Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers

Hybrid View

Angry Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers

I have an HP Pavillion 772n. Recently I had to get a new hard drive. I do not have the bundled software or the system recovery disk from HP. I installed Windows XP Pro on it. I now have two conflicts in the device manager. I am missing the Multimedia Audio Controller and the SM Bus Controller. Obviously I have no sound. I have been searching everywhere for the drivers. The chipset on my computer is Intel 845e. I believe that the motherboard is a Micro-Star MS-6579. The sound card is on board. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Munky_Head

So welcome to windrivers Munky_Head .. the answer to your problem looks fairly straight forward - lack of chipset driver patch !

When windows got written it has native support for various 'stuff' (chipsets are the 'inards of your beastie' & refer to contoller chips & other technical 'whotnots' - these get added to/corrected by chipset patches) - Driver updates identified at HP - cuuningly what I thought would be there, isn't !

So try this Intel page here - but now I went & got myself confus-ed with the conflicting info .. - looking at MSIs site says its an nForce2 chipset See this link - I hate HP ! grrr

I think its an nforce chipset having looked a bit more & with your symptoms, so I'd try that first .. both patches should say whether they are 'appropriate' or not, but I do wish HP would sort out there site .. [shakes head 'muchly']

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I am desparately trying to get my sound back on. I downloaded the zip file at the MSI link you posted. When I extract all the files to a folder and try the setup.exe file, it brings up the standard installshield screen and says please wait while installshield prepares to install this program, and then nothing ever happens. I have tried downloading the file a few times and always get the same result. Any suggestions?

Oh you are welcome to any help I can give .. you got a fast reply as you caught me online !

I think the download then is probably ok, but maybe some version conflict has it confus-ed - you can try the 'one size fits all one' over at Nvidia's download section Here (fill in the boxes - stupid .asp page so no direct link,{platform/ nforce drivers, unified drivers, pick your o/s & a note of what it might be for us too please !}) - that should be a more up-to-date version there than you'd have found at msi anyway ..

Having gone through all that I'm still not certain what chipset we/you have ! So bethinking himself he says go get yourself Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (version 6.1) (& I'll put the words discover, chipset, & find, so I might be able to find that suggestion myself again with search on this site, should I forget what the hell its called again & spend 10 minutes re-finding it !) post what it reports {take out any s/w keys !} that'll diagnose your 'inards' I hope, so I know who's telling the truth about what chipset ! - btw did you try the intel driver ? (if its not right as I said- if you can get it to run it should say whether or not it was the 'right' one !).

Once the chipset identifies everything right, then the sound driver will either get found by windows or we can give it one, but there's no point just yet until we are more sure than I am about just what chipset ..

One of those 'if it was in front of me ones' - apologies if this all seems very hard work !

I downloaded the Belarc advisor, and here is what is listed under system model:

HP Pavilion 04 P8566A-ABA 772N 44000TG101ARGON

I am not sure if that is any help or not. I can tell you that I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1, and this program verifies that my mother board is a Micro Star MS-6579. The rest of the information shown talks about processor speed, hard drive status and capacities and local drive information. If you need any of that info, please let me know. I have not downloaded anything from the Intel website, because I am not sure exactly what to download. HP.com says that my chipset is 845e, but gives no further information. From what I have seen on Intel.com, there is no plain 845e, but different variations. I did download the drivers you linked at Nvidea, but to no avail. The same thing is happening, the program does not execute. I am not sure what type of sound card is actually on the mother board. I can tell you that the computer originally had an Nvidea Geforce graphics card which I replaced with an ATI Radeon 9600XT, but that should have nothing to do with the sound. I have looked all over the chips and the motherboard for any other identification. The metal box that the speakers actually plug into from the back of the computer has the name Foxconn stamped on it. But I am assuming that is just a component. There is one more chip that has the following written on it:

Intel
    FW82801DB
    L2150060
    SL66K
    Intel '01
    MALAY

But that means nothing to me. Again, I really appreciate your help on this matter, and let me know if I can get you any more information.

Thanks!

Munky_Head

ok the smbus controller is part of the intel inf utility available here

the sound driver is available here. you want the ADI188x sound I believe.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Same thing here but with emachine

i have the same promblem as monkey but i have an emachine t3065, my borther was dling a bunch of stuff bf and it started to work again but he reinstalled xp and not the recovery disk if ne one can help me it will be much appreciated

Welcome to Windrivers pinkfloydrules

here is a great site for emachines information and drivers.

here are the drivers for your emachine
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Problem

Alright...it's crazy that so many poeple are having this problem. I have the remnants of what used to be an HP Pavilion mx70. It's my grandparents computer and before I arrived they had some problems and...it looks to me like someone charged them to take out the old board and put it in a new box. The audio is built into the board and I did try the steps suggested to the other HP owner but when I got to the end of the install for the ADI 188x well it told me that "the drivers weren't found" and that I should reboot and try again..so I did...and got the same message. Any help?

Welcome to Windrivers searching

I think you should confirm that the motherboard in the machine is the original motherboard or not. this should tell you and its free.

Post what it finds under chipset, system, mainboard and bios please.

Registered User I-Hate-Computers's Avatar

Unhappy

I suck at everything. I'm bald, short, fat, and haven't been layed in over a year now. Please Help me.

Registered User I-Hate-Computers's Avatar

Unhappy

I tried the Sound driver you said from that website, as a matter of fact, i tried all the drivers from that website. I hate my life.
    I have an HP Pavilion 772n and thats all i know about it. If i have too, i wil download every driver on every website till i know which one works.

Please help me. I'm short, fat, bald, and worse yet, I havent been layed in over a year now. And that wasn't a pleasent site either.

K a little exagerated on the pitty side, but still. I have tried it all and i need help. please reply.
    Mountain Dew Will One Day Take The World Over. Twice.

Im having the very same problem as the first thread here had, i cant install the same SM Bus controller, and sound drivers as its on board. Its a HP pavillion 453.uk

Belarc Details

Sytem Model -
    HP Pavilion 05 DA149A-ABU 453 3030211RE101TANGO

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: Hewlett-Packard HP System Board HP P/N

Can anyone help me out at all?

Quote Originally Posted by metz
    Im having the very same problem as the first thread here had, i cant install the same SM Bus controller, and sound drivers as its on board. Its a HP pavillion 453.uk

Belarc Details

Sytem Model -
    HP Pavilion 05 DA149A-ABU 453 3030211RE101TANGO

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: Hewlett-Packard HP System Board HP P/N

Can anyone help me out at all?
    Welcome to WD metz .

Did you try any of the links given and looked for your model ?
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Thumbs up HP Pavilion 772n audio driver

I have the HP Pivilion 772n and lost the HD in it so I lost the recovery and could not get the audio to work. I contacted HP support and they gave me the link to a site who had it, and IT WORKED. Here is what they gave me...
    ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_403.exe if you cut & paste this address into your address bar it will download the (updated) driver you need.

Jerry A.