Google Deskbar

Thread: Google Deskbar

Google Deskbar

Acquired from an older ArsTechnica bulletin:

Behold the Google Deskbar

Posted 11/07/2003 @ 10:48 AM
    by
    Ken "Caesar" Fisher
    Google has done it again. We all know about the Google toolbar... probably one of the most redeeming factors for sticking with Internet Explorer (it doesn't work on other browsers). Then, of course, there's the Google Calculator, Groups, and the Translation Tool. Now meet the Google Deskbar for Windows.

Google Deskbar enables you to search with Google from any application without lifting your fingers from the keyboard.

-Search using Google, even when your browser isn't running
    -Preview search results in a small inset window that closes automatically
    -Access Google from any application by typing Ctrl+Alt+G
    -Use keyboard shortcuts for multiple Google searches, i.e., Google News (Ctrl+N),Google Images (Ctrl+I), or Froogle (Ctrl+F)

The Deskbar pops a little search box onto your taskbar, but it's a little more exciting for that. Search results pop up in a small, hideable window (can be set to manual or auto-hide), making the toolbar perfect for looking up stock quotes, word definitions and the like. I've been playing with it for about 30 minutes, and I love it. Still, I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up my taskbar real estate to the application, especially since I a) always have a browser Window up anyway, and b) don't mind a few extra keystrokes. That said, this is the first public iteration, and you can expect Google to pour more Google juice into this thing. My prediction: this will turn out to be a RSS newsreader, too.

So the next question is this: is Google gunning for Microsoft? With recent press about merger talks, it has become clear that Microsoft is planning on bringing search interfaces into Longhorn in a central way. Now a Google search is just Ctrl-Alt-G away.

I just installed this on my work laptop and love it already.

Anyone else been using it?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I haven't tried it. I am waiting for the soon to be released Google file system search tool. In case you hadn't heard Google is ready to launch a tool that will enable faster, categorized searches of your hard drive. They claim it is better than the one Microsoft intends to incorporate in Longhorn. It is already being used in house at Google. From what I hear it will be released any day.
    Google is concerned since MS is going to include software very similiar to the Google Deskbar in Longhorn. So Google is going to strike first.

I know.

Can't wait for it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

The really cool part about these google add-ons is that you don't have to use them if you don't want to. Popup blocker,.. yes. Everything else,.. naww. Pointless imo.
    Hello World