Voip

Thread: Voip

Voip

Anyone use Voice Over IP (voip)?

Im looking to get this service for my 4th phone line.

http://www.usa.att.com/callvantage/what/index.jsp

has unlimited long distnce, log files, silent mode, coller id, blocking, and more list goes on..

Anyone know of a good provider? Or use voip?

I just finished a test with Bell Canada using their Internet phone system (Internet Voice), which is similar.

It worked almost flawlessly. The only problem I had was that the "router" sometimes had to be rebooted.

The quality was amazing - better than my landline at times. Talking with cell phone users was just crystal clear.

The bonus was having 2 other "secondary" numbers in other parts of Canada where people calling in would see it as a local number.

The "router" device was portable and could be taken along when I needed to have a phone with me wherever high speed connections were available (didn't try it from the LAN at work).

We're curently testing a VOIP solution at work for our mobile users, and planing to deploy within the next months.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

We have it internally at my company connecting our offices. Most of the time it is fine, but as network traffic increases, the quality decreases. On a few occassions, the audio broke up completely. It is also problematic for faxes.

Now I wouldn't necessarily compare a proprietary application to a commercial one, but I would want to try it out over a period of time.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

sweet thanx for the reply, I have 2 phone lines, and want a 3rd line (for company) and I thought this would be a good route (if power goes down I have cell phone and 2 other lines )

vonage has a get up as does net2phone I think. I'ave heard goog things about the vonage setup though cause you can pick an area code that they offer service in (ie family in chicago calls a local number and rings out in cali etc)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert