USB not working on older machine (Win. 98 )

Thread: USB not working on older machine (Win. 98 )

USB not working on older machine (Win. 98 )

I just got a digital camera and I am having problems getting the USB to work on my computer so I can download the pictures.

It's an older machine Pentium (1 or 2) 166mghz . I have Windows 98SE on it and it doesn't seem to be able to read the USB ports which I have and which are connected directly to the mother board.

I called Olympus and they had go to My Computer/ Properties
    and it shows no USB support. Where can I find drivers to get those USB ports up and running?

Many Thanks.

Welcome to windrivers asennad. First of all, check that usb is activated in bios. Assuming it is, we need to know what motherboard is in the computer (or at least the chipset), or the make and model of the computer itself.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Like hudsonsmith implied, you will most likely need specific motherboard drivers to properly use your USB ports.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

A pentium 166 mainboard with usb on board was a rarity back then. USB had just started coming out with "placement" options on board. Geesh, we're talking a board nine years old maybe, unless it's a newer socket 7 board with the "older" pentium. I think we need to "see" this board: know what it is. Can you give us the name of this board? If not, at bootup read the bios string at the bottom and check www.wimsbios.com to find out the maker.