USB 2.0 NEC chipset PCMCIA card freezes OS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 NEC chipset PCMCIA card freezes OS

Quote Originally Posted by sunomi86
    The USB is given a drive letter though. It's E. But whenevr I try to click it, it never lets me send files to it. I know for sure that the hard drive works cuz i tried it on a usb 1.1 port. And this is usb 2.0 compatible cuz it says on the drive it is. Thanks for you helping me by the way. I seriously appreciate it since ALi doesn't want to help me.
    Please don't start a new thread to follow up on an existing issue. Continue here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=58476

Noo - please lock this thread.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Have you tried installing the ALi integrated driver? ftp://www.ali.com.tw/driver/Integrated207.exe
    Do you have another usb 2.0 device that you can try?
    Can you get the external drive to work at usb 2.0 on another computer?
    What is the make and model of the external drive?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Hi

I tried my card on another computer with xp professional and it worked like a charm! But on my computer for some reason theres probs. What you think the reason is?

Hi

And yeah i tried that integrated thing before.....didn't work. Gave me same prob. No work on usb 2.0, but work on usb 1.1 driver

I didn't ask if the pcmia card worked on another computer - I asked if the external drive worked at usb 2.0 on another computer. Please answer the other questions above as well.

Not to be rude, but how many times do you need to be told to stop starting new threads when responding to an existing thread. Post your responses in the existing thread. If you start a new thread, nobody can see the history and has any idea what you are talking about.

And yeah i tried that integrated thing before.....didn't work. Gave me same prob. No work on usb 2.0, but work on usb 1.1 driver
    When you install the integrated driver, does the usb controller on the pcmia card appear in device manager as a usb2 controller? If it is appearing as "Ali Enhanced USB 2.0 Host Controller" with no error codes (open "properties" for the controller and read the device status), then the driver is installed correctly. The problem would then be with the device you are connecting to the port, not your card.

Hi

Yeah it installs with no error codes. But the thing is, I used this EXACT card on another computer and the hard drive worked perfectly with this card at usb 2.0 speed. That means that the problem is not the hard drive, it's the pcmcia usb 2.0 card slot. But thanks for that hypothesis. What else could be the prob?

Banned
    Is there any way to take the drivers from the windows xp professional computer that I tried it on? Cuz maybe the xp professional drivers may help mine work.
    will you please delete this post (go to edit) ,,,and contine your topic in one of the other threads you have started,

we are getting confused ,and fustrated following your many posts,

when someone answers your post , hit the reply button ,,not new topic

OK I have merged it all back into the originating thread.

Please use the reply button sunomi - people like to give answers and find out if they work, it is impossible to do that if you don't use the reply button.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What is the make and model of your external drive? You may need an updated driver for it.

When you connect the drive, does it appear in device manager? If so, open properties and select the policies tab. Deselect "enable write caching"

You could also try running sfc /scannow (from the Start/Run window)

Hi

sorry for the problems. I didn't know that we had to press reply. I kept on pressing new post. But yeah the deal is that the usb pcmcia card works on another pc with xp professional and when i connect my external usb 2.0 hard drive to it, it works as well. But for some reason it doesn't work on my laptop. Is there any way to take the drivers from the xp professional computer and use them on my laptop? I'm thinking that may make it work.

Im sorry once again

Sorry for the trouble. I really didn't mean to. I'm a newbie on these forum stuff. But yeah the external drive worked at usb 2.0 on another computer. And other usb devices have the same prob. the make of the hard drive is acomdata HD160U2E3-72. Its 160 gb. Once again, sorry for the trouble. And thank you for helping me

re:usb2 4 port hub

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Please don't start a new thread to follow up on an existing issue. Continue here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=58476

Noo - please lock this thread.
    I too have a nec chipped 4 port usb 2.o pcmcia card, i fought with it for about 2 days but i finally got it working.
    My laptop has a texas instruments 1412 cardbus controller, and the usb card was supposingly supposed to have enough power to handle the stuff you plug in. Well, it does as long as there is not going too be any writing done to the devices plugged in. Mine would accept cdroms and burners but would hang up everytime i tried too burn a cd or dvd with it. If i hooked a hardrive up it would lock the computer up until i pulled the card out. wouldn't even let me plug it in and then start puter, would hang on logon screen. So what i found was that in windows me it detected and installed a system talks 2 enhanced pci to usb controller, and nec usb2 hubs.
    well, windows xp seemed too think that they were standard enhanced pci to usb controller, which was the main problem, if you disable it it will work just fine in usb 1.1 mode, but that would of defeated the purpose of the card. So i forced to install the non digitally signed system talks 2 drivers, this took care of the lock ups, then what i found is anytime you are hooking up a mass storage device, weather external enclosure or external power supply, the card still needs external 5v dc power source to be able to engage buffers and such. Moral of the story the nec 4 port hubs that i see people having problems with, i have one and now it is cruising in usb 2 mode on my laptop and works sweet. I hope this helped at least alittle.

sorry for the problems. I didn't know that we had to press reply. I kept on pressing new post. But yeah the deal is that the usb pcmcia card works on another pc with xp professional and when i connect my external usb 2.0 hard drive to it, it works as well. But for some reason it doesn't work on my laptop. Is there any way to take the drivers from the xp professional computer and use them on my laptop? I'm thinking that may make it work.
    jubangy has a point - not all usb 2.0 ports are equal.... in fact I have a small usb2 10gig drive, two exact same compaqs, one will run it, the other won't.... unless I plug in the power supply as well.

Welcome to Windrivers jubangy and thanks for the input.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."