Problem with my internet connection/ cable modem

Thread: Problem with my internet connection/ cable modem

Post Problem with my internet connection/ cable modem

Hi everyone, I had my cable modem for over a year now with no major problems. But yesterday my problems bagan. I can't seem to be able to surf the web for more than 1 or 2 min when i open my computer. My internet provider says i am conneceted so does my computer. Now i am disabling and enbaling my connection every 2 mins...so i could post my problem in forums . I don't know what could be the problem?! Is my modem broken or is there something wrong with my configuration?
    Also the tech support from my internet provider suggested that i re-install my internet protocole TCP-IP. But i cant seem to be able to do that!

Thanks in advance
    Joe

Joe,

Who is your isp and what modem do you have and which windows version are you running?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have a samsung SCM-110R (i think). Mi internet service provider is Videotron and i have WinXP pro running.

Have you tried just disabling your network card and then rebooting and re enabling it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yup doesnt work....i still have to diable and enable after a min of use.....

is there another solution?
    how do i re-install my internet protocole TCP-IP?

Thumbs up

get on the phone to videotron,they will talk you through reinstalling your internet connection and they have a free long distance number for support,hope this is of help,
    clauded

i called 4 times each time giving me something new.....but nothing worked!
    the first time they foud a spyware on pc that blocks internet connection! I got rid of it with adaware but the problem is still there!

Thanks alot guys for your help bu keep the solutions comming

btw how do i re-install my connection? i cant delete my current connection!

ok, a few things to try.

Run a ping test to your gateway, leave it going, when you loose your connection, see if you can still ping.

Under XP TCP/IP cannot be reinstalled. MS deamed it "A necessairy component" and because of that, it can't be removed/reinstalled.
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299357" target="_blank">Here</a> you will find instruction on how to reset your default settings of TCP/IP. Some ISP won't do it because it involves regestry editing (to a certain degree)

Check your lease period on the IP address that the ISP gives you. have the ISP ping the modem and see if it get's lost when you loose your connection.

Try powering off your modem for over a minute, that should reset everything.

If you have a second computer, try it and see if you experience the same issue.

Hope it helps.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

hmmmm when i reset my tcp-ip by using this command line "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt " then netsh.exe window appears and close immidealty with nothing written on. is this normal?
    How do i run a ping test?

Thanks

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JoeNiceguy:
    <strong>hmmmm when i reset my tcp-ip by using this command line "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt " then netsh.exe window appears and close immidealty with nothing written on. is this normal?
    How do i run a ping test?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes it's normaly, if you look at the file "resetlog.txt" you'll find all the changes that where made.

a ping test is "Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with an optional -t at the end if you want it to run continusouly. This is done at a dos prompt window.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

See if you have a user interface to your modem. I know some do and some dont. perhaps the answer is there. I know my Motorola tells me signal strenght and loss of block sync. Perhaps there is line noise that you are contending with.

Have they sent a tech out to check your line?

hmmm ok ..i can always get a constant ping when ping my ip. Also i reseted my Tcp-Ip but nothing hapenned. Then i called one of my freinds ( a computer genious) to see if he could help me. But he told me that him too had that exact same problem! He was stuned when i told him that one of tech support from videotron told me to reformat! I know Videotron workers are on strike right now...but could they lie to me and saying the problem is not from them but coming from me!? Some videotron employees sabotaged some lines i guess...
    I know they are gonna get a mouthfool of me bitchin! But i need to make sure the problem is from them before ....wich i am almost certain!