usb drive doesn't show in my computer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: usb drive doesn't show in my computer

usb drive doesn't show in my computer

i tried to copy one file from usb and the program was not responding so i thought it would be better to shut computer down and started again . then when i plugged usb it showed in toolbar but when i opened my computer there was no usb e: drive . i tried to search file in usb through search in my computer option but it didn't show
    then i tried controlpanel/ administration/ performance and maintenance and when i did open files it showed usb generic volume e: there
    no problem with usb disk so what's the problem? please someone help me out............

Welcome to Windrivers abraham.

You have a half stuck half enumerated usb device. The quickest way to get this sorted is to boot to safe mode, physically remove ALL usb devices, then go to device manager and remove/uninstall (depending on the os) the usb hubs and controllers.

Reboot to normal mode. The usb controllers and hubs will redetect DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR USB STICK OR ANY OTHER USB DEVICE YET. Shut down and restart. When the pc has go completely to desktop, no egg timer showing on the mouse pointer, then plug in one usb device, allow it to find it and test it. Then plug in another one if you have more than one usb device to install.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Unhappy meee tttoooo!

Hi guys, interesting I am experiencing a similar problem,

I suddenly received a message when I booted up my PC saying 'USB device not recognised. try re-installing device' even though my setup was untouched since the day before!!!

tried wat you guys suggested and what i have read elsewhere but have not solved the problem.

I run XP pro ..with ASUS A7N8X-E delux motherboard (installed a month ago!) with AMD ATHLON CPU.

I have been running on the latest drivers so it shouldn't be that?

(tried to post some screen shots but the 'manage attachments' section doesn't work)

cheers

So welcome to windrivers Gerbil running around in that little wheel getting you down huh ?

You can't post attachments here, you need to get some free web-space to host what you can't cut & paste ..

I think you are right - 'stuff' doesn't suddenly stop working, so we now have to play at the 'what did you change game' or play the 'it should work like this game' - which do you want ?

Either way we want to know if Winows update is on or off & whether you know what the hell chipset patches are ? & in particular have you applied any nforce 2 chipset patches or not ?

was the disk working in the past or is it a new one?

i run into trouble installing a new usb disk, that seem install properly but wasnt showing in "my computer" until i found out that it as nothing to do with drivers or things like that, the drive just didnt have any partition on it :-|

ok.. here goes..

First I appreciate you guys' help. Without writing an essay let me try and give some tech specs.

Product Type : Motherboard
    Model Name : A7N8X-E Deluxe
    MB version : 2.X
    MB BIOS version : 1008
    CPU Vendor : AMD Athlon
    CPU Type : SOCKET A
    CPU Speed : 133MHZ
    Memory Type : DDR RAM (DUAL)
    Memory Size : 1GB

Operating System : WINDOWS XP Pro SP1

[Problem Description]
    USB SOCKETS DO NOT RECOGNISE ANY USB DEVICES THAT I CONNECT.

I turn on my PC and that little USB symbol pops up in the bottom right corner of the icon bar with a bubble saying 'USB Device not recognized - etc'.
    Now, I have gone in to my device manager and tried uninstalling / reinstalling the USB controllers: as standard I have the following USB controllers
    - Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (x2)
    - Unknown Device (x6)
    - USB Root Hub (x3)

(I am presuming that maybe there is a fault with the MotherBoard and has lost communication with its USB ports. the Ethernet RJ45 and FireWire ports work fine!?) but maybe I'm missing something obvious, yes, I have contacted ASUS the Motherboard manufacturer.

In answer to the questions, No, I did not change a thing. Yes, AutoUpdate is On. No, What the hell is a chip set patch? No, I have not Knowingly applied any nForce2 chipset patches! and Yes, the wheel is getting me down!

Since I changed nothing (knowingly) we should play the 'it should work like this game' !! :-)

Questions to you what should my USB BIOS settings read?
    Is this a common Problem with this motherboard? or nforce2?

thanks in advance

the gerb.

You're problem is this
    Unknown Device (x6)
    Forceware (chipset drivers) listed here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    You're problem is this Forceware (chipset drivers) listed here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
    Thank you trip .. saved me a google ! - I'll add a little 'explain' to say why ..

Those be chipset patches !

When windows (whatever version) ships it knows about (has drivers for) lots & lots of different bits of computer kit (more recent=longer list), one of things it has to know about is Chipsets, (so that's not twin deep fried potato strips !) but its the 'inards' of a motherboard (the technical name for the controller chips present on that board, different combos make different ChipSets), without this info 'just so' windows is struggling to work correctly & access other devices properly.. (just like it seems to be here !)

So for each design of motherboard there's a chipset patch to identify it correctly to windoze, this is made by the designer so Intel, VIA, Nvidia, SiS etc, not the manufacturer of the board itself, but they will have a copy on their websites mostly.

Question Hmmm.. Puzzled!?

Ok guys great advice and I hadn't really thought of that... but sadly it hasn't solved the problem!

I was hoping ASUS would reply by now but they haven't. So I'm not sure if my motherboard is faulty, which would make all your great suggestions fruitless!

So my drivers are up to date, Chipset drivers are up to date, I have tried my USB devices on other computers and they work fine!
    Also I still receive the same error messages as detailed in my last post!?

Anyone up for a challenge to help me figure this out?

I'm Thinking it's still kinda weird, my motherboard USB ports shouldn't die just overnite without anything else being affected.... my Firewire and Ethernet connections work fine!

It might be something in my BIOS!??

Thank you!

Mmm you keep sounding to me that maybe you think something has changed in bios for your usb - any reason ? In bios what options can you find for usb ? Post 'em up if you are unsure. Generally you have enable/disable per port & that's your lot. Sometimes a device driver change can force them onto IRQs they don't like, and sometimes that means turning off unrequired items in their 'way' say like a parallel port, or com port you mightn't use, which can help.(With windows autoupdate on this is possible).

& have you checked the headers (the bit from the outside port to the board - maybe a silver box) all intact & inplace, & also check the boards surface & components near by, I don't have one of them to look at to tell you just where, but there'll be chips & whatnot associated with it nearby the header which can short, worth a look.

Question Bios details

Primary VGA BIOS: AGP VGA CARD
    USB Controllers: V1.1 + 2.0
    USB Keyboard + Legacy Port: Enabled
    USB Legacy Mouse Port: Enabled

(what exactly is a Legacy Port?)
    (even though I use PS/2 Mouse + Keyboard?)

Onboard AC97 Audio Controller: Disabled
    Onboard Lan (nVidia): Auto
    Onboard 1394 Device: Auto

Also a funny thing happened, up until now I had only tried USB ports 1-4 when I tried putting my USB modem in ports 5+6 It immediatly came up with unrecognized device bubble but this time it had a yellow (?) question mark but this time as a network adaptor andnot in the USB section. So it prompted that I install the drivers, which I did, but still no joy, altough it does seem to recognize the name and model of the device now!
    Also the USB Controllers now says unused port on 2 of the 6 hubs???

Now the 'headers' (little silver boxes) apply to Hubs 1 - 4 only 5+6 use a seperate slot, the MB is only 2 months old and seems to be fitted fine no shorts or anything!?

Also the manual says they are all capable of 2.0 support?

cheers

just thought this might also help

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Built-in Infrared Device OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 9 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
    IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 17 Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 OK
    IRQ 17 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 18 Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller OK
    IRQ 19 AudioSystem EWX 24/96 OK
    IRQ 19 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 OK
    IRQ 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller OK
    IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK

Well 'just a thought' is indeed revealing !

'Really' there's only 16 IRQs on any machine, (to do with a physical limitation & powers of 2 & all that stuff) - here acpi (that's what controls all this sharing business) in 'its infinite wisdom' has decided on some virtual ones (theres still only 16 ever, this is just a 'daft' way of representing extra ones which have to share), usually if the root usb hub isn't on a real one (so 0-15) then things get interesting ! (So thats the 'issue' sussed !).

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ! There I feel better now

Mmm so what to do ? .. well for a start lets try & free up some resources which we mighn't need to use up & maybe it can 'magically' fix itself ? (it often helps & it can't make it any worse )

So you definately applied the chipset patches ? (gotta ask again or we could do loads of stuff & then have to repeat it all 'cos we forgot this bit!)

I'll take a two stage approach with this (more questions & answers required this way, but less messing with your install required) - so to begin with lets go turn loads of stuff off in bios that we probably don't need anyway (bear in mind here I'm having 'a guess', so any 'why/I need that surley?' type questions want asking as we go ).

So in Bios I think you want to turn off all this legacy support (you don't have either usb mouse or keyboard - you asked 'what' on this - so its a usb 1.0 mode only setting), if you don't have a parallel printer either disable that in bios, make sure any sound stuff is definately off (we have seperate-not using onboard), infra red off if not used & same with sata controllers if no SATA disks..

Finally lets turn off all usb for now, reboot in safe mode, remove all or any of that lot above that still shows up & any duplicate entries for anything, then do a re-tard, make sure it doesn't find anything new, turn off, turn usb ports back on & restart normally, it should then hopefully re-find all the usb ports & importantly Hubs & we might be in business at this point .. but I'm not certain, once you get lots & lots of devices this gets progressively more & more difficult to get 'just so'

Unhappy ok, that didn't work!

well I have literally tried almost everything from a software point of view and nothing has worked. despite all you're good advice. and it has been first class.
    I think that, even though my motherboard functions well and everything appears to be fine, my USB ports for some reason have 'shorted' in some way. Probably because I may have installed it wrong, (although it was perfect for almost 2 months without a glitch??!)
    it has suddenly given up on me!

You guys had mentioned Header's earlier (the little silver box you put the 2 USB cables + 1 Ethernet cable in to) that is attached to the motherboard! DOes that sound right!?

there are clips to the back plate of the computer (where all the sockets pop through!) which are sticking out should these be in contact with the silver box??

Could you guys give me a little info on this?

Thanks you

Bump!

Any other suggestions before I shell out on a new motherboard?