PCMCIA LAN card

Thread: PCMCIA LAN card

Question PCMCIA LAN card

Hi,
    I have a PCMCIA Readylink Compex 10/100 LAN Card.
    Not sure what driver it needs though, either
    TX16A or
    RTL100 (re100nd4.inf)

cant find anything on the compex site, does anyone have any ideas (for win98 SE).
    CHeers

found this link for the <a href="http://ww.compex.com.sg/cgi-bin/e-driver/cgi-bin/prod_view.pl?953107951@938865839@955533500" target="_blank">LinkPort/TX16A </a>

edited I don't see anything for a readylink I will have to do some more searching.

I believe Deseqer you found the right drivers for the card for Buksida.

It's very annoying when companies market the stuff as one thing and call it another on the support site.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks for the help!
    i have older versions of these drivers that were giving me trouble. i have downloaded and used the new ones but its the same. windows recognises the card and installs the drivers for it but everytime i re-boot it tells me the wrong driver is installed and to update to a new one. the TX16A PCI driver installs (but its always disabled) and it never shows up in network neighbourhood. maybe the card has malfuntioned?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by buksida:
    <strong>thanks for the help!
    i have older versions of these drivers that were giving me trouble. i have downloaded and used the new ones but its the same. windows recognises the card and installs the drivers for it but everytime i re-boot it tells me the wrong driver is installed and to update to a new one. the TX16A PCI driver installs (but its always disabled) and it never shows up in network neighbourhood. maybe the card has malfuntioned?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The other possibility it is the tx16 - not the 16a, there are drivers at compex for that too. To confirm, can you tell us the fcc id on the pcmcia card? And what dongle it has?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hi,
    it doesnt have an FCC number on it, only a serial number.
    whats a dongle? (sorry for the ignorance )

Dongle it the thing that hangs out of the card itself and allows the rj45 or bnc cable from your network to connect it. Don't know why its called a dongle, it dangles- Usually in the way!

Are there any numbers or marking on that card at all?

dongle has nothing on it either, just a standard RJ45 one.

When windows detects it, does it name it? Does it see compex... or does it say Realtek or other name and model?

noonoo,
    yes it does but i think thats because i have installed about 3 different drivers for it and it automatically reverts to the most recent one (the one i downloaded). i have manually removed all drivers and .inf files but on re-installation of the card its the same. do you reckon a re-format is needed?

Buksida, before you go that far, I would try the pcmcia card in another laptop. It IS possible that the card is faulty.

Many cards can be installed using NE2000 compatible drivers - whether it would work for your card I do not know, but its worth a try just to see if it will install.

Finally have you emailed Compex? See if you can get any further information from them?

The good thing about formatting is that you know an old or incorrect driver cannot be hanging around to mess up the installation. I suggest if you do format, you export the registry before installing the card so that you can go back to a clean registry each time.

noonoo,
    yeah, i'll try to find another laptop to try the card in first. then i'll know whether to go ahead with the format or not. cheers for your help!