Dell "Customer Care" and Thievery

Thread: Dell "Customer Care" and Thievery

Dell "Customer Care" and Thievery

WARNING: IF YOU LIKE BEING SCREWED, YOU'LL LOVE DELL.

I prepaid for two Dell computers by mailing a bank Official Check to Dell in Round Rock, TX. Just to be sure, I enclosed a copy of the order generated at the Dell kiosk in Countryside Mall, Clearwater, FL. I Fed-Ex'd the check and the order, plus an additional amount for over night delivery.

They received the order on 4/5/2004 and cashed the check on 4/8/2004. On the afternoon of 4/8/2004, I went back to the Dell kiosk in Countryside Mall to ask a fairly simple question, "When will my computer be delivered?".

The response was puzzling. The order was on hold in Order Processing in a "pending" status. "Pending what?", I asked. Wrong question. No answer.

I was given the 800 number for the laughingly mis-named "Customer Care". For those of you who have never had the joy of speaking to an Indian speaking a horrible and difficult to understand English, avoid the pain and don't buy a Dell computer.

These people obviously do not give a damn and also very obviously are not measured on how well they help customers. Their job seems to be to get you off the phone as quickly as possible, and pass you on to another Indian at a different 800 number.

Of course, nothing is entered onto the computer in your record, so each and every time you begin from the beginning. You are then usually told that this is the wrong place and the NEXT 800 number you get transferred to will help you. Eventually, you either get totally frustrated and hang up, or someone tells you that something will happen that never does.

I went back to the kiosk at Countryside Mall and demanded an answer. The folks there had the same 800 numbers that I had, and got blown off the exact same way. I asked if they had live chat or instant messaging to contact someone that might be able to do some good. No chance, this is Dell. E-mail and cell phones is as good as it gets. The Manager On Duty was e-mailed and e-mailed back that he had issued a trouble ticket and that they should check back Saturday afternoon.

I went back to the kiosk Saturday afternoon to find exactly nothing different. The MOD was e-mailed and he curtly wrote back to have them tell me that I'd be contacted in due time. I was infuriated and told the clerk to e-mail back and tell the almighty MOD that HIS time was up and that he and Dell could kiss my a** because I was cancelling the order and going down the street to CompUSA.

I received an 800 number to cancel my order. I called and was politely informed by the token Indian that, as usual, I called the wrong 800 number, but that she could connect me. The next Indian assured me that the order was cancelled and that I would receive my money back in 7 - 14 days.

Those of you who have made the mistake of doing business with Dell already know the result. On day 15, I called looking for my money. I called the 2nd 800 number in the order cancellation boogie and was informed that I needed to speak to someone else. Once again, I repeated the story and was assured that THIS time, the money would be sent in 24 - 48 hours. I was even given a tracking number. The Indians are really getting creative now. Nothing appears to be integrated in the Dell systems, so what good would you think a tracking number would be?

The answer is that it's worthless. Three days later I called and, of course, nobody knew anything and really could care less. Dell had over $3,000 of my money for two computers they never made or shipped and against a cancelled order.

We called again last Friday and were told that we needed to fax the front and back of the check to "Prepaid" at Dell. A very concerned gentleman assured my partner that the check would be immediately forthcoming once this was received.

In fact, since the fax wasn't received that day, he e-mailed her and said:
    "I am writing this to know whether you were able to fax the copy of cashed check to the prepaids ? Again please accept my sincere apology on behalf of dell.We are working on the issue to get it resolved as soon as possible.I really appreciate your cooperation with us in resolving the issue.

I will keep a track of the process & ensure this problem is solved.Awaiting for your reply.

Should you require any assistance, please contact me.We appreciate your business.

Thank You,
    Yours Sincerely,

Mohammed Abdullah (Adam)
    Dell Home Sales Customer Care
    Dell Inc.
    [email protected]"

That was then, this is now. She called this very day saying that the fax was sent Saturday and wanted to know the staus. Nobody knew the status, or if the fax of the check had been received. We were assured, however, that the reimbursement check would arrive in 24 to 48 hours. That seems to be the standard Dell lie when it comes to getting your own money returned.

We have e-mailed Mohammed Abdullah to see if he can tell us where our money is, but I'd guess he's a fired employee if Dell ever finds out that he actually tried to help resolve a problem.

What I think is really laughable is the success seminars featuring Michael Dell. What a way to run a business. Hire cheap Indians to waste your customers time. Solve no problems and then steal their money. Imagine how much interest they make holding on to customer refunds for months on end.

In summary, take some good advice, DON'T BUY A DELL COMPUTER!! Ask yourself why you should wait a week for delivery and then have a customer service nightmare, when you can go to any CompUSA, drive home with a computer and get excellent support right in the store.

If I ever get my money back from the thieves at Dell, I'll be sure to post here. In the meantime, I'm planning on seeing if the Texas Attorney General's Office has avoided becoming a wholly owned Dell subsidiary and filing a fraud complaint against this company.

Wow!!! Sorry to hear of your misery. This is how they are all doing, too. Prices have dropped so much they cut costs where?: Customer Service is where. To be honest, they support my business in just this way. I don't sell many pc's anymore due to the fact that I just can't compete with their prices, but what I do much better is worth the couple hundred dollars more: service. So, that is how I get customers.

Welcome to Windrivers lancelotfl.

I am not sure I have understood you correctly.... are you saying you dislike Dell ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

That has to be the worst case of phone tag I've ever heard about.

And expensive too.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Read the other post and you will see what others think of dell............THEY BLOW!!!!!!
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Thumbs down

Sadley, shows the true meaning behind " Easy as Dell" . Look at the bright side; if you ever get your refund, " Dude, your NOT getting a Dell !!!"
    there will be plenty of time to sleep after I'm dead....

Quote Originally Posted by QPAVL
    Sadley, shows the true meaning behind " Easy as Dell" . Look at the bright side; if you ever get your refund, " Dude, your NOT getting a Dell !!!"
    Since this was 7 months ago I hope he got his refund
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

I have never had any trouble with Dell. Our company buys lots of systems from them and always get them on time. When things go wrong they always replace the parts quickly of they are still in warranty.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    I have never had any trouble with Dell. Our company buys lots of systems from them and always get them on time. When things go wrong they always replace the parts quickly of they are still in warranty.
    We used to have the same track record with Dell - easy RMA's, great customer service, then it took a turn for the worse, and things are just as described above.......I spent 7 days and 17 email corrsepondences one time with Dell until I could finally convince them I had a bad flat panel. Another time, it took over 2 weeks to get a replacement floppy drive issued, and when it finally showed up, I was sent a floppy installation kit, instead of an actual floppy.

Once they actually ship the part, you get it next day, but fighting through the horrible broken english and plain lack of customer service can take days at a time, if not weeks. Eventually, this will hurt Dell's sales.

We're locked into them due to state funding, but we are fighting through the red tape right now to hopefully get approval to start going elsewhere. Maybe eventually enough people will do this that Dell will realize the MAJOR mistake they made by outsourcing everything to India, but I think it will be too late by then!

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Perhaps you could give us the details of who you talk to at Dell.... I have point blank refused now to quote our customers for Dell kit, my boss still does.

I've had nothing but problems with them, their refusal to send out a part when it quite clearly is the part that is at fault, their lack of English, more infuriating is the fact you have to pay for the call!!

Last few times I've had to call, its taken over 45 minutes to talk to and to get the guy to understand the problem, then you get the standard run the restore CD.... errrr network card is duff I have an error code from the Utility tests (on startup) that I've run (which he didn't know about?), what good will restoring an operating system do? Most amusing thing is every other question he "had to check with his manager" so I'm on hold for 5 minutes when this happens....

Worse thing is when you call back you have to go back through the same procedure as its too much for them to log a service call against a tag number?

They upset me, is the only polite way I can put it. We now have a problem replacing CMOS batteries which keep failing on the last two orders of over 50 PC's... are Dell interested? What do you think? Then there was the time the rather 'polite' Indian woman told me that my postcode was not valid and could I go and check.... errrr go where and check what? The postcode at work has been around for 20 years! Then she lost the 'ticket' information and I had to start the process all over again, with the SAME contact!

"Easy as Dell? Yeah like Hell"
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Ho ho. Sounds like life in France ALL the time.

Service? What the **** is that over here?

I am still waiting for a call back that I was promised on an urgent matter from a cable company. I called them 6 days ago!

You have Dell, France has a whole country of useless twats.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Ho ho. Sounds like life in France ALL the time.

Service? What the **** is that over here?

I am still waiting for a call back that I was promised on an urgent matter from a cable company. I called them 6 days ago!

You have Dell, France has a whole country of useless twats.

emr
    Thanks for the big smile on my face right now! That's the funniest thing I've read in a week!
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

Once, a couple of years ago, I was driving down the street and happened to stop by a lad driving a then brand new Hyundai car. It looked nice and looked in good condition except for 1 thing : the sides of the car had been spray painted by the owner with the words : "NEVER BUY A HUYNDAI".

What struck me with that was he was willing to deface his car to make a point. As someone who uses dell's at work (not by my choice) if I could I would spray paint "NEVER BUY A DELL" on my pc and parade it around town.

'Nuff Said.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    .............Last year I was on my way to the market to sell our dairy cow and some bloke offered me a bag of magic beans, so like you do you snap a deal up like that dont you. Any how her indoors called me a C*** and wazzed them out the window onto the compost. Well F*** me sideways with a tentpeg the next morning guess what was outside the window yep you guessed it #### all they werent magic after all so please learn from my story as i dont want anyone else getting ripped off. Remember an Dell computer that is sat in the back of a van is not for christmas
    Huh. I enjoyed gtiseb's story. Your comments tho made me feel like a large slightly scary bug was buzzing around my head and needed swatting.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    .............Last year
    Is your comma key broken?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||