PCI card won't install with XP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PCI card won't install with XP

PCI card won't install with XP

I've just purchased and installed a generic combination USB 2.0/FireWire PCI card (using a ALI M5271 chip) on my home PC (Gateway with AMD Athlon 900 MHz processor, running WinXP). Problem is, although XP sees that new hardware has been installed, it can't find any drivers for it (neither the drivers on the CD-ROM nor the built-in XP drivers seem to work), even when I tell it *exactly* where to look. In Device Manager, I have a whole series of "PCI Device" listings with both yellow question marks and exclamation points; under Properties, it says, "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)"

Any help at all would be appreciated; I'm ready to throw the @&%#! card out the window.

Welcome to Windrivers sandge!

First off, in device manager, remove ALL thos pci devices, Then click scan for new hardware.

This problem may be due to the pci slot you are using.... or if you have not installed SP1 for xp.

Do you know what chipset the motherboard is for your Gateway?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers sandge!

First off, in device manager, remove ALL thos pci devices, Then click scan for new hardware.

This problem may be due to the pci slot you are using.... or if you have not installed SP1 for xp.

Do you know what chipset the motherboard is for your Gateway?
    I've removed the PCI devices and rescanned for new hardware - the same thing happens. XP says it "cannot find software." I do have SP1 installed.

As far as the chipset: according to Gateway, it is "AMD 750, consisting of the AMD 751 Irongate North bridge and the AMD 756 Viper South bridge."

Have you tried moving the card to a different slot, after after removing the driver in question if it is listed in Add/Remove and the various question marks and exclammation marks. Then try rebooting.
    Checked on updated driver for the card?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Have you tried moving the card to a different slot, after after removing the driver in question if it is listed in Add/Remove and the various question marks and exclammation marks. Then try rebooting.
    Checked on updated driver for the card?
    OK - I removed all the "pci device" listings in dev. mgr., removed the driver using add/remove programs, and physically moved the pci card to another slot. The exact same thing happens - XP finds the new hardware, but after running through the wizard, it tells me that the new hardware was not installed because it couldn't find the necessary software. In the dev. mgr., it now shows a Code 28 next to the problem devices.

The driver on the included CD-ROM is the same version available on the ALI website.

uninstall the software/drivers from add/remove programs.
    uninstall the device in device manager
    run the installation cd immediately afterwards.
    reboot

Anything?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

uninstall the software/drivers from add/remove programs.
    uninstall the device in device manager
    run the installation cd immediately afterwards.
    reboot

Anything?
    Unfortunately, no - XP still tells me it can't find the software.

Thing is you shouldn't need any software. XP should install a firewire card without any problems at all.

scroll down to ALI USB 2.0 v.1.52 Win All its a patch, should help!

Thing is you shouldn't need any software. XP should install a firewire card without any problems at all.

scroll down to <A href="ftp://ftp.aliusa.com/driver/AliEHCI_152.zip" target=_blank>ALI USB 2.0 v.1.52 Win All its a patch, should help!
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

Tried the patch; didn't change a thing.

Did you read through any of the pages at that link? Tons of ideas and troubleshooting tips!

Just joined...

OK, I had the same problem exactly. WinXP & Linux both crashed in the same place trying to recognize PCI devices...

Resolved: with Antec 550W TrueControl PSU. I just increased +5V rail up to +5.15V. All the problems went away...

TrueControl PSU is well expensive. I cannot recommend to everyone upgrade immediatly...

Any questions? Always ready to help, but I seldom visit forums. Use e-mail, please...

Exclamation bigger problem...

with the same card (ALI M5271), after I install and turn the computer on, after about 1 minute it freezes up. I don't even get to the point where it looks for hardware and/or software...

What could that be? My system is too old? too small? too slow? too ...

2aristopo

My opinion, Your system is just unlucky.

Seems Ali based PCI are to touchy with +5V power line.
    Check Your PSU +5V with multimeter....

Unhappy same problem...

Quote Originally Posted by sandge
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

Tried the patch; didn't change a thing.
    Did you manage to solve the problem? I had a different problem and tried a different computer. I ended up with exactly the same problem you had (error code 28).

So?

Quote Originally Posted by aristopo
    with the same card (ALI M5271), after I install and turn the computer on, after about 1 minute it freezes up. I don't even get to the point where it looks for hardware and/or software...

What could that be? My system is too old? too small? too slow? too ...

Welcome to Windrivers aristopo

It could be anything you mention, however without your system specifications no one can advise you. Please post your motherboard make and model, which windows and what windows updates you have installed.