External DVD Trouble

Thread: External DVD Trouble

External DVD Trouble

I bought a USB External Pioneer drive. The Enclosure is a Plumax and the DVD is a Pioneer DVR-107D. Norton ghost, True Image 7 and Windows Explorer XP will not recognize a blank DVD media but will recognize a CD Blank Disk. Nero that came with the drive will recognize and burn to a DVD blank Media. Does not make since to me. If Nero can recognize DVD blank Media. Why can't Explorer and the rest of my backup software recognize it. I have the latest ASPI drivers. I tried it on a windows 98 system and still have the same problem. Would anybody have a answer to this problem?

Will

I am not sure if I read this correctly but until a "blank" DVD (or CD for that matter) is formatted or in some way made "readable" by the OS, Explorer and other progs will not recognize it. Writing programs, well, that is what they do: they recognize the blank and are a tool to make it readable. Think about an unformatted floppy disk. Until you format it, Dos or Windows will not recognize it. But the Dos command format a: will do it's job. Is that what you don't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    I am not sure if I read this correctly but until a "blank" DVD (or CD for that matter) is formatted or in some way made "readable" by the OS, Explorer and other progs will not recognize it. Writing programs, well, that is what they do: they recognize the blank and are a tool to make it readable. Think about an unformatted floppy disk. Until you format it, Dos or Windows will not recognize it. But the Dos command format a: will do it's job. Is that what you don't understand?
    Aye .. for explorer et al to see it like a disk you'll need some packet writing software installed like INCD (or whatever -that just happens to be the Nero tool for it) - CDs & DVDs have different file systems.