XP pro password/logon mess

Thread: XP pro password/logon mess

Angry XP pro password/logon mess

I have setup a new XP Pro machine. Usert was logging on no problem, until she asked me to set up a password change for her at next logon. So
    I went server, and put in old password (1234-used for setup), where it said password-I confirmed it, then checked user must change password at next logon. But the prompt to changew password never came. So I had her enter new password on server, again checking "change password at next logon". Again the prompt never appeared. I don't even know what password it is looking for right now.
    we can logon to the local machine using 1234, but not onto the network, which I don't understand, because we never setup a separate password for the network.....

confused and ready to throw computer out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg214
    I have setup a new XP Pro machine. Usert was logging on no problem, until she asked me to set up a password change for her at next logon. So
    I went server, and put in old password (1234-used for setup), where it said password-I confirmed it, then checked user must change password at next logon. But the prompt to changew password never came. So I had her enter new password on server, again checking "change password at next logon". Again the prompt never appeared. I don't even know what password it is looking for right now.
    we can logon to the local machine using 1234, but not onto the network, which I don't understand, because we never setup a separate password for the network.....

confused and ready to throw computer out the window.
    How about "deleting" the account and setting up a new one for the user? What is the network OS, btw?

You can just log onto the XP machine as "Administrator" then change the local password from there in the "User" settings located in Control Panel. For the network login,.. just go to the user account (in active directory or NT user manager) and manually change the password there. Be sure to set it so that the user never has to change the password (at least for now). Then reboot the XP machine and try again. Btw,.. is the XP machine set to login to a domain? Or is it a workgroup computer? Also, are you using Active Directory? Or NT User Manager on your servers? Just curious.
    Hello World

Oh, btw,.. Just as a rule of thumb, I would not allow users to change their own passwords. As an admin, there should be security policies in place that you setup to define standard passwords. Only you and the user should know what that password is. Also, setting the server to "change password at next login" is only going to create more headaches down the road. It also depends on how many users and networks you're admining. I mean there are entire books and classes dedicated to this subject alone so there's no way to sum it all up in one post. But I just wanted to add that 2 cents.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    Oh, btw,.. Just as a rule of thumb, I would not allow users to change their own passwords. As an admin, there should be security policies in place that you setup to define standard passwords. Only you and the user should know what that password is. Also, setting the server to "change password at next login" is only going to create more headaches down the road. It also depends on how many users and networks you're admining. I mean there are entire books and classes dedicated to this subject alone so there's no way to sum it all up in one post. But I just wanted to add that 2 cents.
    Where did you get your security pointers? It managers should not be made aware of user passwords, that is the user responsibility, and their own supervisor should there be a specific need to make them only semi-private. If you need to work on the users PC, and need their password, you should ensure that they change their password immediately after your work is complete. And...YES, allow the users the ability to change their own password!!!

The change password at next login seems to be your struggle cmg214. This feature should work no problem. But we need to be aware of your environment before troubleshooting this problem. As Webby mentioned, is the PC a member of the domain, and what sort of domain is this (NT4, 2000, 2003, even a SBS), or are we talking about a workgroup?

I wouldn't start deleting accounts and recreating them either. Sorry Trip...gotta call you on that one. Because of the GUID (or SID) associated with the user, deleting and recreating is going to change the IDentifier. This could spell trouble depending on some features in your environment, so I wouldn't go there unless you are sure it is not going to cause other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know

I wouldn't start deleting accounts and recreating them either. Sorry Trip...gotta call you on that one. Because of the GUID (or SID) associated with the user, deleting and recreating is going to change the IDentifier. This could spell trouble depending on some features in your environment, so I wouldn't go there unless you are sure it is not going to cause other issues.
    Well, good call. I would hope that he would know that as well, and also that is the reason I asked what NOS. Also, it looked to me like a new user where other issues wouldn't come in to play yet, but only he would know.
    BTW
    wrby: entire books dedicated to the subject of logging into a network?