Werid 2000 Pro booting Problem

Thread: Werid 2000 Pro booting Problem

Werid 2000 Pro booting Problem

OK, This is a strange one.

I have a customer that every morning when she turn on her PC it starts to boot. When it get to the windows 2000 splash screen and the blue bar starts to cross the screen at the bottom, it stop half way. You can let the PC sit for ever, it will not go anywhere. The num and cap locks on the keyboard will work of a few mins, but then stop working as well. Now if you either complete power off the PC or just press the reset button, the PC will boot just fine and load windows. This only happens in the morning when she turns on the machine. After it came up for me i shut it down, pulled the power plug and let it sit for about 10 mins. Pluged it back in and it booted fine. The only happens in the morning. Has anyone seen anthing like this. The only thing attached to the PC is a HP 1300 Laser Jet. It was setup Paralell, and i did removed that device to see if that had anything to do with it. Same results. I also set it up as a USB Printer and got the same results. Any suggestions, or has anyone seem anything like this?

Thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FanBlade01
    OK, This is a strange one.

I have a customer that every morning when she turn on her PC it starts to boot. When it get to the windows 2000 splash screen and the blue bar starts to cross the screen at the bottom, it stop half way. You can let the PC sit for ever, it will not go anywhere. The num and cap locks on the keyboard will work of a few mins, but then stop working as well. Now if you either complete power off the PC or just press the reset button, the PC will boot just fine and load windows. This only happens in the morning when she turns on the machine. After it came up for me i shut it down, pulled the power plug and let it sit for about 10 mins. Pluged it back in and it booted fine. The only happens in the morning. Has anyone seen anthing like this. The only thing attached to the PC is a HP 1300 Laser Jet. It was setup Paralell, and i did removed that device to see if that had anything to do with it. Same results. I also set it up as a USB Printer and got the same results. Any suggestions, or has anyone seem anything like this?

Thanks

Rick
    I have encountered it while Using System Based on Two different AMD CPU (Athlon 700 and Athlon 1300) (and AOPEN Mainboards) - Most Bizzarly the system is not booted normally until the CPU/System is something like 31c (I don't know Ferenheit). What I did in this case was three things:
    1. Lowered RPM of Cpu and Case by factor of 20%
    2. Did a Little Overclocking (one from 1300Mhz to 1366 and The other from 700 to 733).
    3. Made the Ram check long and Made the OS boot slection Menu Timeout 150Sec
    (This is done in order to let the system Gain temprature).

This way the computer boots fine.

Again - this is a very bizzare Behaviour So I had to do something bizzare to remedy it.
    Usually computer systems are "Happier" when running cooler.

Tomorrow morning look on thermal sensors and tell me what is the temprature readings.

Cheers,
    Gabriel

I remember an issue I had with an AOpen (I think it was AOpen) that with win2k it would work but not all the time. The board required a BIOS update to function properly. I'd also just do a quick check of the HD just for curiosity's sake....
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

A quick google revealed that some boot issues were resolved in W2K with the release of SP2 so can only suggest that you make sure SP4 is on there before it's returned.

If you do find out what's going on then please let us know here.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know what i found out.

Thanks again.

Rick