DVD-ROM/DVD-RW problem

Thread: DVD-ROM/DVD-RW problem

DVD-ROM/DVD-RW problem

OK, I just built a new system. Soyo Dragon2 Platinum, 1GB Dual Channel DDR3200, ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500 128MB (Hey, I couldn't afford EVERYTHING new!), SB Audigy (5.1 bliss), 160GB SATA drive and DVD-Rom and DVD-RW drives. Here's my problem. Whenever I plug in both the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives, I get nothing. No beep, no BIOS, nada. Unplug one or the other, and everythign is hunky-dory. I've tried every possible jumper combination, and tried running the drives seperate on every IDE channel on the board, and I'm stumped. Any suggestions, anyone?

Welcome to windrivers NiMoyad ..

Possibly what might help is a bios flash for your motherboard, have you checked you have the latest version of your motherboards bios ? Even then it mightn't ..

Are you using 80 or 40 sense cables ?

Can you give me both the DVD rom & DVD burner specs ? (preferably links to save me a little googling, or the exact models at least ..) - there's a whole load of 'techo-babble' to consider on MW DMA vs UDMA (I'll explain if you want to know )

Practical answer may very well end up involving an additional IDE controller card - roughly $30 or so, but the answers to the earlier questions should help me advise 'best' ..

One thing you might want to be sure of also (I didn't notice this mentioned) is that your jumper settings on the drives are proper. Confus-ed please correct me if this would not apply but making sure that one of the drives is jumpered to "Master" and the other to "Slave" especially if they reside on the same (Primary or Secondary) controller and cable might be causing them to kinda cancel each other out if both are set to "Master".

Just a thought as it happened to me before

P.S. I jusr reread the post and see you do mention trying jumper combos. Will leave this post just in case these are not the jumpers you speak of, if they are sorry for missing that. My bad
    Last edited by JEagle; May 17th, 2004 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEagle
    One thing you might want to be sure of also (I didn't notice this mentioned) is that your jumper settings on the drives are proper. Confus-ed please correct me if this would not apply but making sure that one of the drives is jumpered to "Master" and the other to "Slave" especially if they reside on the same (Primary or Secondary) controller and cable might be causing them to kinda cancel each other out if both are set to "Master".
    He says every single combination .. but yeah if two devices one as master the other as slave, or both as cable select (both units must support cable select - nearly all udma drives do now, maybe not here ? sometimes they are just plain old incompatiable for whatever reason ..).

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    He says every single combination .. but yeah if two devices one as master the other as slave, or both as cable select (both units must support cable select - nearly all udma drives do now, maybe not here ? sometimes they are just plain old incompatiable for whatever reason ..).
    Plus, for cable select, you would need a special cable.
    Where ya been -ed? Good to have ya back.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Plus, for cable select, you would need a special cable.
    Where ya been -ed? Good to have ya back.
    I done been busy ! nearly all the wires now are 'special' .. bit like you !

See here Configuration Using Cable Select - general rule of thumb is all 80 sense do it, many 40 do too & the simplest way is trying it ! ... but of course being confus-ed I always set master & salve (he! that should say slave ), unless that's not having it