SBS 2003 / Exchange Migration Advise

Thread: SBS 2003 / Exchange Migration Advise

SBS 2003 / Exchange Migration Advise

Dear all,

This is my first post. I am currently working on a Linux/Sendmail to Exchange 2003 SBS migration project and wish to get help from users who have more Exchange Server experience. Thanks in advance.

My network is pretty small - around 25 clients running p2p mode, currently using POP3/SMTP provided by a Cobalt Cube machine (all-in-one applience) that runs Linux. I ordered Windows 2003 SBS which come with Exchange 2003, but due to my lack of up-to-date knowledge on Exchange Server 2003 my project was delay.

I am seeking for advise on following topic and thanks for any reply.

1. On my lab test, after join domain, reboot, a workgroup PC take very long time to get to the logon prompt, I don't know why yet.

2. On the test client machine (Win2k+OutlookXP), after joining domain, I try to configure Outlook to connect to Exchange server, and keep getting "The name could not be resolved, The name could not be matched to a name in the address list" thus failed.

3. I wonder what would be the best way to enable migration while keep the production email unaffected. My ISP is willing to setup multiple MX record to allow Exchange as primary and Cobalt as secondary, but I wonder if there is anything in Exchange Server needs to be configured to prevent email lost.

Being new to Exchange 2003 I am behind the server migration schedule.

Thanks so much for any help. Please forgive my English (typo) as its not my primary language.

ttxn

Quote Originally Posted by ttxn
    Dear all,

This is my first post. I am currently working on a Linux/Sendmail to Exchange 2003 SBS migration project and wish to get help from users who have more Exchange Server experience. Thanks in advance.

My network is pretty small - around 25 clients running p2p mode, currently using POP3/SMTP provided by a Cobalt Cube machine (all-in-one applience) that runs Linux. I ordered Windows 2003 SBS which come with Exchange 2003, but due to my lack of up-to-date knowledge on Exchange Server 2003 my project was delay.

1. On my lab test, after join domain, reboot, a workgroup PC take very long time to get to the logon prompt, I don't know why yet.

2. On the test client machine (Win2k+OutlookXP), after joining domain, I try to configure Outlook to connect to Exchange server, and keep getting "The name could not be resolved, The name could not be matched to a name in the address list" thus failed.

3. I wonder what would be the best way to enable migration while keep the production email unaffected. My ISP is willing to setup multiple MX record to allow Exchange as primary and Cobalt as secondary, but I wonder if there is anything in Exchange Server needs to be configured to prevent email lost.

Thanks so much for any help. Please forgive my English (typo) as its not my primary language.

ttxn

Setup exchange to forward un resolved mail to the old mail server...this is what I did...
    Do the server migration first!!! - - Less problems
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Quote Originally Posted by ttxn
    Dear all,

ttxn
    I just completed and manage an Exchange domain of about 250 users.

For the slow login: has the workstation joined the domain? I would setup DNS (if you don't have it already) on the server and make sure that entry is in the workstations IP configuration. That should help with the logon process. (You can add IP forwarders into the DNS table to make sure they can still get out to the internet.)

Laser answered the issue about the email routing. I had to put the IP of our ISP host to get some of those stuck emails out.

In an Active Directory environment, you can move mailboxes individually. So you can bring the Exchange box online in parallel with what you have and make the move gradual until you get the feel for it. I'm not familiar with Cobalt, so I'm nut much help there.

I'd also REALLY recommend going out and just buying an Exhange 2003 admin guide. VERY handy. Microsoft also has a migration guide posted on their site. I don't have the link handy but I can email it to you if you're interested. PM me for it.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Thank you very much for both your reply. Here is the update of my previous questions, after playing for about a few hours.

Q1. Slow after join domain - don't get chance to test with another machine. The client PC don't have DNS setting points to Exch.Svr which is DNS server, I will try add such entry before join domain.

Q2. Problem solved. On Exchange Server, POP3 Connector Manager, wrong settings on Exchange mailbox for the user.

Q3. I do need your help to explain a little bit on how to set Exchange to forward unresolved email to the old mail server, so I can have both mail server running catching emails. I just received the book Exchange Server 2003 Admin Companign and am reading it.

My network looks like this (seudo IP addresses)

T-1 : 200.200.200.49
    Current Production Server:Cobalt (ouside = 200.200.200.50; inside = 10.6.18.x)
    New Network:
    Cisco PIX outside = 200.200.200.55; inside = 192.168.0.x)
    Exchange Server (SBS2k3) = 192.168.0.2

I use one PC to test Exchange Server it works but the PC was not able to send/receive email by talk to Cobalt, got error: "The specify server was found but no respond, please verify that the port and SSL information is correct)

Could it be I misconfigure the PIX?

Thanks a lot!

ttxn

To forward unresolved addresses somewhere else try this:

Exchange System Manager - Admin Groups - Domain - Servers - Servername - Protocols - SMTP - Default SMTP Server

Right click over that and select properties.
    Messages Tab.
    At the bottom of that window, "forward all mail with unresolved..."
    Enter the server name or IP of the other email server.

Do you have the firewall in-between the two email servers? I'm not much of a firewall/router guy.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

thank you drewmaztech, I found this one and add the FQDN name of my production server. But I am wondering what "unresolved" really mean. In my case, lets say the Exchange Server has 20 user account there, only 5 of them were being migrated, will emails be delivered "successful" for 15 users in ExchSVR? if so then I don't want it happen since I need more time to pull PCs from old network to join domain.

For the firewall, yes, I add a Cisco PIX to the new network (diagram below) as I am new to PIX that make it more difficult, but I order books to study now.

Here is a network diagram: (i am webadmin of my church so I borrow the space to put this pic)
    http://www.cccfc.org/misc/01.jpg

Today I sent out an email to ask a couple networking friends to help me so I post here and make my question more clear ....

I have the Exchange Server/SBS 2003 up and working (DC1). I add a few accounts and use a PC to test, internal email runs well.

My ISP host my DNS, they have an MX record route all mails to my Cobalt server, for 3 years. Now they suggest me to let them add another MX record - DC1, to become primary, use SVR1 as the secondary mail record. They said it should be smooth.

However, I have to migrate PCs one by one, (join domain stuff, etc.) So on my test PC, other than the Exchange account on Outlook, I setup another POP3 account to get eMail from SVR1, but it could not send/receive email through, I don't know what problem is (maybe to do with PIX firewall) error attached.

http://www.cccfc.org/misc/02.jpg

If the test PC in new network works (to get both email from Exchange and POP3 from SVR1), then my only question left is, would that be possible to keep both email server up to serve two group of PCs, until I move all PCs to new network? and How

Thanks for your input and your time.....

I am looking forward to the solution that allow me to have plenty of times to migrage workstations from existing network to new network while provide uninterrupt eMail connectivity, while my ISP guy said its completely doable, I can't get help from them doing my network project. So I am looking for Network guys everywhere to discuss.....
    Last edited by ttxn; May 14th, 2004 at 03:26 PM.