Need modem recommendation

Thread: Need modem recommendation

Need modem recommendation

I'm giving an old laptop to a niece. The system doesn't have a builtin modem, but does have XP Pro and 2 usb ports. The no-name modem card that I have for it is missing the specialty cable to connect to the phone line. I need a modem recommendation for a FAILSAFE modem installation ... preferably USB that she can install herself. She is NOT a geek and I'm a few hundred miles away. DSL isn't available to her, this is unfortunate since the laptop does have a working pcCard.

TIA for any suggestions.
    Last edited by OldBob; May 24th, 2004 at 09:38 PM.

V.90 56k External Usb Fax Modem from Zoom for guaranteed low price of $89.92. Buy.com offers "The Lowest Prices On Earth". Buy.com: Zoom V.90 56k External Usb Fax Modem

If need more help type in any search engine USB phone modem

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't need help finding a modem, I need help finding a modem that actually has a simple, relatively foolproof installation in Windows XP. I've read lots of reviews of various modems where the writer complains about obsolete drivers in the box (I've had this experience) and various other installation woes and problems with subsequent operation. I know from my own experiences that old fashioned fax modems are among the more tempermental beasts. My niece is a housewife who is going back to school and she is several hundred miles away from my hands on help.

This laptop is elderly, but in very good shape. I'd be willing to bet that the USB ports are v1.0 (I'm actually surprised that it even has USB). I found in one review that the reviewer had a problem with USB 1.0 - he didn't say why.

Does the laptop have a serial port?

If so, maybe pick up an external serial modem? I believe almost all USR external serials don't even need drivers (they are built into the OS). All of the ones I've dealt with have been absolutely bullet-proof.

I'd stay away from a USB modem, especially if the laptop is running an early rev. It may not be capable of running anything beyond a mouse!

The downside to either option is having to drag the external modem, cables, wall wart, etc. along for the ride if she intends to take the laptop back-and-forth between home and school and needs internet connectivity at both places.

I think that we're going to go with the serial modem. That won't be a problem as far as school goes. When she's there, she can just plug into the campus network. She just needs the modem for home.

I agree that the USB is probably a bad idea with the likely very early USB ports on the laptop. Similarly, PCMCIA cards don't seem to have been updated since I got the one that I lost the cable for. But, serial modems still seem to be moving forward ... wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBob
    ... PCMCIA cards don't seem to have been updated since I got the one that I lost the cable for. But, serial modems still seem to be moving forward ... wonder why.
    How long ago was that? You say an old lappie with XP on it? There was/is a big difference between the older 16 bit PCMCIA and the newer 32 bit Cardbus. Why you ask? External serial modems don't sell in numbers even remotely as many as years ago, but they are easy to set up and reliable.