IDE to SATA Data Transfer

Thread: IDE to SATA Data Transfer

IDE to SATA Data Transfer

I just got a Serial hard drive and want to transfer everything from my old "C" drive (IDE) to the new SATA drive.

The last time I transferred data like this I used DriveCopy v3.0 but that was going from IDE to IDE. It does not seem to want to work going from IDE to SATA.

Does anyone have any experience doing this and what software did you use?
    How will all the racecar drivers measure themselves now that their "yardstick" is gone?

We miss you Dale Earnhardt aka "The Intimidator" #3

Installation Software

These utilities are designed to perform diagnostic read/write verifications on hard drives. These tests will determine hard drive integrity and install the OS setup. Then you this installs your OS or you can Copy OS, Applications and Files to New Drive:

For example, let say you have IDE and is a Seagate and SATA you purchase is Western Digital then will to need download Western Digital software. These software have many options how to set your OS this software is put out by Ontrack.

http://seagate.com/support/software/
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Compatible Operating Systems: WindowsNT, WindowsXP, Windows2000, WindowsME, Windows98, Windows95B.

That is because DriveCopy 3.0 is too old. You will need the latest version of a utility like Ghost 2003: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...st&svy=&csm=no

TO: TripleRLtd

These update now include DriveCopy I this install SATA from a IDE drive and work with out hitch and the software are free. About a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wmicro
    TO: TripleRLtd

These update now include DriveCopy I this install SATA from a IDE drive and work with out hitch and the software are free. About a week ago.
    What update?? What is free? Little more understandable info needed here? I do believe you, and anything free is great!! But, elaborate, please.

Ontrack is the leader for hard drive installation software, but company like Seagate, WDC, Maxtor, Fujitsu and IBM purchased the right to use the software under their name. Ontrack has now incorporated a drive copy from one drive to another and incorporated in the software very recently. Now when a purchase OEM drive Seagate, WDC, Maxtor you can download the software free and you can copy your OS from drive to another drive SCSI to IDE or IDE to SATA and so on. You need to download the primary hard drive software.

DiskManager software for Western Digital installs only their hard drive (Seagate and Maxtor will only install their own hard drive) with DiskManager unless you purchased the retail version this will install any hard drive.

For example, let say you have IDE is a Seagate hard drive and you purchase a Western Digital SATA hard drives (now your primary) , then will you need to download Western Digital software however, the Western Digital DiskManager will install the files from the Seagate hard drive and, the OS and, COPIES your Applications and Files to New SATA Western Digital Drive and drive now is the new primary.

After completion of the new hard drive disconnected the old hard drive and reboot your system and make sure everything works for a few days. Then if you want to you can change it as a secondary hard drive this set your jumper – as secondary hard drive you do not need to reformat unless you want to.

Disk Manager® software, provides support for the latest disk drives and features to help you through the entire drive installation process – from correctly connecting the drive to your system – through complete electronic installation – to automatically migrating your files.
    The exclusive Disk Manager “worry-free” installation and graphical interface intelligently and easily leads you through the entire process. No long technical support calls, no searching through thick, complicated user guides to find the correct jumper settings or BIOS upgrading procedures. Whether you are a computer professional or a novice user, it is simple to install any manufacturer’s hard drive with Disk Manager by Ontrack.

Alright, now I know what you mean. Yes indeed these tools are free, and since they support data transfer over SATA now, go for it. Good tip, wmicro.

Maybe confus-ed-itis is some sort of disease that can spread to others somehow or other ? I never even posted & look at this thread ! , I suspect that the debate over what should get used to do this, has distracted the thrust of the thread .

Whatever s/w came with the drive (if it didn't download it from the appropriate manufacturers site as wmicro rightly suggests) should work ok once you've installed the sata drivers.

Is that the step you've missed ?

Would The Intimidator please confirm he has added those drivers ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Maybe confus-ed-itis is some sort of disease that can spread to others somehow or other ? I never even posted & look at this thread ! , I suspect that the debate over what should get used to do this, has distracted the thrust of the thread .

Whatever s/w came with the drive (if it didn't download it from the appropriate manufacturers site as wmicro rightly suggests) should work ok once you've installed the sata drivers.

Is that the step you've missed ?

Would The Intimidator please confirm he has added those drivers ?

I did indeed install the SATA drivers... But, I didn't get any software with the hard drive. I guess I'll have to go look at the Maxtor website and see what I'm missing.

Thanks everyone... I'll give it another try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
    How will all the racecar drivers measure themselves now that their "yardstick" is gone?

We miss you Dale Earnhardt aka "The Intimidator" #3