Gas prices... - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Gas prices...

The high gas prices really suck for me since I have a large newspaper route. The prices started rising just in time for me to get a better delivery car, so I managed to find a Civic VX that's supposed to get around 50mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G
    The high gas prices really suck for me ..so I managed to find a Civic VX that's supposed to get around 50mpg
    Well that's a start I suppose .. but isn't it strange how everything in the world has got bigger, better smarter, more efficient - but twenty odd years ago I was driving an original mini, which if 'nursed' could manage about 40mpg (urban - which is obviously as pointed out earlier 'vague') & up to 50 on 'a run' .. so why the hell aren't cars doing like at least 100mpg now ?

Perhaps its because car mad American friends have been paying dirt cheap prices for gas/petrol for years & so never cared ? & our old friend 'supply & demand' had no demand for fuel efficient cars !

btw anyone who wants to drive a 1000 miles for a holiday is 'mad' & anyone doing a commute of 100km or more a day is even more 'mad' - I've got way better things to do with my time ! (like annoy you here ! ).

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    Hey i've got a h3ll of a commute, must be 2.4km (1.5 miles) and thats each way!

My commute is just over a mile round trip. When we bought our house, my wife and I told the realtor that we wanted a single within a mile of where we work.

If I need anything small within two miles or so, I either walk or take the new mountain bike. I've been doing that for about 12 years, the only thing that's changed is fewer people are laughing now. :butt:
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    btw anyone who wants to drive a 1000 miles for a holiday is 'mad' & anyone doing a commute of 100km or more a day is even more 'mad' - I've got way better things to do with my time ! (like annoy you here ! ).
    Yeah, I have 50 mile commute to work every day and that's costly enough. Stopped using the m-way because my car (A Mondeo with, for some stupid reason, a 1.6 engine in it) was drinking petrol at 70mph. You could see the needle moving.

I'm after getting myself a diesel Vauxhall Astra... 55mpg sounds good to me
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein