USB 2.0 NEC chipset PCMCIA card freezes OS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 NEC chipset PCMCIA card freezes OS

USB 2.0 NEC chipset PCMCIA card freezes OS

Hi

I brought a 4 port USB 2.0 BYTECC PCMCIA card for use with my NEC 2500A DVD writer. Problem is that is if I access the DVD writer for more than a few minutes (viewing movie,writing etc) it freezes up my system.
    The only solution is rebooting.
    Here are the specs
    My system: Compaq Presario 2195US
    PCMCIA card chipset: NEC
    Driver: Microsoft 5.1.2600.1243(xpsp2.030702-2125)

I had installed the driver which came along with card.

I tested the DVD drive with my laptop's USb 1.1 ports and with firewire it works fine.

So is it a faulty PCMCIA card or a faulty driver?

thanks
    taz

Another NEC chipset... try a bios update for your compaq
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I tried it. Its the same senario. I try to play a dvd and the OS hangs!!!
    The drive happily works with the firewire cable I brought.
    So is it a problem with hp/compaq machines and NEC chipset? Should I return the PC card and ask for another?

taz

Hello tazdevil,

May have found a solution to your problem, which may be due in part to XP's/2000's overreliance on digitally signed drivers. Just received Bytecc USB2/Firewire PCMCIA card and had similar issues when connecting USB2 Mini Cruzer -> XP Home SP1 (on Presario 2199US) would freeze/crash system and erase flash drive's contents.

Check Device Manager to see if have Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. If so, then disable this (Right-click). [Note: may be able to bypass having to disable the device but don't know b/c never tried without disabling it]

Install the software from the included CD-ROM (w/in Windows Explorer):
    (ROM Drive):\USB2.0 Host\NEC\Win2000_XP\U2v2_1_4.exe
    (Of course, file may be different since you don't have the combo card but the process is similar.)

Don't restart computer afterwards when prompted. Instead, return to Device Manager and right-click the disabled Enhanced Controller to update it.

Make sure you install from a list or specific location. Then select:
    "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Select Have Disk and browse to the following directory on the drive where XP is installed.

\WINDOWS\Drivers\ousb2
    (The exact directory may be different. Watch closely where the files are extracted to after clicking on the included driver file on the CD.)

Now, you should be able to choose NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller Version 2.1.4.0 [6/1/2003]
    (Again, this driver may be different.)

It won't be digitally signed but it works. You also may have a new USB 2.0 Root Hub Device showing after XP re-enables the device.

A power adapter is not needed.

Good luck.

nec usb 2.0 pcmcia still feezing

Hi

I have also recently purchased a pcmcia usb 2.0 card with nec chipset.
    I bought this specifically so that I could use my usb tv tuner and get full resolution. I used the usb 2.0 card while running windows 2000. Card worked fine however after about 20 mins of watching the tv tuner program freezes. Have stop and unplug the card. Then plug in again. Prgram works for another 20 mins. I noticed though that the card became quite hot when I pulled it out. Perhaps this has something to do with the system freezing up.

I now run XP and the card simply refuses to identify mu tv tuner. It simply says unknownn device. So to combat this I unplug the card. Plug the tv tuner into the card. Then plug the card into the laptop. It then detects my tv tuner. However the tv tuner only works for about 5 seconds before it freezes. I have tried changing the drivers even when XP tells me the drivers are not XP tested.

When I plug the tv tuner into the built in usb 1.1 port everything works fine.

I don't know what else to try. I suspect there is the problem with heat build up in the card as it cannot supply 500mA without making the system unstable. The pacakaging does say that devices that require 500mA or more can make the system unstable and it is recommended that an external power source is used.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Regards

Nemo

Thumbs up You are my hero

Spent hours surfing around the web for a solution to this problem, and your suggestion did the trick. Thanks a ton for posting... (certainly would not have thought to use an "inferior" driver...)

ses314

Quote Originally Posted by usb2weary
    Hello tazdevil,

May have found a solution to your problem, which may be due in part to XP's/2000's overreliance on digitally signed drivers. Just received Bytecc USB2/Firewire PCMCIA card and had similar issues when connecting USB2 Mini Cruzer -> XP Home SP1 (on Presario 2199US) would freeze/crash system and erase flash drive's contents.

Check Device Manager to see if have Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. If so, then disable this (Right-click). [Note: may be able to bypass having to disable the device but don't know b/c never tried without disabling it]

Install the software from the included CD-ROM (w/in Windows Explorer):
    (ROM Drive):\USB2.0 Host\NEC\Win2000_XP\U2v2_1_4.exe
    (Of course, file may be different since you don't have the combo card but the process is similar.)

Don't restart computer afterwards when prompted. Instead, return to Device Manager and right-click the disabled Enhanced Controller to update it.

Make sure you install from a list or specific location. Then select:
    "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Select Have Disk and browse to the following directory on the drive where XP is installed.

\WINDOWS\Drivers\ousb2
    (The exact directory may be different. Watch closely where the files are extracted to after clicking on the included driver file on the CD.)

Now, you should be able to choose NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller Version 2.1.4.0 [6/1/2003]
    (Again, this driver may be different.)

It won't be digitally signed but it works. You also may have a new USB 2.0 Root Hub Device showing after XP re-enables the device.

A power adapter is not needed.

Good luck.

That didnt work for me

I tried doing that and I was really expecting it to work. But when I do that I get an exclamation in the device manager on the USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller. What should I do?

No exclamations anymore

Ok i got rid of the exclamation on the usb thing. But now whenever I try the usb slot, it starts freezing up as usual again. Does microsoft have an update online for the usb 2.0 driver anywhere for windows xp home?

You need to have at least xp service pack 1 for usb2 to work.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi Again

I have sp2 actually for my windows xp home. I even tried going on Ali to download the new drivers but those didnt work either. My usb slot works but it only works as a usb 1.1 port and not 2.0 Do you think there is a driver I can download to get usb 2.0 working? Which hardware will i have to upgrade to 2.0, the USB Root Hub? The Ali Enhanced USB 2.0 Host Controller? I don't know why it doesn't go 2.0 speed. I even tried using the xp drivers for usb 2.0 but they didnt work either, the computer keeps saying write delay failed or something regarding not being able to send files to my external hard drive, which is why i want this usb port working. Nothings wrong with the hard drive cuz i tried it on my regular usb port and it works fine, but those are usb 1.1. I want the speed of 2.0. What should I do?

sunomi86 you cannot turn a usb 1.1 port into usb 2.0 - it has to be usb 2.0 to begin with.

Is this a pcmcia card, pci card or onboard?
    What computer?

I have a 2 usb 2.0 ports ON my pcmcia card which i attached my my hp ze4530us laptop. It is a card. The chip is the Ali m5271. And now the usb ports don't even load my hard drive, but it shows that it's installed on my device manager. There are no errors on my device manager so the hard drive should be working when i connect them to my usb port on my usb 2.0 pcmcia card.

if the usb drive shows up as installed in device manager... what is showing in disk management under storage in computer management?

Sometimes usb drives do not get a drive letter assigned because the letter windows wants to use is in use elsewhere.

Hi

The USB is given a drive letter though. It's E. But whenevr I try to click it, it never lets me send files to it. I know for sure that the hard drive works cuz i tried it on a usb 1.1 port. And this is usb 2.0 compatible cuz it says on the drive it is. Thanks for you helping me by the way. I seriously appreciate it since ALi doesn't want to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by sunomi86
    Oh and when i do try to send files to it, it gives me the error "Delay Write Failed." So it's losing data when trying to send to the hard drive. I know for sure its a driver issue, but I don't know how to fix it. Thanks again
    Please don't start a new thread to follow up on an existing issue. Continue here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=58476

Noo - please lock this thread.
    Last edited by hudsonsmith; September 10th, 2004 at 01:12 PM.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.