NFS III installs but does not play on 98 or XP

Thread: NFS III installs but does not play on 98 or XP

NFS III installs but does not play on 98 or XP

Hello,
    I figure since I have been getting decent advice in other aras why not give this a shot. I am using the original NFS III CD that I used in the past to install this great game and it worked fine in the past. For HDD space reasons I had uninstalled it for a while. Other day I decided to try it again. It installs fine but I click to play thats it....nothing just a blank screen. This is the exact same computer it was on before, only changes are a DVD burner instead of a CDRW and running a dual boot 98/XP system. I have installed it to both O/S and the same problem. In the past it was installed under 98 with no problems. I even tried the no CD thing I have and same problem. Since EA maintains such WONDERFUL support for it's pc games (we all remember motor city ) even if they had an answer I'd have no way to aquire it. The video card is fine and the exact same one as when it did work. Just the dual boot and the DVD are different.

Lately tech has NOT been my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by JEagle
    Hello,
    I figure since I have been getting decent advice in other aras why not give this a shot. I am using the original NFS III CD that I used in the past to install this great game and it worked fine in the past. For HDD space reasons I had uninstalled it for a while. Other day I decided to try it again. It installs fine but I click to play thats it....nothing just a blank screen. This is the exact same computer it was on before, only changes are a DVD burner instead of a CDRW and running a dual boot 98/XP system. I have installed it to both O/S and the same problem. In the past it was installed under 98 with no problems. I even tried the no CD thing I have and same problem. Since EA maintains such WONDERFUL support for it's pc games (we all remember motor city ) even if they had an answer I'd have no way to aquire it. The video card is fine and the exact same one as when it did work. Just the dual boot and the DVD are different.

Lately tech has NOT been my friend!
    Have you changed Vid card drivers or DX?

I never did get it to run in xp but never had any issues in 98.

I did upgrade to DirectX9. Could that be the trouble? Never though Direct X to be a problem but then again when is it anything you expect? If it could be a Direct X issue is there a Direct X uninstaller as the 98 side is just to run my scanner and a few programs that dont like XP.

If you guys really want help with any NFS series racer, go to www.needforbetterspeed.net I am a moderator there and we more or less do all the NFS Underground support, EA sends them our way. We have sections devoted to the older NFS games as NFBS was formed originally becuase of High Stakes. There are links to all kinds of user-made updates to allow the older games to play on the newer systems. As well as tools to join others still playig those games online.
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead