More Boot Problems!

Thread: More Boot Problems!

Exclamation More Boot Problems!

I am currently trying to work on a Dell Dimension 8250 with an intel P4 2.80 chip using Win XP Home Edition.
    The box is having a boot problem, where it just hangs with a blackscreen after the Win XP Home splash screen.When i try to boot into safe mode the bypassed driver list goes as far as the agp440, and hangs after that.
    I have tried fdisk /mbr with no luck. I also did a chkdsk from the recovery console with no luck. Is there any hope for this box other than a fresh install?

Try VGA mode & make any changes there ? - safe mode confusingly may still be trying to use some drivers ! VGA mode supposedly makes no reference at all to any video related stuff other than VGA.sys which is a one sized fits all 'except really really fc-uked' video issues mode ..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Try VGA mode & make any changes there ? - safe mode confusingly may still be trying to use some drivers ! VGA mode supposedly makes no reference at all to any video related stuff other than VGA.sys which is a one sized fits all 'except really really fc-uked' video issues mode ..

pardon the inexperience.......how can i access vga mode?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ftrain576
    pardon the inexperience.......how can i access vga mode?
    Pardon !?! .. same way you can get to safe mode, press f8 'like a nutter' after beep & its one of your choices

Pardon !?! .. same way you can get to safe mode, press f8 'like a nutter' after beep & its one of your choices
    Thanks........will give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ftrain576
    Thanks........will give it a whirl.
    Sorry guys....still no good. All i'm getting is the splash screen, followed by a blank black screen.

Have a look at this link How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install next then

I ran into a very similar situation a couple of weeks ago. The problem turned out to be one of the PCI cards installed (USB 2.0 card). Once I removed the card it started working again. You may just want to start removing or unplug devices one by one and see if that makes a difference.
    Dell does have a support forum on their website. You are probably going to have to register to get in but it is moderated by Dell. But even better other technicians also use that site. I have found a lot of fixes there.
    You may also want to download the latest BIOS for that PC.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daveb316
    I ran into a very similar situation a couple of weeks ago. The problem turned out to be one of the PCI cards installed (USB 2.0 card). Once I removed the card it started working again. You may just want to start removing or unplug devices one by one and see if that makes a difference.
    Dell does have a support forum on their website. You are probably going to have to register to get in but it is moderated by Dell. But even better other technicians also use that site. I have found a lot of fixes there.
    You may also want to download the latest BIOS for that PC.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    I read this as a previously working install, so 'slot shuffle' methinks probably won't apply, however removing all un-necessary cards for boot & trying with just agp/pci video, memory & hard disk present, is always a good answer for boot issues, its to do with acpi, flashing bios to the latest version in situations like this is almost always helpful too ..

2ftrain576: - Can you confirm whether you are fixed up or not ?

I read this as a previously working install, so 'slot shuffle' methinks probably won't apply, however removing all un-necessary cards for boot & trying with just agp/pci video, memory & hard disk present, is always a good answer for boot issues, its to do with acpi, flashing bios to the latest version in situations like this is almost always helpful too ..

2ftrain576: - Can you confirm whether you are fixed up or not ?
    Sorry guys.........could not take it any longer...too much time spent,. went for the fresh install, but learned a lot ...thanks for the help.

Fair do's dude ... sometimes its just one hell of a lot easier !

(a note of 'fixedness' or 'I gave up & f'disked the muther !' , though is often helpful to tell folks you don't need further suggestions )