ASUS P4R800-VM & XP Pro install glitch

Thread: ASUS P4R800-VM & XP Pro install glitch

Unhappy ASUS P4R800-VM & XP Pro install glitch

I'm having major problems and I need help. I am willing to pay the first person who helps me resolve this problem.

I'm trying to build five identical machines with the following parts:
    ASUS P4R800-VM Motherboard
    Intel P4-2.8c CPU
    Kingston 256MB PC3200 DIMM (KVR400X64C3A/256)
    Samsung 80GB SpinPoint HD (SP0802N)
    Samsung 52X-32X-52X CD-RW (SW-252)
    Teac 1.44 Floppy
    350W Power Supply

Every time I try to install Windows XP Pro, the system hangs after the installation performs the final reboot. At the Windows XP splash screen, with the blue rolling bar at the bottom, the system freezes after the bar rolls across 1 1/2 times.

Thinking that might be hardware in the first machine I was building, I set it aside and built another one identical. Once again, I received the same exact glitch.

According to a Microsoft white paper, there is a glitch with legacy USB support in the BIOS, which I therefore disabled. Same results.

I installed Windows 2000 Pro and downloaded all the updates. The computer ran just fine on Windows 2000. In the device manager the only NIC listed was the 3Com 10/100 adapter that's built into the motherboard.

When I upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Windows 2000 Pro, I once again received the same system hang, at the same place. When I entered the OS in safe mode and look at the device manager, I saw that there were now five devices listed in the network adapter part (I had disabled the 3Com 10/100 onboard adapter in the BIOS). These are the five devices that were listed;
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Direct Parallel

If anybody knows what I can do to get these machines to work properly I would be most appreciative. I would also be willing to pay the first person who helps me solve this problem.

Thanks,
    Shannon

Hi
    I am having the exact same problem.
    I found it to be the samsung cdrw drive. Once i removed it and used a different cdrw drive (the cdrwdvd combo by samsung) the problem went away.
    Still doesnt fix the cdrw rpoblem, but i am still searching for a resolution as the cdrw samsung drive is very cheap!

Welcome to WD both of you.
    First things first: we do not accept payment, unless you want to join WD. Perhaps someday we will have a "Donate" option, but right now we don't>WE provide FREE support!! Yeah, imagine that.
    Back to the problem:
    First thing to try is to use a "minimal" setup. Nothing more than the basics: video card, ram, and drives. Yes, even eliminate the cd for a bit. These are ALL good parts and since this has happened multiple times, we can count out the "minimal" parts. Yeah, try w/o the cdrw drive for a moment. And, since you sound like a shop, swap parts like the cd drive just to "check".
    Also, make sure you have the latest bios. and, I'm hoping, you're talking about XP sp1, right?
    Listen: five machines and all the same problem???
    Something is up here. Perhaps even your media is bad?
    Keep us updated because I am now real curious about what you find.
    PS
    Why Direct Parallel? How did that get installed????

Hi
    It is definately the samsung 52x32x52 cdrw (model sw252) drive causing the error.
    Once removed and rebooted the system continues to finalize the Xp installation procedure.
    Once put back in again after this it freezes.

tried changing master/slave settings and different IDE channels and no difference.

Your allll wrong. My friend had the same problem. He kept his compaq case cd/rw and etc, and just placed in the new mobo.
    I changed the CD ROM bios option to "not detected" and booted. it worked fine. and it still was detected inside of windows.
    It might just be his machine, I dont know. Might be a problem with the BIOS. Tell me what you find.

Payment would be nice! )

-Jesse
    Last edited by eskimo1; June 1st, 2004 at 01:20 AM.

My fix.

I turned in the ASUS motherboards and paid $14 more for an Intel board. My customer was getting too impatient. I doubt that I'll be buying an ASUS product any time soon.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes164
    I turned in the ASUS motherboards and paid $14 more for an Intel board. My customer was getting too impatient. I doubt that I'll be buying an ASUS product any time soon.

Thanks for the help anyway.
    You can't just sling 'any old cobblers' you like together you know !

Some stuff just won't work together with other stuff 'good' .. Part of what I do for a living is testing combinations of kit for such issues for the 'box manufacturers' who do exactly what people assume you can do 'completely' & use others peoples bits to create a machine, some degree of testing is always involved in that for the likes of dell, compaq, gateway etc etc

Wink The real solution

Even tho it no longer matters... for all who want to know.. the Asus P4R800-vm is a picky board... you have to have everything just right.. These boards are best left to the pro's. The onboard Radeon has to be set exactly right in the bios. your ram has to be signle sidded and in Bank 1 if there is only one stick, and if installing Xp you must fully install everything before the Radeon drivers... This must be done last. and about 10 other things must be happy or else the so called "shared memory" doen't share well...Thats the root of the evil with this board.. The Radeon doen't share memory well.. and DX commands cause infinite loop errors.. well... if you only have 256 ram in one sigle sidded stick.. then set the Northbridge on the bios for the Video to AGP/PCI(not PCI/AGP)... the Video Share to 64... and the UMA share to 64.... Under PNP you must leave PCI video IRQ to YES ... and PNP OS to NO. I also recomend flashing the bios to the P4R003.ami or 3rd revison.. because the 4th is buggier... Hope this helps Do a fresh install.. not an upgrade.. Fdisk that Drive and start from scrath.. one old Radeo file can throw a wrench in the work.. cuz it might pick it up and auto detect.. L8R...