(need help) XFX Geforce2 MX400 64MB PCI installed to a DFI K6XV3+/66 REV.B+ M/B

Thread: (need help) XFX Geforce2 MX400 64MB PCI installed to a DFI K6XV3+/66 REV.B+ M/B

(need help) XFX Geforce2 MX400 64MB PCI installed to a DFI K6XV3+/66 REV.B+ M/B

I am in need of assistance installing this video card to this m/b. The product tech support was of no help. I install this video card and the computer will not boot at all. I cannot see any error info because my monitor will not display without a signal from the card. There is power getting to the card as the GPU fan is running. One suggestion the tech made was to upgrade my bios but I am unable to determine if chancing the flash will be worth the trouble and solve my problem. I am also unable to aquire the proper upgrade for my m/b.

Here is my info:

BIOS Date: 12/31/99
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    Chipset: VIA 82C598 rev 4
    Superio: SMC 669 rev 3 found at port 3F0h
    CPU: AMD-K6 500 Mhz MAX: 266 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 768 MB

Any help is most welcome.

Thank You in advance.

Welcome to WD JEagle.
    Do you have another PC to check the new one in? You may have an IRQ problem if the card is not DOA. Try removing all cards except the video and tell us if you hear any beeps.

Thank you for the welcome.

I just tried what you suggested by removing all cards but the mx400 and tried it in every PCI slot with no luck. When i power up i see the HD and the DVD light up then normally before those lights go out i see an image but i am seeing no image on the monitor (needs a signal from the card to fire) and i have to physically unplug the power supply to shut down which also is not normal. I am using an ATI Rage Pro 8Meg card with no issues.

I keep telling myself "I love my computer"

Well this is why I asked if you had another PC to check this card in. It could be dead-on-arrival. Go and get a replacement card. You failed to mention if you here any beeps or not.

I do not have another PC here I can check this card in, I'm using my laptop at the moment. I do not here any beeps at boot. My apologies for not mentioning that before as I should have. Is it very common to have cards be DOA bought brand new? I've only bought a few since I've been in computers so I admit to not knowing a lot about video cards as this is the first trouble I've ever had with one. I've also tried just waiting to see if it is just taking longer but nothing after 5 minutes.

Thank you again for your help

Is it very common to have cards be DOA bought brand new?
    Sadly, it is too common. QC has gone way down over the years to keep costs down. If you bought it at a store locally, get a replacement.

Will do. I'm glad I took the time to sign up lest I'd have no hair left by now.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Doesn't the DFI K6XV3+/66 come with an AGP slot? If that is the case it could be a BIOS setting. You mention a ATI Rage Pro 8Meg card is it PCI or AGP?

All of your Bios & Mobo Driver Updates can be found here >>>http://www.dfi.com/support1/download.asp just use the drop down menus to choose your mobo model.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    Doesn't the DFI K6XV3+/66 come with an AGP slot? If that is the case it could be a BIOS setting. You mention a ATI Rage Pro 8Meg card is it PCI or AGP?

All of your Bios & Mobo Driver Updates can be found here >>>http://www.dfi.com/support1/download.asp just use the drop down menus to choose your mobo model.
    I don't understand Major. This new card is a PCI, and he has tried removiing all other cards and the pc won't boot. Tell me what you are thinking.
    BTW
    Gettin warmer up a yonder yet?

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    I don't understand Major. This new card is a PCI, and he has tried removiing all other cards and the pc won't boot. Tell me what you are thinking.
    BTW
    Gettin warmer up a yonder yet?
    If I remember right that DFI card was a little persnickity. I had one with a K6-2 500 MHz Cpu and it was actually fairly decent mobo, but it had one or two quirks. I seem to remember though there was a glitch in the set up and the way one of the jumpers had to be set. I believe there was a jumper between the AGP Slot and PCI 1 slot. If his old card was an AGP and his new one is a PCI he may have to fiddle with that jumper. At least I seem to remember there being a jumper (I sold the PC to a neighbor in Tucson in 2000 and I really haven't even thought about it until today). Like I said I'm getting too old and being at work for 5 more days doesn't help.

Weather wise you ask? Well up here at work (120 miles North of the Arctic Circle) it's clear, calm and 57°F with about 22½ hours of daylight, will be 24 hours in about another week and stay like that until August. At home in Eagle River according to my wife it's pretty darn nice and in the 60°F's and 18 hrs of daylight (we top out at about 21½ hrs).
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Well, if this Diamond Flower had a jumper to choose what type of card and his old ATI was in fact an AGP, that could indeed be the problem. Geesh, a jumper? I remember some AGP cards that had a jumper to tell the mb what speed it was (Diamond). Thank God for standards. I think JEagle will be back after he exchanges the card and let us know. Just can't find any info on old Dfi boards. Good suppport hey?
    PS
    Geesh, 20+ hours of daylight, huh? Land of the Midnight Sun and all that.

My apologies for not mentioning that the ATI Rage is PCI card. I have been using PCI since the case I was forced to use does not provide the proper opening for an AGP card to be inserted even though the board does support one. I gutted an old Toshiba ATX case I was given after they suffered a lightning strike. I replaced the power supply and bought the DFI back in 2000 andhave been using it since. I looked at all the settings in the BIOS before posting to be sure all was well there and I have never used the AGP slot so is doubtful ( I think) that any jumper settings should be an issue.

As TripleRltd suggested I had removed all cards except video and still same trouble. One thing I did discover that I have never had happen before was I have known I have a bad connector on the end of my monitor cord and it goes deep purple unless I have the cord a certain way which I beat by tacking it to the case. I replaced the ATI after trying everything and putting the cards back in. I was not getting any video and was getting the EXACT same symptoms as I have been getting from the XFX card. I have NEVER had anything like that happen before the XFX card. I corrected the connection to the monitor (removing it then reconnecting it like I had many times with the XFX card) and the computer fired up as normal. Is it possible my monitor is not compatible? My monitor was OEM with the original board that came with the computer. It will display 1024x and run at 75 refresh rate. I am just very surprise that it happened with the card that is working. But has been no way even reconnecting the monitor and checking connections to make the XFX card work.

Thank you for the support address MajorKong I shall explore that to see if there is anything I need to upgrade on this board that might help short of soldering. It gets that involved I'll buy a new board (know I need to soon anyhow).

Either of you know possibly a good place to sell some extra mem chips? I'm setting on some 256, 128, and 64 PC 100 chips I'd like to sell for funds to buy some DDR mem I'll need when I do buy a new board (currently have the DFI board maxed out mem wise so don't need the extras)

Thank you both for your help.