Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers

Angry Missing Multimedia Audio and SM Bus Controllers

I have an HP Pavillion 772n. Recently I had to get a new hard drive. I do not have the bundled software or the system recovery disk from HP. I installed Windows XP Pro on it. I now have two conflicts in the device manager. I am missing the Multimedia Audio Controller and the SM Bus Controller. Obviously I have no sound. I have been searching everywhere for the drivers. The chipset on my computer is Intel 845e. I believe that the motherboard is a Micro-Star MS-6579. The sound card is on board. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Munky_Head

So welcome to windrivers Munky_Head .. the answer to your problem looks fairly straight forward - lack of chipset driver patch !

When windows got written it has native support for various 'stuff' (chipsets are the 'inards of your beastie' & refer to contoller chips & other technical 'whotnots' - these get added to/corrected by chipset patches) - Driver updates identified at HP - cuuningly what I thought would be there, isn't !

So try this Intel page here - but now I went & got myself confus-ed with the conflicting info .. - looking at MSIs site says its an nForce2 chipset See this link - I hate HP ! grrr

I think its an nforce chipset having looked a bit more & with your symptoms, so I'd try that first .. both patches should say whether they are 'appropriate' or not, but I do wish HP would sort out there site .. [shakes head 'muchly']

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I am desparately trying to get my sound back on. I downloaded the zip file at the MSI link you posted. When I extract all the files to a folder and try the setup.exe file, it brings up the standard installshield screen and says please wait while installshield prepares to install this program, and then nothing ever happens. I have tried downloading the file a few times and always get the same result. Any suggestions?

Oh you are welcome to any help I can give .. you got a fast reply as you caught me online !

I think the download then is probably ok, but maybe some version conflict has it confus-ed - you can try the 'one size fits all one' over at Nvidia's download section Here (fill in the boxes - stupid .asp page so no direct link,{platform/ nforce drivers, unified drivers, pick your o/s & a note of what it might be for us too please !}) - that should be a more up-to-date version there than you'd have found at msi anyway ..

Having gone through all that I'm still not certain what chipset we/you have ! So bethinking himself he says go get yourself Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (version 6.1) (& I'll put the words discover, chipset, & find, so I might be able to find that suggestion myself again with search on this site, should I forget what the hell its called again & spend 10 minutes re-finding it !) post what it reports {take out any s/w keys !} that'll diagnose your 'inards' I hope, so I know who's telling the truth about what chipset ! - btw did you try the intel driver ? (if its not right as I said- if you can get it to run it should say whether or not it was the 'right' one !).

Once the chipset identifies everything right, then the sound driver will either get found by windows or we can give it one, but there's no point just yet until we are more sure than I am about just what chipset ..

One of those 'if it was in front of me ones' - apologies if this all seems very hard work !

I downloaded the Belarc advisor, and here is what is listed under system model:

HP Pavilion 04 P8566A-ABA 772N 44000TG101ARGON

I am not sure if that is any help or not. I can tell you that I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1, and this program verifies that my mother board is a Micro Star MS-6579. The rest of the information shown talks about processor speed, hard drive status and capacities and local drive information. If you need any of that info, please let me know. I have not downloaded anything from the Intel website, because I am not sure exactly what to download. HP.com says that my chipset is 845e, but gives no further information. From what I have seen on Intel.com, there is no plain 845e, but different variations. I did download the drivers you linked at Nvidea, but to no avail. The same thing is happening, the program does not execute. I am not sure what type of sound card is actually on the mother board. I can tell you that the computer originally had an Nvidea Geforce graphics card which I replaced with an ATI Radeon 9600XT, but that should have nothing to do with the sound. I have looked all over the chips and the motherboard for any other identification. The metal box that the speakers actually plug into from the back of the computer has the name Foxconn stamped on it. But I am assuming that is just a component. There is one more chip that has the following written on it:

Intel
    FW82801DB
    L2150060
    SL66K
    Intel '01
    MALAY

But that means nothing to me. Again, I really appreciate your help on this matter, and let me know if I can get you any more information.

Thanks!

Munky_Head

ok the smbus controller is part of the intel inf utility available here

the sound driver is available here. you want the ADI188x sound I believe.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo

Ah-ha ! The cavalry has responded to my request & come to sort out my confus-ed-ness caused by all this conflicting info - ta ! ..

Everything is fixed. Thank you both VERY much for the help. There is one more thing I am wondering if you guys can help me with. I have an HP One Touch Internet Keyboard. This is the keyboard that came with the machine, and it has all the programable buttons plus volume and mute. None of these buttons work. Do you know where I may be able to find the driver or software I need? I tried the update at HP.com under Pavillion 772n, but it did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for your time!!!!!

Munky_Head

Hi,

I am having a very similar problem, once again with HP Pavilion a450y. I followed this thread and got the INF utility from the Intel website.

However, I am still unable to get the Multimedia Audio Controller and the driver for Video Controller. The information from running the Belarc Advisor produces the following:
    HP Pavilion 061 D7222M-ABA A450Y 03p1211RE101OXFOR00

Any ideas as to how I can search for the driver for my mother board audio controller?

Also, when I try to turn-off the computer, the Stand-By option is grayed out. Does anyone know what controls this option?

Thanks very much for your help. Kind regards,

Vijay

Quote Originally Posted by Munky_Head
    Everything is fixed. Thank you both VERY much for the help. There is one more thing I am wondering if you guys can help me with. I have an HP One Touch Internet Keyboard. This is the keyboard that came with the machine, and it has all the programable buttons plus volume and mute. None of these buttons work. Do you know where I may be able to find the driver or software I need? I tried the update at HP.com under Pavillion 772n, but it did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for your time!!!!!

Munky_Head
    Sorry for the long wait Munky - I suggest you take this advice here selecting drivers, then try the patch again for the keyboard.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by vjsitaram
    Hi,

I am having a very similar problem, once again with HP Pavilion a450y. I followed this thread and got the INF utility from the Intel website.

However, I am still unable to get the Multimedia Audio Controller and the driver for Video Controller. The information from running the Belarc Advisor produces the following:
    HP Pavilion 061 D7222M-ABA A450Y 03p1211RE101OXFOR00

Any ideas as to how I can search for the driver for my mother board audio controller?

Also, when I try to turn-off the computer, the Stand-By option is grayed out. Does anyone know what controls this option?

Thanks very much for your help. Kind regards,

Vijay
    Welcome to Windrivers vjsitaram

the original driver for your sound is here

As for your standby greyed out, this is probably because XP thinks your computer cannot handle it. there are two bios updates here but they are for VERY different boards. Using the wrong one will result in a toasted pavilion. From the belarc advisor, does it give the motherboard model?

So before you get carried away & start flashing bios (especially as we aren't certain just what bios you need!) ..

Quote Originally Posted by vjsitaram
    ..this is probably because XP thinks your computer cannot handle it ..
    What controls this is both XP itself & settings in bios that XP unlike 9x can read & act upon (which is of course why Noo is suggesting a bios upgrade - as many times everything isn't just 'quite so') - you need to check the 'apm' (advanced power management) setting-wants to be off ..

Then we get to ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) which does similar to apm but also IRQ allocation etc & is responsible for device 'sharing' - this setting is either on or off & generally for xp is should be on - BUT don't change it without asking as XP will 'break' as its responsible for an awful lot of 'way down deep stuff' - just tell us whether its on or off ..

The point of all this is that for everything to work 'spot on' you need a bios that carries the words 'designed for xp' & since these machines shipped originally with 98 SE on them (or thats what google has me believing) then you might not well find a completely compliant bios anyway & have to put up with 'no standby'

Quote Originally Posted by Munky_Head

Munky_Head
    Hi Munky_Head,

I'm having the exact same problem that you described. I followed the link to the MSI onboard sound page and tried to install the ADI188x drivers but they didn't work. Are these the drivers you used? If not could you tell me which did work for you. Thanks!

Same thing here but with emachine

i have the same promblem as monkey but i have an emachine t3065, my borther was dling a bunch of stuff bf and it started to work again but he reinstalled xp and not the recovery disk if ne one can help me it will be much appreciated

Welcome to Windrivers pinkfloydrules

here is a great site for emachines information and drivers.

here are the drivers for your emachine