Sound Driver issues

Thread: Sound Driver issues

Sound Driver issues

Hi. My neighboors gave me an old computer of theirs that i've managed to fix up pretty well. I've gotten all most everything to work except for the sound. I actually got some of it fixed but there are still a couple problems with 3 of my sound devices. Windows suggests upgrading or reintalling the drives, neither of which I have been able to do for various reasons. I'm postive the sound is intergrated onto the motherboard. The computer is a NEC Read with a 233 Mhz pentium processor and Windows 98. As far as the motherboard, NEC has a terrible website and I've not been able to determine the type of motherboard from looking inside the computer. I think the name of the chipset (or motherboard) might be D481850GF-A12 or 9624KU506. I'll look further into the type of motherboard but thats all I've got for now. Thanks in advace for all the help.

Welcome to WD KOB0724 .

Can you download this
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/ove...ang=en&pageid=1
    (its free)
    and run it , it should tell us about whats in your PC

you'll look under Devices/Physical and or /PCI devices

and tell us about anything that has 'audio' in it .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

if you know the nec computer model number you can download the drivers here

I am pretty sure that has the creative vibra - so choose a powermate then PMMX2200 - select audio device and your operating system.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, heres what I got. There are six things under sound, video and came contollers when system proporties and then to the device manager. The ones that are malfunctioning (and windows says I need to re-install or upgrade the drivers for) are: Closed Caption decoder (when I look under properties it says the ntkern.vxd device loader could not load the device driver code 2) the NABTS/FEC VBI Codec (which has the same error as the Closed Caption decoder) and the WaveTop (TM) NABTS/CC Codec VBI (which also has the same error.) As far as system information goes it is an NEC Ready 9840, with an Intel Anchorage motherboard AN430 TX, usind an i430 TX chipset, one of the physical PnP devices is a Yamaha O3PL-SAx Audio Adapter, and in windows devices under sound, video and game controllers it has Ad Lib Compatible (OPL2); Closed caption decoder; NABTS/FEC VBI Codec; WaveTop (TM) NABTS/CC VBI Codec; Yamaha OPL3-SAx Gameport; and Yamaha OPL3-SAx WDM Driver. Thanks for all your help and I hope this information can help you.

hmm so it has a tv card as well....
    The Ready 9840 does not appear on the list of models, but there is a list of Ready with all the same model numbers... It appears they all use the same audio and video - so you can use those drivers.

Looks like the audio is the aztech with a yamaha chipset and an ATI all in wonder
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So where do I get these drivers and how do I install them. I know a little about computers (got A+ Certification in the hardware part, currently working on software.) I've never done much with drivers though. By the way the NEC 9840 is an actual NEC Ready Model. You can go to http://members.driverguide.com/index...dy%209840&sm=s and see for yourself. You'll have to sign up so its easier just to take my word for it. Plus it says "Model Number 9840" right on the bottom of the tower.

I am now very puzzled. Did you not click on the link I gave you for the nec drivers? Did you not follow my previous posts?

As to how you install them, that would depend on whether there was a setup.exe in the file download, or whether the file downloaded will launch the driver install or whether you have to use the driver update method because there is not setup.exe file.

Download the drivers from the nec site and let me know what files you end up with.

I downloaded the priority one drivers - they are the ati drivers shown on the nec site. The same ati drivers are available from ati as well. RageIIc drivers with the capture...