[RESOLVED] Installin 3com 509B & 590c

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installin 3com 509B & 590c

sly69

Post Installin 3com 509B & 590c

Need help to get home net work up and running, I have 1 3com 3c509b witch is an isa card, and 1 3c590c witch is a PCI. The problem is I have no idea what to do after the cards are installed in the machines. I want to use the isa card as the master/server, and the PCI as slave/client.

This needs to be explained to me as if I where a 6 year old...LOL. if you know of a site or any resource that can help me get this up and running, let me know PLEASE...

OH, using just a cross over cable no Hub..

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

godofuq

First, it depends on the OS you are using. If you are using Win9x or ME you are only going to be able to do peer to peer. If you have nt or 2k you will be able to do client/server but I still recommend doing peer/peer if this is just going to be a simple home network for ease of setup. First, after the drivers for the cards are installed go to Start > Control Panel > Network. This will bring up the network properties tab. Once you are here, there will be a few things to do. First, make sure there is a client installed such as Client for MS networks or MS Family logon. If one or both of these are not in there, click add > client > microsoft and then add the clients. Next, make sure TCP/IP is installed in the list. It should should bindings to both your NIC card and your Dial Up Adapter. If it is not installed, click Add > Protocol > TCP/IP. The bindings will be done on their own so you don't have to worry about configuring that. Then, click the File And Print Sharing button. Click both check boxes stating you want to share both files and your printer and click okay. Now, go to the identification tab. In here, there will be a box for a workstation name. Name it whatever you want just be sure that on both computers, you name it the same thing as this will be the only thing that allows both your computers to see each other. Now one last thing to do to make life much easier on yourself, if you are on a Win9x/me computer, go back to the configuration tab, find File and Print Sharing in the list at the bottom, highlight it and click properties. There will be an option here labeled "Browse Master" and it should be set to automatic by default. On one of your computers, change this to enabled and on the other change it to disabled. Remember, you can only have one browse master on the network. This will make your computers show up instantly in your network neighborhood when you start your computer. Now click okay, it will ask for your Windows disc and will install everything and ask to restart. Once you restart, do your other computer the same way and you should be up and running.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

-Aplustech

sly69

Ok got them installed with just one change insted of using the ISA 3com, ended up using a Intel pro 10/100, as peer1 and 3com 590-tpo as *****. Now they can see them selfs but not the other, the intel does not see the workgroup, but the 3com does.. The crossover cable (cat5) checks-out good. Both cards are config.
    • Intel pro
    • Adapter address 00-D0-B7-55-2E-64
    • IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.246.242
    • Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    • DHCP Server 255.255.255.255
    • 3Com
    • Adapter address 00-20-AF-D0-83-70
    • IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.239.183
    • Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    • DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

The Node Type Is Broadcast for both card, <font size=3> What am I missing here..</font>

Oh and file shareing is enabled..

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

[This message has been edited by sly69 (edited September 24, 2001).]

sly69

Talking

<font size=5>Happy Day</font> got it going.

The main thing was my Firewall, had to be config for the two NIC's Than it all fell into place. There were some other things but right now they are fuzzie to me (2 cases later). Thanks for the input and ideas..

Sly....rofl

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"