ALI M5271 PCI card won't install hangs XP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ALI M5271 PCI card won't install hangs XP

Quote Originally Posted by lflier
    Found this thread in Google. Just registered...

I had the same problem as Jethoma. Bought a 3 port firewire/5 port USB card (Ali M5271) from Ebay. Installed it in the slot, started Windows XP (SP-1) and card was recognized and drivers installed. But when I checked in the device manager, nothing was working. Insterted the driver CD that came with the card and halfway through the driver installation, they system crashed and rebooted. Tried it again with the same outcome.

My solution, based on comments above was to remove the card in the device manager (remove every USB/1394 device that isn't working). Then run the Integrated207.exe driver (I got mine directly from www.ali.com.tw). Then reboot. New drivers installed automatically, and everything appears to work.
    GENIUS! Alright, i got a replacement Ali card after i RMA'd the retailer. The first thing i did was run Integrated207.exe. Then, i opened my case, installed the card, and booted up. XP started installing the drivers, and BAM it works! Great advice, lflier!

Btw, running XP Pro w/ SP2

I have the very same card, got it a while back and only used it on a new install today, and i get totally different results.

I have an MSI NEO2 mobo, P4 2.4, win xp pro, SP1 only, not sp2
    The minute i put the card in my mobo, it booted up!
    I didnt try one of the ports but i imagine its working but device mgr looks ok, with one except that existed before i installed this card, that is, there is a yellow exclamation mentioning "SM bus controller", but it has nothing to do with this card, at least i dont think it does.

Anyway, each time i turn my puter off, it turns off and then boots up again in an endless cycle. The only thing i can do to turn it off is to either remove this card or use the off switch on the power supply itself.
    As soon as i turn the switch on the power supply back on, my system boots up.
    I have tried moving the card to all of the pci slots and same thing happens.
    I did have the driver cdrom in my cdrom when i first installed the card, so i dont know if win xp pro installed its own drivers or used the cdrom i have.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have taken the card out and put in another card with only firewire on it and its fine. This mobo comes with 6 usb2 connectors of its own, but i use a lot of usb stuff and would like to see if i can tame this card.
    I tried downloading the drivers but at the ALI site I dont seem to be able to get these files now. I did download the integrated 207 from driverguide.
    I havent tried installing yet but there is still the prob that soon as i put the pci card in my system boots up. I havent located a bios setting that would affect this. My bios isnt set to turn on computer with keyboard or mouse.

thanks
    Last edited by nork; January 2nd, 2005 at 08:37 PM.

Welcome to windrivers nork. The smbus controller problem sounds like you don't have the chipset drivers installed. They are available here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7948 With any luck, this should solve the reboot issue as well.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks very much for the answer!
    I was pretty sure that i did that, but who knows, maybe not.
    I dont have the driver cd for this mobo but i thought i got what i needed from MSI website.
    So i will install the inf files and report back.
    I cant remember if you mentioned what exactly "SM bus controller" was?
    I can only guess at "smartmedia bus controller", and i didnt worry about it as i dont have a smartmedia connector on this mobo. I was thinking about trying a win xp pro repair, thinking maybe it was missed at the time and might be in the win xp pro cd, or even in sp1, but i have since installed sp1, but not sp2 yet.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by nork; January 3rd, 2005 at 10:32 AM.

SM Bus = System Management Bus
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks Hudson!

If i did have an inf file installed, i dont recall, but i did install this new one and it took the yellow mark away so that is all ok now, thanks to you!

The other prob still exists. I installed the inf file and then rebooted fully.
    I turned puter off and put the combo usbo2 & firewire pci card in and the system booted up again.

Imho, and it should be humble at this point, lol, i think its in the bios somewhere. I think i now have all i need installed to make this mobo and system work properly. That being the case, i think its either a bad card or a bios issue, i am leaning toward the latter, what do you think?

Thanks again for the help! You know, i should know better by now, thats what happens when I dont use my head and think a bit. But, this is how we get better at this, learning from mistakes. I hope i havent intruded too much on the original thread, but i figured its pretty old and kinda dead so it wouldnt matter much if i posted here, hope thats ok?

I just revisited the MSI website to see if i missed the intel inf file and its not even listed there. So i guess i hadnt installed it the first time around.
    I dont have the orig cdrom that came with the mobo.
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...=&Page=1&num=0
    change "all" to "intel"
    Last edited by nork; January 3rd, 2005 at 12:55 PM.

Solution #9

Well, I tried most of the above for the same problem w/ hanging on boot in XP. The integrated207 and 159 drivers weren't available where you mentioned it, but I found them here: http://www.mpl.ch/t24a3.html
    After using these two patches, the exact same things happened again. I went into to device manager and removed all the other working usb drivers, same problem on reboot. Back to device manager, I disabled (not removed) all the USB drivers, and lo and behold, it worked. I had to boot a second time to get XP to detect the 1394 device, and the other USB ports on my computer are still disabled and therefore inactive, but everything on this darned card works now after a mere 2 hours of frustration. Hope this helps somebody.

hi I am also having the same problem. If u found any solution please post me. thanks

Sandy by all means use the suggestions in the other threads - but don't post your question more than once.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."