Wireless network and playing videos

Thread: Wireless network and playing videos

Angry Wireless network and playing videos

Here is the problem, I used to have a completely wired network of four computers. (One Media Server, one media PC, My PC, and the wife's PC) We recently had to move, the house that we moved into was not conducive to hard wiring so I had to move to a wireless network (802.11g). Prior to moving I could play videos from my media server on my media pc with no problems. Now since I have gone wireless I can not play videos with out them being choppy and pausing. I have tried to change the waay media player caches the files, but that does not seem to help. I have turn all of the other wireless devices off as well, that did not help. The media sever is hard wired to the wireless router (Dell) and the media PC is telling me that I have a good signal and bounces between 40-54 mbits. Any ideas or help would be great. One note, I do not have a problem playing MP3's off of the server on the media PC.

Thanks!
    Achems Razor? Is that a new shaving system?

How's interference in the house? Got any 2.4ghz phones? You may show a "good" connection but that doesn't mean that it's a solid connection. Do a site survey with something like netstumbler. Try changing the channel on the ap. Also check your ap's logs (dhcp and the likes) to see if you don't have a leech.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    How's interference in the house? Got any 2.4ghz phones? You may show a "good" connection but that doesn't mean that it's a solid connection. Do a site survey with something like netstumbler. Try changing the channel on the ap. Also check your ap's logs (dhcp and the likes) to see if you don't have a leech.
    Very nice thinking Gollo, But I think the problem is with the wireless connection.
    40-54Mbit of network connection may be something like a data Stream of Maximum 4MByte per second (Tops) - This is not sufficient when using High bitrate Media files. don't forget 54Mbit MAXIMUM and there other peers connected.
    The only thing I can suggest in this case is Copying the files to the Viewing machine and than playing it.
    I believe it can be done with a batch file so you won't have to do it manually.

Missing.Digit - if you want help with Script/batch in this case - I can help you.
    BTW - you are really missing here...

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Last edited by Gabriel; May 24th, 2004 at 03:56 AM.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Very nice thinking Gollo, But I think the problem is with the wireless connection.
    40-54Mbit of network connection may be something like a data Stream of Maximum 4MByte per second (Tops) - This is not sufficient when using High bitrate Media files. don't forget 54Mbit MAXIMUM and there other peers connected.
    The only thing I can suggest in this case is Copying the files to the Viewing machine and than playing it...
    Err well methinks that your 4Mb/s 'tops' is pissed ! - do the same kind of sum with a 'b' class wireless & you get less than 1Mb/s - so I can say certainly you are at least being 'harsh' as I can watch my lappie download way above that... even with 128 bit encryption & all the other pants you can have with wireless like long preamble on the IP headers etc, I don't think it should ever come out less than about 25-30 .. ok that's still one hell of an 'overhead' but plenty here, so we are missing something else maybe ?

So lets try as suggested .. copy the damn thing, if it plays 'good' we have no hidden codec issues or any differences in machines accounted for & we need to look at the wireless bit, it may well not be 'overall throughput' at all but the pauses as firewalls, switcing etc does its work .. (try a big fat file copy & physically time it & let us know how that comes out)

..& big question - what's responsible for the resolution of all these addresses, if you are using your ISP as DNS & no other method for resolution then that'll be the issue .. (every time it wants another packet, its got to whizz off & ask your ISP where all the machines are, it wants to do that on your local lan)