Windows won't reboot after Norton Ghost - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Windows won't reboot after Norton Ghost

I also use ghost -fni
    Disables direct IDE access support for IDE hard disk operations. Which seems to work great for IDE to sata or sata to sata ghosting.

Quote Originally Posted by KAIANA View Post
    When you use Ghost in this manner it creates a virtual partition and sets the vPartition as the bootable drive. Download a tool called Ranish. http://www.ranish.com/part/ Download the Partition Manager 2.37. create a diskette and run the disk at bootup.

I had Ranish 2.4.0 on an "ultimate boot cd" I had burnt. Believe me, I had tried every trick on Symantec KB, been to countless forums and got no luck.

Your Ranish tip did it for me-many many thanks mate.

Just to confirm the easiest solution on thie thread , by Brandon. I have a ATA and SATA drives on my Dell SC400 with winXP OS. On an attempt to copy the C drive to a new drive, I too got into the constant boot to PC dos and unable to recover by selecting the return to windows option or any of the tools. Ghdisk also hangs.
    Anyway, disconnecting the SATA drive, and rebooting caused it to proceed. In my case I didn't want to take chances with my data today, so I was simply happy when the option to Cancel and return to Windows let it complete and return me to the beautiful Loading Windows XP screen.

BTW, at work they have the latest version of Ghost, I think its 11 or so, that works well even with Win 7 / Win Server 2008 R2. Its time to dump Ghost 2003.

Bootup problems with Ghost

"On my computer, Ghost 2003 have problem with the IDE controller (SATA drives).
    If your computer freezes before Ghost can completly load up then try this:
    To Run Ghost.exe - Boot up to DOS (not Windows) and type "Ghost.exe /noide" in Ghost directory. (/noide disable the ide controller)"

This command isn't working for me. I put it Ghost.exe/ noide (/noide disable the ide controller)

I tried a few different variations of that. How are you actually typing this?
    Thanks.

The space would go before the slash, not after:

ghost.exe /noide

You also apparently need to be in the Ghost directory before typing that command. So try:

cd \ghost
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Cool Saved My Bacon

Jim Jones,

Thanks for the Win98 start up disk recommendation. It worked and bailed me out of a gery sticky situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
    I found this thread searching for a solution to this problem. On an XP system with all SATA drives and one USB be external drive, I tried to use Ghost 2003 to backup a the USB drive to a GHO file set. When the system booted into ghost it hung up on an IoMega driver.

Rebooting brought back to PC dos only to hang up again. The Ghreboot utility hung as well.

Final solution was to boot a Win98 startup floppy disk and use Fdisk to set the NTFS partition containing windows to active (thus deactvating the the Ghost partition). Then XP starting booting again as it was supposed to.

While this solution seems so nice and elegant, it took me a full day to arrive at it, so I help this suggestion can save some one else save some time.

As handy as Ghost 2003 is, it looks like it is showing it's age. To bad it is effectively discontinued.

Thanx for the prior posting help, It did lead me in the right direction.

Jim Jones