Linux as a Media Server.

Thread: Linux as a Media Server.

Linux as a Media Server.

Hello everyone!
    I am very new to linux. I loaded Red Hat on a laptop recently (Other Linux people tell me that laptops/linux do not mix well) with the exception of the mouse pad which was dodgy anyway I enjoyed the experience, though found Red Hat was not intuitive enough for me... being spoiled by all manner of Windows since 3.1. I've never done any programming and I'm not even sure what compiling means, let alone how to do it!
    That's my Linux background.
    I want to get into it... I think there will be a big future in it when Bill "Satan" Gates is finally rumbled. (Mind you, XP Pro is sweet!)
    So here's my thing:
    I want to build a media server from an old Compaq Deskpro EN P111
    with about 256MB RAM. I plan to put something like a Hauppage PCI TV card, an ATI AGPcard with TV out and about 160GB of HDD storage space in it.
    My understanding is that the box goes between the satellite box and the TV and with Freevo and a wireless Keyboard/pointing device it is possible to use the Linux box like a TIVO.
    Has anyone done this? Am i barking up the wrong tree altogether? will I come up against problems with drivers etc? Is this overly *****ious as an introduction to Linux? Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    I thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by greebo
    Hello everyone!
    I am very new to linux. I loaded Red Hat on a laptop recently (Other Linux people tell me that laptops/linux do not mix well) with the exception of the mouse pad which was dodgy anyway I enjoyed the experience, though found Red Hat was not intuitive enough for me... being spoiled by all manner of Windows since 3.1. I've never done any programming and I'm not even sure what compiling means, let alone how to do it!
    That's my Linux background.
    I want to get into it... I think there will be a big future in it when Bill "Satan" Gates is finally rumbled. (Mind you, XP Pro is sweet!)
    So here's my thing:
    I want to build a media server from an old Compaq Deskpro EN P111
    with about 256MB RAM. I plan to put something like a Hauppage PCI TV card, an ATI AGPcard with TV out and about 160GB of HDD storage space in it.
    My understanding is that the box goes between the satellite box and the TV and with Freevo and a wireless Keyboard/pointing device it is possible to use the Linux box like a TIVO.
    Has anyone done this? Am i barking up the wrong tree altogether? will I come up against problems with drivers etc? Is this overly *****ious as an introduction to Linux? Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    I thank you!http://forums.windrivers.com/images/...s/rolleyes.gif
    have a look here
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    have a look here
    WOW!
    a lot to look at there. I shall do so later.
    thank you very much.
    I found this article:
    http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...a=39991,00.asp

as you have obviously looked into this yourself I assume you will find it interesting.