Remove 98 get new pc

Thread: Remove 98 get new pc

Smile Remove 98 get new pc

HI Excellent resource and help thanks Board!!

I`m new here and far from computer wizz er anything . Mods delete this if its no cool please But if your here because your Win 98 just crashed again I feel your pain. This may help.

I used Win 98se for about 2 years or so,or should I say tried to. The daily routine was fixing the comp, to use it. Then one day I said F` it and installed Win.2k. The difference in stability is 100%. Where my ancient pc crashed and burned with every click now has no problem. I have not crashed since installation!! months ago!

So do yourself a favor get xp or 2k .

Hope this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by PK6
    HI Excellent resource and help thanks Board!!

I`m new here and far from computer wizz er anything . Mods delete this if its no cool please But if your here because your Win 98 just crashed again I feel your pain. This may help.

I used Win 98se for about 2 years or so,or should I say tried to. The daily routine was fixing the comp, to use it. Then one day I said F` it and installed Win.2k. The difference in stability is 100%. Where my ancient pc crashed and burned with every click now has no problem. I have not crashed since installation!! months ago!

So do yourself a favor get xp or 2k .

Hope this helps!!
    Don't worry about this getting deleted. In a way, it is very good advice. In another way, it is not. Win2k and XP are 32 bit OS's which use separate memory space for programs to run in, whereas 98/me..eek are hybid 32/16 bit OS's which share memory space between programs. 95/98 were put on the market at at time when 16 bit programs were the norm: dos and win 3.1 and it needed to be "backward" compatible. Hence, now with pure 32 bit: less crashes. There are, obviously, many other improvements (which I shan't go in to), and the MS ad campaign focused on exactly what you are talking about when the were prompting and cajouling everyone to upgrade.
    BUT, and it is a big but: not every "ancient" machine (as you call it) is capable of running a 32 bit OS and needs to be checked first. A good way to check, for anyone reading this would be to ask right here in this forum while providing your pc specs.
    BTW, in case noone has told you yet: welcome to WinDrivers.