end of the spectrum and then the other and see if it improves.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Hang in there!!!

Linksys is working toward releasing a 11g booster. Darn, I cant find it on their site today...but they are really close to bringing one to market. When I find the press release, I will post a link.

bb
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1